Electronics Need help wiring something up? Thinking of adding an electrical component to your car? Need help troubleshooting that wiring glitch?

got spark, but no start! (key wont turn starter over)

Search this Thread

Old 05-14-2001, 11:46 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Car: 90 Camaro RS
Engine: 305 TBI
Transmission: T56
got spark, but no start! (key wont turn starter over)

this past week ive been installing hooker LTs, with no experience. it was tough. anyways i got em in, hooked up the starter and all, and go to start it and no luck. so i get some starting fluid and i jump teh solenoid with a spark plug and boom, it starts up for half a second, and shuts off, key was in on position.
so i know i have spark,
so...here are the symptoms, car doesnt crank with key, injectors dont fire, fuel pump doesnt prime (not vats, its bypassed, and vats will let the pump prime)
also..i checked all teh fuses under dash, is there a fuel pump fuse somewhere? also, ignition switch is fine cuz all the accessories work in ON position.
what u guys think?
also...i had removed MC and booster, so i was under the dash messin around movin wires n stuff, i also have an alarm that seems to be workin fine.

pleeeeeez help....thanks Rick
305tbi

Old 05-15-2001, 07:54 AM

new fuel pump maybe?
Old 05-15-2001, 10:22 PM

I had the same problem, turning the key, but nothing happened. Starter was getting power, bypass the key code thingy and it wouls start for a second then cut off. Yep it sounds like its your "pass key module" its located on the passenger side dash on the inside bassically behind the glove box looking thing. Its a pretty pricy item, labor is a good Hour or hour and half, I got a shop to do it for me and it was about 300 dollars part and installation, I could have done it myself but I didnt know what it was at the time. I hope this may have helped you some.

------------------
350 TPI
300 HP
Flowmaster Exhuast
Hood etc.. coming soon
Old 05-15-2001, 11:53 PM

I'm not sure on what your problem is, but I believe the fuel pump fuse is the one on the fenderwall next to the battery.

I had a similar problem a couple weeks ago, and bypassing the VATS fixed it.
If you already have the VATS bypassed, then StormFX is probably right --- the VATS control module is toast.

If it is, you can either:
  • Replace it
  • Get an EPROM burned without VATS
or ........
I remember seeing online somewhere a
device that bolts in the engine compartment and bypasses the VATS for you. I don't remember the web site, but it was $50.

Good luck,

Thomas.

[This message has been edited by Stoopalini (edited May 15, 2001).]