DIY PROM Do It Yourself PROM chip burning help. No PROM begging. No PROMs for sale. No commercial exchange. Not a referral service.

Need help connecting ALDL cable to laptop.....

Search this Thread

Old 10-21-2003, 05:35 PM
Supreme Member

Received 83 Likes on 70 Posts
Car: 87TA 87Form 71Mach1 93FleetWB 04Cum
Originally posted by Kingtal0n
whatever you do, dont use a laptop without a battery in the car running off the inverter.

Oh yeah, sure it may work for a little while but...

I've already had some serious data corruption simply because the laptop would flip out mid-stream if the voltage dropped below 13.5~ (like at lights or stops)..

I also had it strand me once, car died mid-stream of sending data to the ECU... Laptop cant run without car running so IT died, leaving me with a half-full ECU and unable to start the car so i could start the laptop and re-send the data
This really depends on what the laptop is expecting, some will work flawlessly, others will not. FWIW, I would always turn the laptop off before starting the car.

[B][QUOTE]and on top of all that, it seems the power coming from the inverter is very dirty. the laptop doesnt really like it... i force it to work though. but it gives me all sorts of weird power related problems. suddenly the LCD will go black or suddenly ill get a weird freeze spot if the voltage dips.[B][QUOTE]

the laptop power supply depends on some power fluctuations to work. If you scope the output of your power supply that you normally plug into a normal AC power socket you’ll see that it does not entirely remove the ripple from the output, and if you scope the voltage from a running car you’ll find that it’s similar. If you make the effort to filter all of this out you’ll find that your battery will not charge and the laptop may not work at all
Old 10-22-2003, 12:50 AM
Supreme Member

Received 70 Likes on 61 Posts
Car: 240sx
Engine: whatever works
Transmission: 4l80e this year
Axle/Gears: 3.512
Originally posted by B4Ctom1
I never imagined my brand new laptop would have come without one.
yes its sad... the laptop im currently USING this MOMENT is my brand new Sony i just got 1 month ago... and guess what? NO SERIAL PORT! When i bought it i had no idea i was going to need it like this either.

<b>FWIW, I would always turn the laptop off before starting the car. </b>

hehe crossfire.. did you catch the part about the laptop not working unless the car was running already? I still cannot find an old laptop that will start off the cars D/C output while its not running. Ive tried 3 already... but they were all toshibas that my pet dinosaur was using earlier in the cretacious period.
Old 10-22-2003, 03:15 AM
Supreme Member

heh, I've got an ancient Toshiba, Compaq and Everex (all P60 or older), and an IBM (PII 300, nothing special but I like it) that all work fine like that.
Old 10-22-2003, 08:10 AM

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
Car: 1986 Pontiac Firebird Trans Am
Engine: 305 Tuned Port Injection
Transmission: The famous 700R4
Axle/Gears: No idea
Well,

What about the power supply to your ALDL interface cable? You can use 12V from cigarette lighter or my system: I use a 9 volts battery + 1 switch.

And, did you try the old-old C. Moates software (6b004 stuff)?. When I re-wrotte the 8.52 version, it didn't work for me (it had a compilation problem).

Denis V.
Old 10-24-2003, 07:11 PM
TGO Supporter

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Car: 1992 B4C 1LE
Engine: Proaction 412, Accel singleplane
Transmission: built 700R4 w/custom converter
Axle/Gears: stock w/later 4th gen torsen pos
Tonight about 15 minutes ago I picked up a radio shack USB adapter. There has been some mixed success stories here in DIY with it I will give it a try and get back to you guys on it.
Old 11-21-2003, 09:49 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally posted by jamesbob02
Update:

I got that old computer from my sister. Formatted it, installed Win98, disabled the IR port, and used ALDLtest. It failed on every account. It worked in Hyperterminal, though. I didn't think it would work, but for the hell of it I hooked it up to the car and ran Datamaster....it WORKED! So cool.... I think the difference is the direct com port instead of a usb adapter. I also got it to work in Moates, even within Win98, but I couldnt get CarBytes to work at all, and Freescan only worked when I hit "Force Data", so I had to keep clicking to get more data - sucked. The data I'm getting from Moates is really helpful, but I can't get Panalyzer to work, it just crashes when I try to load a run, so I haven't been able to do much analyzing yet.
Could you please send me the log file you try to run Panalyzer with?

