DIY PROM Do It Yourself PROM chip burning help. No PROM begging. No PROMs for sale. No commercial exchange. Not a referral service.

Tuner Pro How To??

Search this Thread

Old 03-25-2007, 08:27 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Tuner Pro How To??

I am very new to programming. I have all the necessary software and hardware, now all I need is the how to. I am curious if there is a guide to using tuner pro. I am not begging here but somewhere has to exist some kind of literature that says what is what.

First off I am trying to read an existing Bin in an EEPROM I have. I believe I have read that successfully, however I dont know for sure. When I want to read the bin, turner pro makes me select an XDF file, which I am not sure whats right.

So are there any books that can help?

Last edited by vetteboy86; 03-25-2007 at 08:33 PM.
Old 03-25-2007, 08:57 PM

Car: '90 C1500
Engine: SBC MPFI
Transmission: 4L80e
Axle/Gears: 4.30
Re: Tuner Pro How To??

Moates.net has a list of XDF files to choose from for you application...for speed density use 8D. Also, if you look in the tuner's guide up at the top, there is something that says TunerPro How to or something like that.
Old 03-26-2007, 10:29 AM
TGO Supporter

Car: '89 Trans Am WS6
Engine: 350 TPI
Transmission: T5WC
Axle/Gears: 3.08 posi

Originally Posted by vetteboy86
I am very new to programming. I have all the necessary software and hardware, now all I need is the how to. I am curious if there is a guide to using tuner pro. I am not begging here but somewhere has to exist some kind of literature that says what is what.

First off I am trying to read an existing Bin in an EEPROM I have. I believe I have read that successfully, however I dont know for sure. When I want to read the bin, turner pro makes me select an XDF file, which I am not sure whats right.

So are there any books that can help?
Have you taken a look at the help file within TunerPro (Help menu)? How 'bout this:
http://www.moates.net/documentation.php

Or, specifically, these:
http://www.moates.net/documentation....entation_id=20
http://www.moates.net/documentation....entation_id=13
Old 03-27-2007, 08:02 AM

More importantly I am trying to understand what exactly this xdf file is. From what I have read I am thinking it is a template that provides vital data to interpret the bin. Am I way off base here?
Old 03-27-2007, 05:33 PM

Car: 1969 Z28
Engine: 406 TPI
Transmission: Tremec TKO 600
Axle/Gears: 3.31

I was in the same boat for quite a while with the “.bin” and “.xdf” files. If you are using the 1227730 ecm and speed density (no MAF sensor), then go to the Moates site under Stock Binaries folder and download the 8D “.bin” file. Back up and go to the Binary Editor Definitions folder and download the “8D.xdf” file.

Put those files on your hardrive in a folder that TunerPro RT uses. When you bring up TunerPro, select to load a definition file and select the “8D.xdf” file. Then select to open a binary and select the “8D.bin” file.

So your “.xdf” file acts like the translator that allows you to see and modify the particular “.bin” file that controls your ECU.

Sometimes “.bins” are referred to by the four letters on the stock memcal. The AUJP memcal was popular for f-body speed density systems.

In my case, I used an AUJP bin that was heavily modified by the forum members called Super AUJP version 3. You may see it listed as S_AUJP_v3 (I’m anxiously awaiting version 4). This bin has several mods, but I needed the injector pulse width and upper fuel table mods for my 406 displacement. With this bin I also downloaded the “1227730_8D.ads” file from the TunerPro site. This file is like the “.xdf” file, but you have to have the TunerPro program convert it into an “.xdf” file for you.

Once you get the “.bin “ and “.xdf” file you need loaded into TunerPro, open a couple of the parameters and check to see they make sense – like the number of cylinders (don’t put the numeral 8 in there!), the volume of one cylinder in cubic centimeters, on and off fan temperatures and such. If some of these parameters are way off, you might have a miss-match between your “.bin” and “.xdf” files.
Old 03-28-2007, 06:48 AM

This is making a little more sense. I have an 86 MAF system so I believe that I need the 6D or 6E bin. This is for the 89 MAF system. I read somewhere that I should use the newest release. Is this correct?

Thanks