Electronics Need help wiring something up? Thinking of adding an electrical component to your car? Need help troubleshooting that wiring glitch?

Right turn signal lights up with headlights.

Search this Thread

Old 01-09-2005, 07:26 PM
Supreme Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Car: 87' Iroc
Engine: 350
Transmission: 700R4
Right turn signal lights up with headlights.

I don't understand, when my turn signal went out the dash will dimly light up the side that is out. However all my llights work, yet for some reason my passenger side turn dash signal bulb is now lit dimly as if a headlight or turn signal was bad.

Also, all the bulbs on the right side of the car in the front are dim (park lamps, headlight). Plus, my two headlamps in the middle are dimly lit. I don't understand it, my hi-beams are not on, yet the middle two stay lit VERY LOw, while the outside 2 stay lit like normal, however, the passenger side headlight is dimmer than the right side. Just doesn't make sense....grrr....electrical gremlins are the worst.
Old 01-09-2005, 09:08 PM
TGO Supporter

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Car: 1989 Iroc-Z
Engine: 5.7L TPI
One item that you can check there is the ground wires for the lights.
Old 01-13-2005, 05:53 PM
Supreme Member

Ground wires are good, I don't get it. It just started happening out of the blue. With the headlights off it's fine, but when I turn my headlight son, the right turn signal bulbs stays dimly lit. All my right side front exterior bulbs run dim with the headlights on. I don't even know what to check. None of my bulbs are out...
Old 01-13-2005, 05:57 PM

Car: 1984 z28
Engine: L98
Transmission: 700r4
Axle/Gears: 3.23
i had that problem(interior signal light staying on) on my 1984 camaro, when i changed the pigtail for the front marker, signal light, it fixed it.
Old 01-13-2005, 08:40 PM
Supreme Member

I replaced every bulb on the car, both lo beams, both park lamp bulbs, both sidemarker bulbs.

With the headlights off, but the park lamps/sidemarkers on, both are bright. As soon as I turn the headlights on, the right side turns dim. The right headlight turns on, but the park lamp/sidemarker on the right side go dim, the left side stays all bright. Both middle headlights turn on dimly as well, even though the hibeams on not on, yet all 4 headlamps turn on.

I'll take a picture tomorrow, that will show it better. It just makes no sense. All the bulbs are good, all the bulbs are lighting up, but the right side is lighting up dimly, and the dash turn signal dimly stays lit all the time as if a bulb was out.

EDIT: Okay, so when I turn my high beams on, the left side works fine, the right side is another story. The outermost right side stays dimly lit, the right side center high beam stay dimly lit, even lower than the lo beam.

All I know is that when I turn my parklamps/sidemarkers on everything is fine. When I turn my headlights on my right turn signal stays lit. Is this because my right side high beam is messed up?

Last edited by StealthElephant; 01-14-2005 at 04:40 PM.
Old 05-12-2007, 06:32 AM

Re: Right turn signal lights up with headlights.

I have the exact same problem. '86 IROC, left signal works fine, right signal works fine with headlights off, right signal stays on (will not blink) with headlights on - dimly lit on dash. Two middle headlamps are dimly lit with the headlights on.

Has anyone figured out how to solve this problem?

Originally Posted by StealthElephant
I don't understand, when my turn signal went out the dash will dimly light up the side that is out. However all my llights work, yet for some reason my passenger side turn dash signal bulb is now lit dimly as if a headlight or turn signal was bad.

Also, all the bulbs on the right side of the car in the front are dim (park lamps, headlight). Plus, my two headlamps in the middle are dimly lit. I don't understand it, my hi-beams are not on, yet the middle two stay lit VERY LOw, while the outside 2 stay lit like normal, however, the passenger side headlight is dimmer than the right side. Just doesn't make sense....grrr....electrical gremlins are the worst.
Old 05-12-2007, 07:21 AM

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts
Car: '91 Trans Am
Engine: LB9
Transmission: 5 speed

What happens if you actually turn on the signal with the lights on? Do they get brighter and fade out over and over?

I have a problem where my right blinker won't blink if the headlights are up..
Old 05-12-2007, 03:38 PM

Car: 86 firebird v6,86 corvette,88 GTA
Engine: 350 C.I.,2.8l.
Transmission: th700r4
Axle/Gears: 3:08,3:27

What you describe sounds like a bad ground wire on your passenger side headlight.It's seeking ground through your other lights.The ground is located just behind the light assembly.Clean it up and you should be fine.
Old 05-13-2007, 06:27 PM

Originally Posted by rhomanski
What you describe sounds like a bad ground wire on your passenger side headlight.It's seeking ground through your other lights.The ground is located just behind the light assembly.Clean it up and you should be fine.
I agree. Now I don't do this stuff much on cars, but I am a "novice" aircraft electrician. Stuff like this always seems to come out of the blue. Sounds like you have a short on your ground wire. Could be seeking ground from something it could be touching? Try removing ground the ground wire and check the intensity of your lights. If this fixes corrects the problem, ayou might want to try replacing the wire itself. It isn't always connections...could be the wire itself.

Last edited by Jb87IROC; 05-13-2007 at 06:35 PM.
Old 05-14-2007, 02:02 PM

Car: 86 firebird v6,86 corvette,88 GTA
Engine: 350 C.I.,2.8l.
Transmission: th700r4
Axle/Gears: 3:08,3:27

I meant your light isn't getting a ground.The ground has corroded and is open.It should be located on the body just behind the light assembly.Hope this helps.
Old 08-06-2007, 09:41 PM

Well - got the problem fixed. Open ground in the light assembly
If anyone needs a good mechanic shop in the Orange County area, I highly recommend this one:
Castner's Auto
Placentia, CA
714 528-1311

Family run business. They love 3rd gens
Old 08-07-2007, 03:16 AM

My right turn signal is messing up too!

I think it might be a bulb, but the left turn signal works, but the right one doesn't...

87' Camaro