DIY PROM Do It Yourself PROM chip burning help. No PROM begging. No PROMs for sale. No commercial exchange. Not a referral service.

New cam/head combo, do i need a new chip?

Search this Thread

Old 02-05-2001, 10:43 PM
Supreme Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Car: 88 IROC-Z
Engine: L98
Transmission: TH350
Axle/Gears: 3.45
New cam/head combo, do i need a new chip?

I am currently running a Hypertech chip in my car. This summer i will be going to a new top end setup. The bottom end will be stock still.
heres the new crap:
Dart Iron Eagle Heads, 180cc intake runners, 64cc combustion chambers
New cam: 278intake 286exhaust .450intake .420exhaust 108degrees of lobe seperation. 104degree intake centerline Gross Duration 312 Gross Exhaust 323

Harland Sharp 1.5:1 roller rocker arms
Manton Push Rods, stock length?

So the question is should i get a new ccustom chip burnt or is the hypertech i got good enough for now? Can the engine live with it and perform decently or will it run really bad? Need any more info? my buddy came up with that cam profile, hes used to dealing with higher HP crap but he tried a few different profiles. we got 375hp and 413ft/lbs. or torque on the desk top dyno. Thats about what im looking for seeing i still have a stock rear end and driveshaft. Thanks.

Kyle

------------------
1988 IROC-Z 350 TPI
(its an original 350 car)
License Plate: STG KLR 1
Engine Mods:
Edlebrock TES Headers, Hypertech Chip, Flowmaster Muffler, Intake Airfoil, Removed MAF Screens, bored .030 over, Other minor mods
Trans Mods:
2,500 stall converter, Redline clutches,Heavy Duty Steels, Trans-Go reprograming kit , Heavy Duty 2-4 band, Corvette Servo, B&M Mega Shifter w/ Carbon Fiber Handle (looks sweet in a black car!)
14.104@99.66

"If you can put it on your car, its fair" Quote By Guido
Foundering Member of the Illinois Overkill Crew (IOC)
www.mfba.org
Old 02-06-2001, 07:00 AM
Supreme Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Car: An Ol Buick
Engine: Vsick
Transmission: Janis Tranny Yank Converter
Originally posted by 88blkiroc:
I am currently running a Hypertech chip in my car. This summer i will be going to a new top end setup. The bottom end will be stock still.
heres the new crap:
Dart Iron Eagle Heads, 180cc intake runners, 64cc combustion chambers
New cam: 278intake 286exhaust .450intake .420exhaust 108degrees of lobe seperation. 104degree intake centerline Gross Duration 312 Gross Exhaust 323
Harland Sharp 1.5:1 roller rocker arms
Manton Push Rods, stock length?
So the question is should i get a new ccustom chip burnt or is the hypertech i got good enough for now? Can the engine live with it and perform decently or will it run really bad? Need any more info? my buddy came up with that cam profile, hes used to dealing with higher HP crap but he tried a few different profiles. we got 375hp and 413ft/lbs. or torque on the desk top dyno. Thats about what im looking for seeing i still have a stock rear end and driveshaft. Thanks.
Kyle
To get that engine right, you'll have to learn to do you own chips, and that's easy. Take a lil while to figure it out but is a heck of alot easier then changing jets.

I'd be considering the 54-56 sized chambers unless you running race gas all the time. Yes, there is a lot less detonation problems with the smaller chambered heads.
What ever you use, be sure to smooth out the chambers, at least knock the corseness down of the sand apprearance. On an AL head once I get done with the cutter takes about 20 mins with the flannel tip and polish to finish, you don't have to look for mirror finishes.