Electronics Need help wiring something up? Thinking of adding an electrical component to your car? Need help troubleshooting that wiring glitch?

How hard is it to bypass the ignition?

Search this Thread

Old 03-22-2001, 12:14 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
How hard is it to bypass the ignition?

Last month my ignition froze on me, i.e. the key will turn to ACC but wont go past its orignal starting point. I cant start my car and if I could I might not be able to shut it off with the key.

This happened leaving a store. The key was very hard to turn and harder to turn back. When I got home and carefully turned the ignition off I found it wont turn forward, period. Even snapped off the outside ring with the 2 wings trying to turn it forward without snapping the key.

My question is can I temp bypass the whole coloum and maybe install a switch,(to turn the power on) and pushbutton(to start the car) combo just so I can start my car? I would locate them out of sight under the dash. Money is a huge problem so thats why its not going into the shop. That and know how is also why Im not going to try and change it myself just yet.

I know its drastic and risky but Im running out of options here. Im an Electrcian so in my mind its at least possible.
Any opions?
Thanks,

------------------
Rob
(God I love this car!)
'86 Trans Am, 305 stock(?)
Old 03-22-2001, 01:55 PM
Supreme Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Car: '92 Z28; Dk Teal; Her Pkg
Engine: 305
Transmission: Richmond 6 Spd
Axle/Gears: Moser 9", Detroit Locker, 3.70
I'd pull the steering wheel & inspect the tumbler mechanism - it's easy & inexpensive to replace & you can verify that the rigid wire that actuates the ignition switch on the top of the column is able to move the ignition switch freely & is not binding with anything.

Tim
Old 04-15-2001, 01:03 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Same thing just happend to my '93 Astro. Key was stuck, would not turn at all. I pulled it out of the column, sure enough, the cylinder was toast, could not even get the key out. Bought another and replaced it. The Astro doesn't have the resistor keys, the whole thing, cylinder and new keys, cost about $20. Replacing that was easier than trying to rig up anything.