DIY PROM Do It Yourself PROM chip burning help. No PROM begging. No PROMs for sale. No commercial exchange. Not a referral service.

Starting point for SD 350 w/ hot cam

Search this Thread

Old 07-07-2001, 09:47 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Starting point for SD 350 w/ hot cam

Where can I find a starting point for my prom? I have a 91 aluminum heads,big tube runners, HOT cam kitn no VATS, no emmissions.

I really need help getting this car running!
Old 07-07-2001, 11:10 AM

Car: 1989 IROC-Z
Engine: 383
Transmission: Pro-Built 700R4 2400 ACT Stall
Axle/Gears: 2.77 Borg Warner 9-Bolt
I'm not grumpy or glenn so i don't know my SD ECM tables very well. But...i think i would start at the VE tables then move to the Spark Table. Read traxion's P730 series of write ups (via search function) for a little more help. He even speaks of the HOT Cam.

------------------
89 IROC-Z 350 TPI

-Flowmaster Catback
-Performance Resource Chip
-700R4 (Rebuilt) Too much done to actually list
-K&N Airfilters
-Ported Plenum
-2.77 Gears (not much to brag about but eh, its there)
-MSD 8.5 mm plug wires
-Gutted cat
-!AIR
-Gutted Air Boxes
Old 07-07-2001, 11:11 AM
TGO Supporter

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Car: Death Mobile
Engine: 666 c.i.
Do you have a scan tool? That is one of the first things you will need to monitor your engine to determine who well it is tuned for the VE tables.

I personally use Diacom but there are others like Ease or Craig Moate's Software (which is free). All you need is to get a cable made for the software (there is a link to a place that will make one fairly cheap, or you can build it yourself).

I thnk Craig is looking for someone with an SD setup to test his software as even though it will work with SD, no one with an SD setup has tested it....maybe this has changed now.

If I didn't have Diacom, I would definitely use Craig's software. For only the cost of building the cable, it is definiely a "cheap" alternative. I may STILL try using Craig's software as he has the source code available, allowing people to make changes if they wish. I have some unique requirements and I may use it, just because I may be able to make Craig's software to work in conjunction on "tracing" certain variables used with the ECM to see what happens when certain routines within the eprom is executed.

Do you currently have an SD Memcal and if so, what is it?
Old 07-07-2001, 11:56 AM

I have a SD memcal that has been reprogrammed twice. I think it may be screwed up. I would love to test Craig's software. Where is he located?

Old 07-07-2001, 12:07 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Let me caution you if you have removed your EGR system(you said no emissions). You will need to remove significant amounts of timing in the 40kPA to 80 kPa region or you will get lots of part throttle pinging. I just finished my spark table on my alum head 383 with no EGR. In some areas I removed up to 15 degrees from a std alum head corvette program. For your VE table I would start with a stock VE shape and reduce the values below 3000 rpm where your cam reduces cylinder filing due to late intake valve closing point, and increase the values where your new cam generates peak torque. You will need to get your injector constants correct for your displacement and injector size. A scan tool is the best way for that.
Old 07-07-2001, 01:10 PM
Supreme Member

Car: An Ol Buick
Engine: Vsick
Transmission: Janis Tranny Yank Converter
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Yelofvr:
Let me caution you if you have removed your EGR system(you said no emissions). You will need to remove significant amounts of timing in the 40kPA to 80 kPa region or you will get lots of part throttle pinging. I just finished my spark table on my alum head 383 with no EGR. In some areas I removed up to 15 degrees from a std alum head corvette program. For your VE table I would start with a stock VE shape and reduce the values below 3000 rpm where your cam reduces cylinder filing due to late intake valve closing point, and increase the values where your new cam generates peak torque. You will need to get your injector constants correct for your displacement and injector size. A scan tool is the best way for that.</font>
Just curious, did you reset the enable temps for the EGR to some unreal number, or just let it still apply, and took timing out?.

Old 07-08-2001, 12:03 AM
TGO Supporter

Grumpy is correct. Just setting the %TPS or disabling the Diagnostic for the EGR does not disable the code for operating the EGR, just suppresses the SES.

