DIY PROM Do It Yourself PROM chip burning help. No PROM begging. No PROMs for sale. No commercial exchange. Not a referral service.

EBL P4 HELP....PLEASE

Search this Thread

Old 07-04-2019, 06:57 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Car: 1991 Z28
Engine: 350
Transmission: 700r4
Axle/Gears: 3.73
EBL P4 HELP....PLEASE

Good Morning and Happy 4th to TEAM THIRD GEN!
I am a new member that really needs help. I know my questions might seem elementary, but i don't know what I'm doing.

I have a 91Z28. 350 TPI with 202 aluminum head, no EGR, 2 bar map, 700r4. The car also has a Procharger, Holley Adjustable FPR. I recently installed 36pound injectors.

The ecu in the car when i got it was chipped to 30pound injectors. I bought an EBL P4 and need to know where to get started. Bob has been great, but i am embarrassed to say that i am still lost.

I have downloaded tunerpro rt and I have read through Dynamics instructions.

What I need help with is...... EVERYTHING...

I don't know how to identify which bin I need. or how to load it in.

Also... I would like to know how to change and save parameters for no egr, and 36 pound injectors. I would like to baseline the tune and get the engine running.

I am sure i will have more questions, but want to thank everyone in advance for being a pain in the butt...

PLEASE feel free to treat me like a two year old and walk me through. I appreciate the help.
Old 07-04-2019, 08:24 PM
COTM Editor

Received 183 Likes on 123 Posts
Car: 91/89/85/82 Z28s, 88 TA, 88/88 SC
Engine: SBC and LS variations
Re: EBL P4 HELP....PLEASE

There is an entire thread devoted to tuning with the EBL as well as a lot of instructions that come with it. Part of it, especially if you haven't tuned anything before, is that there is going to be a learning curve no matter what. So reading the EBL thread and also the instructions that came with your EBL will help you out immensely, such as how to use the included tool to calculate your injector parameters, etc.

https://www.thirdgen.org/forums/diy-...uning-ebl.html

RBob is a terrific resource and is a great help if you also put in the time. I don't think he does individual tunes though as a business, so one thing you may want to consider is asking if Tuned Performance (do a search he is a member here) can provide you a starter bin for a reasonable cost. I know he does the typical GM 165, etc ECMs but he might also do EBLs as well. While i haven't used him personally, he has a great reputation and posts a lot of great facts to help people out

Also you should think about investing in a wideband if you haven't done so already. it will help immensely in getting your car dialed in quickly by having its output directly as an input to your EBL
Old 07-06-2019, 10:11 AM

Thank you for the info on the link.

I have read through quite a bit and think I'm ready to get started. I installed the P4 ECM I had Dynamic do the install. I installed the connector as directed. I also went in and followed directions to set up EBL COM port. Mine is set to 4 with the cable. BUT.... I cant get the WUD to do anything. No spinning in right hand corner.

I already loaded my XDF and BIN in tuner pro. Not sure how the two integrate just yet......

BUT... cant go further being that appears WUD is not communicating.

Any thoughts?
Old 07-06-2019, 11:22 AM

Received 215 Likes on 201 Posts
Car: check
Engine: check
Transmission: check

Be sure to select COM 4 in the WUD (File->CommPort...)

Then do a key-on, engine off for testing.

RBob.
Old 07-06-2019, 02:11 PM

Team Third Gen,

I wanted to publicly THANK BOB for his help earlier today. He was able to walk me through finding the reason why my WUD would not work. He is AWESOME!

Thank you Bob!

I was able to get the car running although..... PIG RICH...

I plugged the old ecu in and it ran much better. It has a custom burned chip that was set to the 30 pound injectors. I currently have 36 pound injectors in the car. Weird... Is there a way for EBL to pull the settings in the current chip for use in creating a new file for EBL? I would start with just changing the injectors to 36 pound and mimic what is already there. Then obviously tune from there.
Old 07-07-2019, 08:39 AM

Is the 2-bar MAP sensor installed? Sounds like the stock 1-bar is in place.

