Electronics Need help wiring something up? Thinking of adding an electrical component to your car? Need help troubleshooting that wiring glitch?

electrical problems

Search this Thread

Old 11-11-2001, 04:03 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
electrical problems

ok, a few months ago my car died suddnely, the oil pressure switch blew and the car has an eletrical external holley fuel pump which wouldnt turn on, so I rigged up wires straight to the pump as a temp solution. Come to find out that my alternator was out too.. I think when the alternator blew a whole **** load of things went, i dotn know alot alot about cars so somebody can help verify if that is possible? anyways I just put a new alternator on today and I bought a new battery a month ago and was driving around so its dead now, anyways I put the new one on and the battery is not charging still and my stupid f*ing fan is not going on either for some odd reason and no electrical thing works, the car will run.. I thought the new alternator would make everything better, but I noticed the fan not going and I knew something was f*uped so if any of you could help me figure out what is wrong I will be very appreciative, Im ready to seriously blow my car up...
Thanks again

------------------
1988 Formula 350
Maroon, 5 speed
Edelbrock 750 cfm carb
Edelbrock Performer RPM intake manifold
Hooker super comp. headers
Hookerheaders 3 inch cat-back
3 inch pipe from headers all the way to the muffler
Gutted cat
K&N filter
WS6 Package
ATGI underbody purple neons
Black light interior
Old 11-12-2001, 10:24 PM

Anyone?

------------------
1988 Formula 350
Maroon, 5 speed
Edelbrock 750 cfm carb
Edelbrock Performer RPM intake manifold
Hooker super comp. headers
Hookerheaders 3 inch cat-back
3 inch pipe from headers all the way to the muffler
Gutted cat
K&N filter
WS6 Package
ATGI underbody purple neons
Black light interior
Old 11-12-2001, 10:33 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Car: 91 Red Sled
Axle/Gears: 10bolt Richmond 3.73 Torsen
Bring it to an Advance Autoparts store and have them check to make sure your alternator is working. They do it for free.
Next, if that checks out okay, double check that your fuses are all good. If they are, I can only believe that your alternator isn't wired right. Something is shorted or something else is fubar. Double check the obvious and if the fuses keep blowing, replace the oil pressure switch!, check to make sure the fan switch is working. Sounds like you've got a bunch of problems.
Old 11-13-2001, 02:41 PM

Car: 1991 Formula Firebird
Engine: 2001 LS1 Modded
Transmission: 2001 4L60E Yank SS3600 TC
Make sure the car is grounded properly. The negitive site of the battery should have a good connection to both the engine block and the body. The small black wire coming off the negitive (black) cable should be secured with a 10mm bolt to the front of the radiator bracket. If this wire looses ground all sorts of weird things happen with lights, etc.

Good luck.
BILL
Old 11-13-2001, 11:32 PM

Just an idea, but if the voltage regulator went out, could it have started blowing things up? Or would the fuses have protected the circuits?
Old 11-14-2001, 11:02 AM

Alternators and batterys go hand-in-hand. If you put the new alternator on without charging the battery all the way up then you probably fried the voltage regulator in the new alternator. Get another alternator with the lifetime warranty you hopefully got and start fresh with a new/fully charged battery and alternator. Fan is either the relay or the temp switch connector. Probably coincidence and totally unrelated to the alternator. Low voltage could have been the problem with the fuel pump and oil pressure. Low oil pressure with a good switch and plenty of oil is an indication of low voltage to the sending unit.

------------------
87 TA, 305 TPI, Custom CAI, K&N, ACCEL 8mm wires,ACCEL Super-coil, ACCEL Plugs, JET TPI Airfoil, Cherry Bomb Muffler, 160* thermostat
The Phoenix Project..click to see my project car
Trans Am stuff and GIRLS, GIRLS, GIRLS!!!!!