Just as Grumpy recommends, set the Minimum Temp EGR Enable counts to 254 so it can never get enable. It makes it easier to tune if you no EGR.
Old 07-08-2001, 07:19 AM

Are you saying that I should reinstall the egr in order to make tuning easier?

Can we achieve the desired tuning w/o egr?
Old 07-08-2001, 08:43 AM
Supreme Member

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by TPIJag:
Are you saying that I should reinstall the egr in order to make tuning easier?

Can we achieve the desired tuning w/o egr?
</font>
NO.
There are several elements to the EGR.
If you've removed the hardware on the engine, then you should disable the software in the ecm, so it does not report a problem, or try to use the hardware that is missing. The ECM makes timing and fuel changes when it applies the EGR. So you need to disable the applying of EGR.

Old 07-08-2001, 09:05 AM

After looking through a few posts, I thought that maybe the egr helped with highway driving and gas mileage. Since it is already off, I would rather keep it that way!
Old 07-09-2001, 09:00 AM

Grumpy: I did not modify the enable temps or the percent TPS for enable and disable. I simply deselected the EGR diagnostic so I get no error codes. When I review my Diacom data, the EGR is still being cycled on and off. Is this not the proper way to do this? I could not find a "enable temps" in my TunerCat software. I have heard others say they disable the EGR by setting the %TPS to 100% but that doesnt seem right to me????

------------------
Dave Zelinka
Old 07-09-2001, 11:43 AM
Supreme Member

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Car: 2005 Subaru STI
Engine: 153ci of Turbo Power!
Transmission: 6-Speed
The flag (check box) in TunerCat for the EGR Diagnostic is just that ... its an enable/disable for the EGR **Diagnostic**. This just means that you can disable the diagnostic and not get a check engine light if the EGR is not functioning. However, rest assured that the ECM is still attempting to control the EGR and use it. In order to disable the EGR in TunerCat you must change "Minimum MAT for EGR enable" to 255 counts.

Tim

------------------
TRAXION's 1990 IROC-Z
Best Time = 12.244 @ 112.51mph (1.778 60' / 7.819@88.32mph in the 1/8)
All Natural. No Force. No Drugs. Stock Bottom End. Stock Body Panels.
Gunning for NA 11's with bigger cam, bigger stall, and bigger exhaust.
-=ICON Motorsports=-
Moderator: PROM board at thirdgen.org
Old 07-09-2001, 05:13 PM
Supreme Member

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Yelofvr:
Grumpy: I did not modify the enable temps or the percent TPS for enable and disable. I simply deselected the EGR diagnostic so I get no error codes. When I review my Diacom data, the EGR is still being cycled on and off. Is this not the proper way to do this? I could not find a "enable temps" in my TunerCat software. I have heard others say they disable the EGR by setting the %TPS to 100% but that doesnt seem right to me????
</font>
02B0 should be the min enable temp on the 8D for EGR enable, so set it to like FD.

Old 07-11-2001, 12:41 AM

Okay, I understand what you are saying about the "Minimum MAT for enable".....Now, where should those of us without EGR set the "EGR On,(TPS)" and the "EGR Off,(TPS)" percents at? Does it really matter since we now have the MAT counts pegged at 255, or is there a correct setting just to be sure nothing is initiated with a now absent EGR system?...This is in Tunercat by the way.

------------------
86 Trans Am WS6 Black with tinted windows, ZZ4, Mini-ram, true duals, LT4 HotCam, AFR 195 heads.
***Too many other mods to mention***

"In the future, cities will become deserts,
roads will become battlefields, and the hope of mankind
will appear as a stranger"
The Road Warrior
Old 07-11-2001, 09:32 AM
TGO Supporter

Setting the EGR %TPS does not matter if you set the "enable MAT Temp Count" to a very high number. In fact, you don't even want to be in the code where it checks the %TPS...the "enable EGR Minimum MAT counts" is the one that does the trick.