Electronics Need help wiring something up? Thinking of adding an electrical component to your car? Need help troubleshooting that wiring glitch?

Wierd problems

Search this Thread

Old 02-18-2006, 12:32 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Car: 87Z28
Engine: 98 Ls1
Transmission: 4l60
Axle/Gears: 307
Wierd problems

Ok got a few problems I am dealing with ,

1. I reinstalled my windshield wiper motor and now it only works on HI and only travels up and down about 2-3 inches from park, but when I turn them to the OFF position they go down neatly into parked position.

2. I took out my original gage cluster and now the HI beams dont work but the low beams do. Does this have to do with the fact that the indicator HI beams light is not installed and grounded via the cluster? Anyone take out there cluster and experience the same problem?

3. The front parking lights are not working, both front and side markers, BUT they work when I use the blinkers. Also the tail lights are working, yes HI brake too. They use to work when I had the original cluster pluged in I think, is there a grounding issue for this since I removed the cluster?

4. Fuel gage, I hooked up a volt meter at ohms to my pink fuel gage wire from the cluster ( pink , 4 , C1 ) and it should be giving me a reading from 90 - 0 ohms , ( 90 -full , 0-empty ), and with fuel in the tank im still getting a 0 reading. I know its got gas in it at least half a tank so should be getting some kind of reading am I right? I noticed my ohms on my volt meter only went as low as a 200 setting, is it to high to pick up 90-0? . I know there is 3 wires from the sending unit on the tank, Brown, pink and black. I cut the brown wire and ran my fuel pump relay into that when I installed a new pump for the ls1. In my 87 electrical diagnosis shop manual it dont show much for the fuel gage wiring just a pink wire from the unit. This is confusing me and I dont think the fuel gage worked when I had the original cluster in after swap.

I just got over figuring out how to wire the new altinator right now stuck on these issues. Other than that I got it purring like a snuggled kitten.
Attached Thumbnails Wierd problems-dsc00033.jpg  
Old 02-18-2006, 12:34 AM

pic
Attached Thumbnails Wierd problems-dsc00035.jpg  
Old 02-18-2006, 12:38 AM

motor
Attached Thumbnails Wierd problems-dsc00038.jpg  
Old 02-18-2006, 01:34 AM
Supreme Member

Car: 83 POS monte carlo 2015 chevy P/U
Engine: 92 5.7 tpi 5.3
Transmission: 700r4 6L60E
Axle/Gears: 2.42 too high
welcome to the boards. nice car

i take it you did the LS swap yourself, if so then you know your way around wiring, but a few questions & things to check.

on your wipers, recheck the connectors at the motor & the switch.

the head lights should switch beams without the hi-beam indicator. do the head lights turn off when you switch from low to high? if they do check for power at the head lights. if they stay on but don't change beams, does the dimmer switch click when you change from low to high?

on the front parking lights, check the bulbs, the park light elements could be burned out on both bulbs. if the bulbs are good, check for power at the sockets. bad grounds at the front sockets are common & can cause your problem, so check for a good grounds at both sockets.

using the 200 ohm setting on you meter is fine. if you can unplug the wiring harness at or near the sending unit & see if you still have a 0 reading. also, if you can disconnect the sending unit harness, see if the gage moves when you have it unplugged.
Old 02-18-2006, 02:13 AM

Lights

I got low beams working. When I pull back to click on HI beams none work. I do hear the switch clicking normaly.

The front/side parkings light dont light, but the rear do, funny thing is that they work both front/side when I use the blinker, the RH blinker does get sticky tho, I noticed the RH front parking light didnt light but side did when I had the blinker on last. Im replace that bulb and do the volt test at the headlamps when it gets light out.
Attached Thumbnails Wierd problems-dsc00040.jpg  
Old 02-20-2006, 05:54 PM

update

I tested the voltage at the headlights when HI beams are on and there is no voltage to either low or hi headlights, They work just fine on low beams.

I changed the light bulb in the pass side front parking light and now it blinks with the rest of the right side. Both sides light when the blinker is on, front/side/back, but when the parking lights/headlights on the front dont light up, the rear are working, along with the HI brake.

I checked the grounds by the headlights and they where never moved or damaged in the install. I was thinking it had to do with removing the original cluster out of the dash. Has anyone had a similiar problem like this ?

Windshield wiper conections at the unit are good. Fuses good.

Anyone had this problem or any advice before I dive back into it ?
Old 02-21-2006, 12:29 AM
Supreme Member

i don't think there is anything that just swapping the cluster would cause a problem with the lights other than maybe some of the wiring getting pulled out of some of the connectors

on the headlights the next thing to check is the dimmer switch, make sure none of the connectors are not pulled out & you have power for the high beams coming out of it. if it checks good check
the bulk head connector at the firewall.

on the front parking lights, i would go ahead & check the bulk head connector, as that may be where the head light problem is at too.

on the wipers without a wiring diagram im not sure of what else to check at this point other than maybe the ground wire where it hooks up to the body.
Old 02-21-2006, 12:49 PM

Fixed it !

It was the bulkhead connector, ( C100 ) on the cowl , I remembered I had removed it at the very begining of the install but I thought I put it back snuggly, well I appears that I never came back and tightened the little bolt that locks it in, It didnt feel lose but after tighting up the bolt some my wipers, HI beams , and front markers all lit up and worked ! I am very happy it was just something very simple that I just overlooked. Much props to DENN_SHAH for the tip, thanks man. That simply made my day. Now all got to do is figure out the speedo and fuel gage.
Old 02-21-2006, 09:51 PM
Supreme Member

no problem

what cluster did you put in?
without looking at a wiring diagram im not 100% sure on this, but i think the forthgen fuel gage may get its' signal from the PCM, & im pretty sure the forthgen speedo also gets its' signal from the PCM.
Old 02-22-2006, 05:23 PM

gages

I am installing Autometer Carbon Fiber series speedo/volt/fuel/temp/trans.temp/fuelpress/oil.press/
Got everything working but the trans.temp and the fuel gage, got the speedo wired up, calibrated yesterday. I need to get a new panel the one in it nows home made but I wanted something I can work with until I was sure what all I wanted in the cluster.