Electronics Need help wiring something up? Thinking of adding an electrical component to your car? Need help troubleshooting that wiring glitch?

Turn Signals/Emergency Flashers

Search this Thread

Old 01-28-2003, 05:45 PM
Supreme Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Turn Signals/Emergency Flashers

Well I finally got around to checking the fuses in my car to see why my turn signals and emergency lights were not working, all the fuses are fine. Ran out of ideas what the problem could be, I was told to check the flasher unit in the convienence area however I looked and could not find it. Anybody else think this is the problem? If not what should I do?
Old 01-28-2003, 09:09 PM

Hello. There are two flashers present in that area. One is located ON the convenience center and the other is hidden from view and clipped in place just behind a brace above where the convenience center is located. Look carefully. If you cannot find it just follow the wires coming from the steering column. If that unit is bad it will not allow your turn signals to illuminate. M
Old 01-30-2003, 09:05 PM

It seems odd that both the turn signals, and the emergency flashers aren't working. They use seperate flasher units, too have them both go at the same time would be very unusuall.
The convenience center that you mentioned earlier, is located under the dash pad above your right leg.. If you take the pad off under the dash and look up, you should be able to see it. It can be a real pain to get too though.
What happens when you try using your turn signals?
Do the arrows on the dash light up at all? Do the directionals on the front or the back of the car light up at all?
If the flasher was bad, I think these might still light up, but I'm not sure.
Let us know what you find out.
Old 01-30-2003, 11:29 PM
Supreme Member

The lights in the dash dont light up, no clicking sound, and they dont light up outside the car either.
Old 02-01-2003, 09:43 PM

Sounds like you not getting power to the flashers for some reason, or the directional switch is broken.
Chances are since the emergency flashers aren't working that your not getting power to the convenience center. I would look up under the underneath the dashboard by the steeering column around the convienience center, and see if you can find any broken or cut wires.
Also, befor you do that. You said your fuses are fine, but I would check to make sure your getting power to the fuse box.
What I would do is with the fuse in, use a test light or a mutimeter to see if you are getting power on both sides of the fuse.
Check it out and let us know what you find out.
Old 02-01-2003, 11:57 PM

the inconvenience center is also the root of the annoying beeps when you have the key in and the door open, right? so try that and see if you get the audio tone. and in my 92 TA, the headlight motor fuses are in there, though i don't remember this being the case on my 88 GTA. do the parking lights work? i'd be tempted to look for a dead bulb that broke the circuit somewhere too.