I will fix the problem right away!
My mail is: peter@kod.nu
Old 11-21-2003, 09:52 AM

And one more thing, make sure you are running the latest
version. There's been a lot of updates to it lately.
Old 11-21-2003, 03:48 PM
Supreme Member

Car: 92 Z28
Engine: 357 TPI (L98)
Transmission: 700R4
I would, but it's on the old computer, and neither have disk drives. However, I don't think it's completely necessary, as I can tell you what it was. I made the log using Moates software, so it's in that standard, and was, I believe, 1.6 MB big. I think that was the problem, as I was able to open smaller runs, but I couldn't get bigger ones to work. My guess is its because of the slow computer, and not the fault of the program. And I was using the latest version at that time.

If you really think you can find something buggy to work out, I'll figure out a way to get it to you, but I think all you really need to know is that it was Moates standard and nearly two megs or more.
Old 11-22-2003, 08:34 AM

Originally posted by B4Ctom1
Tonight about 15 minutes ago I picked up a radio shack USB adapter. There has been some mixed success stories here in DIY with it I will give it a try and get back to you guys on it.
Any luck with the new USB adapter?
Old 11-22-2003, 09:55 AM
TGO Supporter

sorry I need to try it still, sorry I been screwing around and not trying it out, I barely been giving my car any attention lately. Good thing it can't cheat on me.
Old 12-05-2003, 09:42 PM
TGO Supporter

well finally I hooked it all up today low and behold it didnt farking work.

the radio shack usb to serial port adapter acted the exact same way as the serial PCMCIA card did.

Dear software dudes, please sell a scanner tuner that allows the use of windows XP and a USB port and I will buy it. It appears that I will be going with an aftermarket ECM unless I happen to see a laptop: with a serial port, but no IR port, that doesnt run XP, and costs less than a third of what a aftermarket ECM does, whew! thats alot to ask for, thats why I will likely be going aftermarket with the ecm using the money I saved for my trailer to haul my crappy untuned running cars around.
Old 12-05-2003, 11:26 PM
Supreme Member

Tom you know the Commander 950 ECU is only $520 but it uses serial also...

i had to go out and buy a brand new Athlon HP (using it right now in fact) that had serial built in to use it with my commander 950 ECU! Before i got this thing, and before I had the crappy toshiba from the stone age, this is what i was doing to tune it...

definetelly an option if you dont have a serial port!
Attached Thumbnails Need help connecting ALDL cable to laptop.....-compcar.jpg  
Old 12-06-2003, 12:00 AM
TGO Supporter

haha I can see it now, Im cruising around with a full sized PC in the car hooked to an inverter.

I think it is the program, mr moates has built a fine program but it might be a little old to try to haywire in some converters and on top of that add XP in the mix.

my machinist is an emic dealer he says it works good with a serial adapter, Im going to go try to see how that works at his shop. He says FAST doesnt work with serial adapters. have you tried serial adapters with the C950? I cant get another laptop, I already barely got this one just a bit ago. I need to try maybe another scan program. any suggestions?
Old 12-06-2003, 01:48 AM
Supreme Member

Tom you know the Commander 950 ECU is only $520 but it uses serial also...
Who has it that cheap? That's $20-60 less then I've seen it anyplace...
Old 12-06-2003, 03:28 AM
Supreme Member

oOPS HLY-534-120 ECU for Commander 950 Monday $538.99

summit HAD it for 522 but i guess its 538 now oh well? still cheaper than $3000.

<b>haha I can see it now, Im cruising around with a full sized PC in the car hooked to an inverter.</b>

I tried it tom, it didnt work the inverter (600 watts) couldnt handle even the monitor being on. i would have done it that way too!

