DIY PROM Do It Yourself PROM chip burning help. No PROM begging. No PROMs for sale. No commercial exchange. Not a referral service.

NEED A LITTLE HELP. ECM MASKS, FILES, HACKING 6.5 DIESEL AND $0D

Search this Thread

Old 08-14-2009, 10:52 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
NEED A LITTLE HELP. ECM MASKS, FILES, HACKING 6.5 DIESEL AND $0D

OK, I am a newbie here but notice some familiar users in my searches so here I am.... CNC mfg engineering, off-road engine builder, looking to tune in what I need with ECMs.

So I am getting up to speed here and gaining by the minute. I have two trucks that are here and will be donors for my testing. Both need my help and I know what they need but getting it into the PCBs is another story. I am using Tunerpro and truck are 95/5.7L/4L60E and 94/6.5L turbo diesel/4L80E

Per my understanding and confirmation, the 5.7 truck uses a 16197427 ECM with 27C512 EPROM. I plan to use the 27SF512 in it.

The diesel is an unknown because they only did the OBDI and EFI for 2 years on it. People are being a real pain on that truck so some data is hard to find.

Questions:::

1. I am still unclear as to what the "mask" is and how it relates... It is my understanding that it is basically the "key" or in our CNC world, the post processor of the raw data. This is what decodes the bin file into dumb *** terms so I can change it???

2. If I understand the masks, can one extract it from the ECM? I have a tech article that goes into depth on pulling the "mask" from the ECM but my ECMs are not listed. It is a "process" to say the least but willing if that is what it takes. Just not sure if this is more a standard process for all or if each ECM requires a different procedure.

3. Any info on the 6.5 would be super!! Seems all the guys that have done the time are charging nicely for the info. I am not looking to make a buck on this intel, just better my knowledge for other stuff. I have ALDL data stream files for the truck but not sure if that IS the mask with some mods or what.

4. Since we will likely be using the 27SF512 chip, we are looking for burning/reading software and hardware. Might have what we need already but not sure yet. Already been to Moates but not sure if there are other systems that are more universal thus good for other stuff.

IN all, my biggest issue is understanding this mask thing. We have XDF files for tunerpro and other .DS files and such but not sure how to approach the tuning. My goal was to hook up and try to download the BIN file from the ECM via ALDL connector and see how things go. I really need to go onlline with the vehicle as well and real time scan the vehicles. I assume we need a "mask" for this?
Old 08-15-2009, 12:58 AM

Re: NEED A LITTLE HELP. ECM MASKS, FILES, HACKING 6.5 DIESEL AND $0D

with a little research, I am coming up with an ECM number of 16212488 with either $EC, $ECA, or $ECB mask ID. this is a 6.5, S vin, turbo, auto. Not sure if that will help on the diesel.
Old 08-15-2009, 08:10 AM

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts
Car: 1973 Datsun 240Z/ 1985 S-15 Jimmy
Engine: Turbo LX9/To be decided
Transmission: 5-speed/T-5
Axle/Gears: R200 3.90/7.5" 3.73

1. You have the jist of what is going on. A "mask" is used to know where things are found in a bin file. An .XDF is unique to Tuner Pro and is used in much the same way, to display what is in the bin file, and allow adjustments in easy to understand language and numbers.

2. A mask is not contained within the ECM. It is someting created by "dissasembling" the bin file from the instruction sets contained within the bin. The good news is that there are a lot of disassemblies around, many found in the fileman at moates.net. It is these "disassemblies" that are used to create .XDF files.

3. I don't know any specifics on 6.5 stuff, but the ALDL datastream files will not help in modifying the bin any. These files are used to decipher what is being transmitted on the serial connection of the ALDL connector.

4. Moates makes some good product targetted to the automotive tuner, to keep the software and hardware simple. The Burn2 can be used with either the Flash & Burn software or Tuner Pro directly.
I use a Willems GQ-3X programmer myself, since I can program other chips that I may need to in the future. I am looking at picking up a Burn2, because it smaller than the Willems and has an enclosure.

.DS files are "datastream" files that are used to create .ADS and/or .ADX files for connecting to the ALDL datastream.
Old 08-15-2009, 11:54 AM

Could we go over the ALDL files and such one more time??

I still do not quite understand how the ALDL file would be useful other than simply looking at it as a print off and comparing it to data being sent from the diag port. I do need to real time scan and log as well so possibly this can help??

Also, as I understand it, a mask file is actually hand created by studying to language of the bin? Are the special characters used to ID the masks just that? ie, $0D, $ECA, etc??

HOw does one ultimately end up with an XDF file? is this similar to the mask file or .ADS file?

Still kind of unclear in these areas.
Old 08-15-2009, 12:45 PM

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts
Car: 1973 Datsun 240Z/ 1985 S-15 Jimmy
Engine: Turbo LX9/To be decided
Transmission: 5-speed/T-5
Axle/Gears: R200 3.90/7.5" 3.73

A .DS file is basically just a list of what order items are spit out of the ALDL port

The .DS files are used to create other files, such as .ADS or .ADX files that are used by programs like Tuner Pro RT and Scanner Pro, to read the information in real time, then translate it to be displayed on a "dash", in an "item list", or in a "monitor". Without an .ADS or .ADX file you would not be able to datalog using thier respective programs, because you would not be able to send or recive the proper instructions to and from the ECM. Think of them much like scanner tool cartriges, where each set of vehciles used to use a different cartridge inserted into the scanner tool, to interpret the serial information and then display it on that little 4 line dot matrix screen. We just have much larger screens now with much more computing power, in our laptops.

Yes, the masks will be identified in hex, which is what the "$" signifies when used in such context. $OD, $8D, $8F, $59, $A1, $42 etc, are all hex characters that signify the mask. In most later OBD1 GM ECMS you will find this character at byte number 08 ( 0x08 ), in some earlier OBD1 GM ECMs you will find it at byte 04 ( 0x04 ).