DIY PROM Do It Yourself PROM chip burning help. No PROM begging. No PROMs for sale. No commercial exchange. Not a referral service.

VE v Baro mult question

Search this Thread

Old 04-09-2012, 09:29 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Car: '86 Grand National
Engine: LZ9????
Transmission: 2004R
Axle/Gears: 3.42
VE v Baro mult question

still trying to get this stalling issue back in line. i live in sin city now and my travel to work takes me up 1200ft and back down. this morning the car didnt stall once, ran great. i noticed that my idle was in the 15.xx range when at the beginning of the trip. when i get to work its in the 13-14.xx range, open loop idle. blms this morning where in the 118 range. re-adjusted the tables, reducing in cells with the low blms. so leaving work, 1200ft higher, it stalled after a short trip to the gas station. kept stalling, wouldnt start without some pedal, afrs in the 12.xx range when i could get it to idle. unplugged the battery so the ecm could reset, drove it a 1/4 mile and back to stalling. messed with the MAT counts v MAT since it was 30* warmer this afternoon, no noteable change, returned it to stock. managed to get on the highway, blms now in the 112 range, WTF. i reduced the VE tables alot and it and still low blms. now after the trip back into the valley, get off the highway and it stalled again. turned the key off while at the traffic light, let it reset, started it up and it was idling normally. now the idle was really lean, still idled great, blms in the 130's, WTF again. thought about it and the VE vs Baro mult table came to mind. so, a few questions...

does the table affect fuel only, or IAC, spark, IAT, etc too?

im going to assume that the baro only updates upon startup? unless theres a dedicated baro sensor found under the dash, then it updates every so often? i dont have one, but i could install one since im changing altitudes often. opinions?

tomorrow im going to note the baro reading, KOEO(key on engine off), in the morning and again once i get to work. once i figure out what the baro is at the higher altitude, which direction do i need to adjust the values in the table to lean it out a bit, up or down?

also looked at the table conversion and theres only X. does that seem right?

thanks fellas!
Old 04-09-2012, 11:01 PM

Re: VE v Baro mult question

a pretty good read if anyone is interested.....

*edit* also answered most of my questions above

https://www.thirdgen.org/forums/diy-...ons-730-a.html

RBob, you think i should disable the pseudo baro check for now? engine mods in my sig....

Last edited by 34blazer; 04-09-2012 at 11:04 PM.
Old 04-10-2012, 11:41 AM

Received 215 Likes on 201 Posts
Car: check
Engine: check
Transmission: check

Originally Posted by 34blazer
RBob, you think i should disable the pseudo baro check for now? engine mods in my sig....
Yes & no, if you are changing elevation then it should be retained. Just tweak the pseudo baro read in better.

RBob.
Old 04-10-2012, 12:29 PM

Originally Posted by RBob
Yes & no, if you are changing elevation then it should be retained. Just tweak the pseudo baro read in better.

RBob.
can you suggest how to use my datalog to adjust those tables?
Old 04-10-2012, 01:11 PM

can you suggest how to use my datalog to adjust those tables?
Need to place the barometric reading into the data stream. Then go out and drive around at various RPM & throttle settings. Stay at the same elevation as this is done to make it easier.

The key-on, engine-off barometric reading is the base line. If the baro changes from one record to the next (in data log), you know a baro read was done, and that it is off. Change the Baro adjust vs RPM & TPS table at the proper location to correct it.

I would work in ADC values as that is what the table is. Can use the converted to KPa value, but that requires math.

RBob.
Old 04-10-2012, 02:00 PM

Need to place the barometric reading into the data stream. Then go out and drive around at various RPM & throttle settings. Stay at the same elevation as this is done to make it easier.

The key-on, engine-off barometric reading is the base line. If the baro changes from one record to the next (in data log), you know a baro read was done, and that it is off. Change the Baro adjust vs RPM & TPS table at the proper location to correct it.

I would work in ADC values as that is what the table is. Can use the converted to KPa value, but that requires math.

RBob.
ADC?

and where do i need to look for locating baro reading? unless you mean the map value?

thank you!
Old 04-10-2012, 03:40 PM

ADC?

and where do i need to look for locating baro reading? unless you mean the map value?

thank you!
ADC: Analog to Digital Converter. The ECM stores the raw ADC counts for most sensor inputs. Then converts them to a value that is expressed in actual units, such as KPa or TPS Percent.

The ADC baro value is stored in: L002E

The KPa baro reading is stored in: L007B

RBob.
Old 04-10-2012, 03:53 PM

ADC: Analog to Digital Converter. The ECM stores the raw ADC counts for most sensor inputs. Then converts them to a value that is expressed in actual units, such as KPa or TPS Percent.

The ADC baro value is stored in: L002E

The KPa baro reading is stored in: L007B

RBob.

ok i think i got it, ADC counts= 0-255?

ill add those to the datastream, thank you sir

*edit!* no more stalling! since i disabled the baro update(while running) i have no more problems. so i will start working on the baro update v rpm table.

also, is there a way that i can add something to the datastream showing the baro update is active? thank you thank you thank you!!!

Last edited by 34blazer; 04-10-2012 at 07:00 PM.
Old 04-11-2012, 07:30 AM

ok i think i got it, ADC counts= 0-255?

ill add those to the datastream, thank you sir

*edit!* no more stalling! since i disabled the baro update(while running) i have no more problems. so i will start working on the baro update v rpm table.

also, is there a way that i can add something to the datastream showing the baro update is active? thank you thank you thank you!!!
ADC counts = 0 - 255, yes.

Would need to add a status flag/bit to a mode word (change the code). As there isn't a flag showing that a baro read has/is being done.

RBob.