I tried 2 serial "adaptors" one was a docking station (USB) the other was a USB - serial PDA adaptor, neither seemed to work. I talked to someone running TEC3 in a Miata using a USB - Serial Docking station (similar to mine) and it was working good, so theres probably a way to make it work but we are too stupid to figure it out

Maybe holley should MAKE a USB - Serial Adaptor for the commander 950 (which would probably work for all the other ECUS....) and sell it for like $50 and they could probably make a decent profit off it seeing how many people NEED this thing. Hmm Maybe I can make one? I know how to communicate with the Serial but not the USB... let me do some research on opening and configuring a USB port connection. I bet theres a way...
Old 12-06-2003, 11:51 AM
TGO Supporter

it seems to be all about the com port as far as the moates software goes. It seems too rigid in its needs thats why I am hoping that there is something else I can try as far as software. Im hoping to find some other free source scanning software in case it doesnt work either. I would not be afraid of paing if the manufacturer has a USB cable already and or knows thier software works with XP, and brand x usb to serial adapter, and brand Y scanning cable.
Old 12-06-2003, 01:55 PM

Car: 1980 Jeep CJ7
Engine: AMC 360 with GM TBI
Transmission: TF727 set for kill...let's get it on!!!
This new laptop I got is so old that it still has a PCMCIA CD-ROM player...running off of Win 3.1. I can't believe people still actually have Win 3.1 on any computer. I am about to load Win 95 on it to see if it will actually work with my ALDL connection. I sure hope so since it is the only laptop I have access to and if it doesn't work, I'll have to do the same thing a Kingtal0n with the desktop PC hooked up to the car in the carport.
I simply can't understand why the PC industry wouldn't have kept COM port compatibility between older computers and newer systems. I find it amazing that we have to use a 12 year old computer to do this when Win XP is probably one of the best OS's that Microsoft has ever put out.
Old 12-07-2003, 03:46 PM

Car: Cobra Kit Car
Engine: 350 HSR
Transmission: TKO 600
Axle/Gears: 3.31
Hi gents,
I hope that this can help you. I have tried the new software from Craig ECM852 and I think that I have hit the “1” for 1000 times and nothing happens.
I have and old laptop Toshiba satellite CDS200.
ALDLtest doesn’t work but when I use the DataMaster I can connect and get my data.
I have an AKM cable and used the Hyper Terminal test like they explain and it works, but with the Craig software doesn’t work.
OK what I did is download the old one software ECM850B and hit the “1” and at the third hit it starts to spit data. (I did a ECM memory Dump) so I got the bin file from the EPROM.
Check the screen shot that I made from the settings. The baud rate is 7904 maybe this help to some one.
Next week will come my new IBM laptop G40 but I found that this baby don’t have a serial port, so I am in the s..t guy’s.
Please let us know when you solved we are in trouble.
Regards,
Cobra289
Attached Thumbnails Need help connecting ALDL cable to laptop.....-850.jpg  
Old 12-08-2003, 07:40 PM

Hello Gents,
I posted under the Xtronics USB cable thread. I wwant to jump on this formal thread.
I am running a tosh laptop with dual boot win XP/win98 I use XP 99% of time.
No serial ports on laptop. only usb.
My radio shack USB adapter works great with my romulator, LM1 wideband and personal programmer.

I have had zero luck with tunerpro RT ALDL,moates and datamaster . I read all of these threads. Data displays calbe is good but no link to PCM.
I have been using diacom on a old compac 386 laptop. it links right up.
Car is 85 corvette with 7730 conversion. CAble is fully assm AKM with 12v adapter.
I have booted in both OS's. varied the com port settings via device manager(9600,115K baud etc....)
NO luck.
Tommorow or wed I may bring one of my fullsize PC's in garage for testing .
Guys dont down the cable. MY usb cable works great with everything else.
If my full rig PC with com port faiols then I may see about a exchange of the AKM cable.

Dont know what else. Any ideas?????

Dennis
Old 12-08-2003, 09:12 PM

UPDATE,
Brought spare tower PC out to garage. AMD900 running WinXP.
New house with only one outlet. All cords still packed. What a mess.
finally loaded up TTS and tunerpro RT - They both linked right up when AKM cable connected direcdtly to serial port.
So AKM cable is good.
load up the USB cable... switch to usb com port.

Check device manager...USB is there on com 3
load TTs --NOGO
load tunerpro RT--NOGO

Getting late so I will mess with settings more tommorow.
Could be usb driver for winXP or ??????

Dennis
Old 12-08-2003, 09:50 PM
Supreme Member

I have a few ideas to try out soon. one of them is switching the USB IRQ to the same as the "emulated" Serial port. I have a hunch that because the IRQ your "fake serial port" is using doesnt match the IRQ of the USB port its plugged into, some software dont see the Serial device (i.e. ECM) because the software it trying to get information from the wront IRQ.