RBob.
Old 07-07-2019, 05:03 PM

I am going to replace the map again just to make sure..... 2 bar with connector replacement will be the path.

I am reviewing the instructions on page 2. I have decided to creat a completely new xdf and bin. My starting bin is 3005, I have made the change for 36 pound injectors at the injector flow rate scalar and the WUD injector flow rate scalar. Is that the only places they need to be changed?
I have gone down to the Option word 2 bit 3 and changed it to on.
I am not able to find the this from page 2: The EBL_Utility.....

I assume i need to make these changes. My car is running VERY RICH. Fuel pressure is set to 42 psi idle with line disconnected.

I ended my day putting in new plugs and stopped.....

The EBL Flash uses a value called the Base Pulse Constant (BPC) to define the injector flow rate and engine displacement. It is the two of them rolled together into a single value. There are two tables that need to be filled in with the BPC value(s):
  • "BPC - BPC vs VAC"
  • "BST - BPC vs Boost"
To calculate the BPC value(s) there is the EBL_Utility Windows program. Earlier releases of the EBL were supplied with spread sheets for the same purpose. In the EBL_Utility or spread sheet fill in the values for engine displacement, number of cylinders, fuel pressure and so on. The BPC tables values are shown on the screen.

The BPC values, which are shown in red, can then be copy & pasted directly into the calibration editor.

Please let me know what else I should be considering to get the car running (NOT SO RICH).... It literally pukes black smoke to the point of ridiculous...

Thank you to all that have knowledge to share.
Old 07-07-2019, 06:02 PM

Originally Posted by Suprared89
I am going to replace the map again just to make sure..... 2 bar with connector replacement will be the path.

I am reviewing the instructions on page 2. I have decided to creat a completely new xdf and bin. My starting bin is 3005, I have made the change for 36 pound injectors at the injector flow rate scalar and the WUD injector flow rate scalar. Is that the only places they need to be changed?
Starting with 3005 is OK, it is a 5.7l f-body BIN with the 700R4.(EBL_P4_3005.BIN: 5.7l TPI, auto). Just need to change the injector flow rate scalar.

Don't change the XDF, you have to use the one supplied with the EBL P4 system.

I have gone down to the Option word 2 bit 3 and changed it to on.
Do this: connect the laptop and fire up the WUD. Key-on engine off. Check two things on the WUD, whether it shows a 2-bar MAP option? And what is the boost gauge reading?

I am not able to find the this from page 2: The EBL_Utility.....
Ignore all of that, it is for the EBL Flash system, not the EBL P4.

RBob.
Old 07-07-2019, 07:28 PM

Thank you again Bob!

I meant change the BIN. The Xdf as seen in the tuner pro heading is EBL_P4_V12a.XDF. Is that correct?

The WUD Trip display injector flow rate shows 22 lb per hour. I changed the injector flow rate to 36. Should the one in red stay at 22 or change to 36 also?

I am creating a new corrected bin and will try flashing again tomorrow. I will verify 2 bar map. What should the boost gauge show in WUD?
Old 07-08-2019, 09:15 AM

Originally Posted by Suprared89
I meant change the BIN. The Xdf as seen in the tuner pro heading is EBL_P4_V12a.XDF. Is that correct?
Yes.

The WUD Trip display injector flow rate shows 22 lb per hour. I changed the injector flow rate to 36. Should the one in red stay at 22 or change to 36 also?
Not sure about being in red. The WUD trip display #/hr value is only used by the WUD. Doesn't affect the engine fueling. It was done this way so it can be tweaked for accuracy without the need to re-tune.

This is the one to set for the injector fuel calculations:

INJ - Injector Flow Rate**

I am creating a new corrected bin and will try flashing again tomorrow. I will verify 2 bar map. What should the boost gauge show in WUD?
The WUD should show that there is a 2-bar MAP selected. This will verify that the correct BIN was flashed in.

The boost gauge should show 0 boost. If there is a 1-bar MAP (stock one) installed it will show 15 psi. Which will cause the engine to run very rich.

Also, since the engine runs OK with the chipped ECM, I'm inclined to think that there isn't a 2-bar MAP installed.

RBob.