Ive been reading up on USB communication, and long story short, just about every USB device uses some kind of interpreter driver. maybe the problem isnt in the USB-Serial Adaptor, maybe the problem is we dont have the right "interpreter(driver)" for the USB port to communicate with the ECM. technically you dont need one, because its a serial port, but technically once again you DO need one, because no USB device works without a driver. also technically the driver for the USB-Serial device IS the driver or interpreter, but apparently it still plays hell certain devices.
Old 03-30-2004, 09:36 AM
TGO Supporter

Update:

newer gateway (400VTX 2.2 celeron) with the following failed to work;

Ebay usb to serial adapter - no scan

PCMCIA to serial adapter - no scan

Radio shack usb to serial adapter - no scan

Trouble shooting: got friends old packard bell scans fine had to give back.

Toshiba Tecra 740CDT, win 98, with serial port - no scan

disabled IR port - no scan

sent to someone that had knowledge of how to fix toshiba and a car to try it on he "fixed" and returned it to me - no scan

then I bought the following and SCANS!!!

LAPTOP

BATTERIES

used my gateway power supply

Thanks to all that assisted me even though it didnt work out
Old 03-30-2004, 01:41 PM
TGO Supporter

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
this is a very lenghty post. not sure if this is relavent but my windows xp works with radio shach serial/usb adapter. 2004 laptop.
Old 03-30-2004, 01:42 PM
TGO Supporter

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
sorry using winaldl
Old 06-03-2004, 01:36 AM

Car: 95 Z28
Engine: LT1
Transmission: Built 4L60E with 3000 Stall
Axle/Gears: 3.23? I'm not sure
Im sort of in the same situation. i need to tune my car still, and i just made this awsome self-tuning program that will basically do all the tuning i need without me ever touching the laptop while i drive, but i still dont have a laptop that can run it with a serial port.

its driving me nuts too.
Does this mean that it can tune the car? like adjust air/fuel mixture? anything to help peformance at the click of a button? ive seen DSMs can do that
Old 06-03-2004, 02:52 PM

Car: 88 Camaro
Engine: 310 LG4
Transmission: 700R4 w/2200 stall
Axle/Gears: 3.42
Originally posted by jeepguy553
This new laptop I got is so old that it still has a PCMCIA CD-ROM player...running off of Win 3.1. I can't believe people still actually have Win 3.1 on any computer. I am about to load Win 95 on it to see if it will actually work with my ALDL connection. I sure hope so since it is the only laptop I have access to and if it doesn't work, I'll have to do the same thing a Kingtal0n with the desktop PC hooked up to the car in the carport.
I simply can't understand why the PC industry wouldn't have kept COM port compatibility between older computers and newer systems. I find it amazing that we have to use a 12 year old computer to do this when Win XP is probably one of the best OS's that Microsoft has ever put out.
It's the fact that the hardware bus and memory addressing has changed on the hardware.

You wont get a serial to usb adapter to work, no matter what, if you do, it wont be pretty. Windows XP makes it worse by the way they handle the hardware addresses and how they access the hardware, in NT versions of windows, they do not allow direct hardware accessing except at the kernel level, so good luck on windows 2000/XP unless the software was specifically built for 2k/xp.

THAT IS THE REASON WHY! NT versions of windows (windows NT4/2000/XP) do not allow direct hardware access except at the kernel level. This means only drivers can access the hardware directly like your software needs.

Good luck. Run windows 98 on an old POS system. It will work out better. Try not to use adapters, spliters or whatever, they will only add cost and wasted energy.
Old 06-03-2004, 02:57 PM

so even a Parrallel>Seriel wont work? Absolutely no way to get a new laptop to do it? im gettin a brand spankin new one for graduation, and i really wanna be able to do this
Old 06-03-2004, 03:49 PM
Supreme Member

Originally posted by 88_Import_Slaye
You wont get a serial to usb adapter to work, no matter what, if you do, it wont be pretty. Windows XP makes it worse by the way they handle the hardware addresses and how they access the hardware, in NT versions of windows, they do not allow direct hardware accessing except at the kernel level, so good luck on windows 2000/XP unless the software was specifically built for 2k/xp.

THAT IS THE REASON WHY! NT versions of windows (windows NT4/2000/XP) do not allow direct hardware access except at the kernel level. This means only drivers can access the hardware directly like your software needs.
The reason why is that it is considered a security and stability risk to allow software running under the OS to access the hardware directly and not through the OS’s handlers (one of the reasons why the NT based os’s are so much more stable then the 9x based code).

WRT to “you can’t” do it… well, yes and no. If you search around the net you’ll find various driver’s and DLL’s (directIO) that allow you to use software designed to access the hardware directly (the software for my prom burner uses one of those DLL’s, though I don’t remember which right now). A lot of older applications (I’ve had to deal with legacy accounting and asset tracking apps written to work under DOS) expect to have direct access to the hardware and quite often you can get around it by reassigning/redefining the ports through the command line.

Basically, it’s not impossible, but everything that you put in between the software and the hardware makes for one more thing that you have to work around.
Old 06-03-2004, 05:14 PM

Originally posted by 83 Crossfire TA

WRT to “you can’t” do it… well, yes and no. If you search around the net you’ll find various driver’s and DLL’s (directIO) that allow you to use software designed to access the hardware directly (the software for my prom burner uses one of those DLL’s, though I don’t remember which right now). A lot of older applications (I’ve had to deal with legacy accounting and asset tracking apps written to work under DOS) expect to have direct access to the hardware and quite often you can get around it by reassigning/redefining the ports through the command line.

Basically, it’s not impossible, but everything that you put in between the software and the hardware makes for one more thing that you have to work around.
I didnt mention the software that is out there because I've tried it and it's such a pain in the *** and not worth it at all. But you are correct, DirectIO is available if you REALLY have to use an NT based OS.

OR, if you know x86 assembly, you can get direct hardware access by coding a program in assembly (that sucks btw). I was able to get direct access to the bios using asm, so I know it can be done.
Old 06-03-2004, 05:55 PM

Car: 1982 CAMARO;
Engine: 1985 LB9;
Transmission: T-5/
ok I know that most of your already probally know this but for anyone who is reading this thread and have yet to start data logging or burning proms. If you haven't baught equipment yet and are using the Stock ECM go to Moates.net and get the AutoProm USB version, and avoid all this stuff. The AutoProm will do everything from ALDL Logging To burnning Proms. And also works with TunerPro RT.

Ok Flame me away
Old 06-03-2004, 05:59 PM

Originally posted by MTPFI-MAF
ok I know that most of your already probally know this but for anyone who is reading this thread and have yet to start data logging or burning proms. If you haven't baught equipment yet and are using the Stock ECM go to Moates.net and get the AutoProm USB version, and avoid all this stuff. The AutoProm will do everything from ALDL Logging To burnning Proms. And also works with TunerPro RT.

Ok Flame me away
Good tip. Working with the serial / parrallel ports is really a hassle, so USB is the best way to go.

Oh, anyone working with Serial or Parrallel, BESURE TO REBOOT THE COMPUTER AFTER YOU PLUG IN YOUR CABLE, it has to be plugged in at boot up. By plugged in, I mean attached to the ALDL and to the computer.

The reason why is most computers wont recognize the port after post if nothign was found and will not refresh until next post.
Old 06-03-2004, 07:33 PM
Supreme Member

Originally posted by 88_Import_Slaye
I didnt mention the software that is out there because I've tried it and it's such a pain in the *** and not worth it at all. But you are correct, DirectIO is available if you REALLY have to use an NT based OS.
I donno, in my mind there is enough of an advantage to running the NT based OS’s that I’ve bothered working it out every time I’ve run across it…

OR, if you know x86 assembly, you can get direct hardware access by coding a program in assembly (that sucks btw). I was able to get direct access to the bios using asm, so I know it can be done.
Really? Without any other code or any of the supplemental DLL’s installed? Huh, that’s pretty suprising. To be honest I haven’t played with any assembly since the mid/late 90’s when I started converting everything over to NT…
Old 06-03-2004, 07:35 PM

I agree, there is no reason to not run an NT based OS, I am an avid supporter of windows 2000. I hate XP with apassion though. But, for working with hardware related software, it's just easier to get a spare system or a spare hard drive and install win98.
Old 06-03-2004, 09:36 PM

Originally posted by MTPFI-MAF

Ok Flame me away
Link to said software? you gotta buy that cable or can you make it as well? or can it just enable you to use the USB adapter?