Electronics Need help wiring something up? Thinking of adding an electrical component to your car? Need help troubleshooting that wiring glitch?

Who Knows How To Bypass VATS???

Search this Thread

Old 05-24-2007, 07:38 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Who Knows How To Bypass VATS???

ok i got a major problem, alot of people telling me that i got a VATS module out, and the auto electronic speciallist says that would cost me around 7-8 hundred dollars to change it, so i know it is possible to bypass it, so who knows how or knows someone who knows how...
Old 05-24-2007, 08:22 PM

Car: '68 396 SS/RS, '02 SS
Re: Who Knows How To Bypass VATS???

Originally Posted by ness's91rs
ok i got a major problem, alot of people telling me that i got a VATS module out, and the auto electronic speciallist says that would cost me around 7-8 hundred dollars to change it, so i know it is possible to bypass it, so who knows how or knows someone who knows how...
I parted out a '92 last year and sold the vats box to someone for like 5 bucks. He only needed the box because his had failed. He didn't need the key only the vats box, so any vats box might work.
Old 05-24-2007, 09:11 PM

Car: 1990 Formula
Engine: 95 LT1
Transmission: T56
Axle/Gears: Weak 7.5 with 4.10s

If you get a new VATS module it will program itself to your key. If you get a used one it has to have the matching key/lock cylinder or get lucky andfind one that is the same as yours since they are a set. There are VATS bypass modules on ebay all the time for 25-30 dollars. The other option is to have it programmed out.
Old 05-24-2007, 11:40 PM

Can you give a little more detail as to what your problem is and how you came to figure out what your problem is... Believe me there are a lot of wrong answers to simple problems.. all you may need to do is install a resistor that matches your resistor in your key, to your ignition wire.. I spent over two months asking questions with maybe this or maybe that is your problem,, I think you have to install something here or there, I'm not sure , but you'll figure it out... It is totally amazing how many people out there that you'd think should know that know absoluetly nothing at all about these third gen cars... Good Luck,!!!... Does your car start sometimes and not other times.??? When it will not start does your security light stay on..????.. If so, it sounds like your ignition key wires are breaking and only making contact once in awhile... There are two white wires that come down from your key ignition out your steering wheel and plug into another plug.. the two white wires have a orange sheath around them.. they are pretty small wires.. you can unplug them under the dash and attach the proper resistor between the two white wires.. it worked for me... oh,, yeah.. Radio Shack use to have a slogan,,, "You got Questions,??, We Have Answers"... ,,, .... Well I went there and they could'nt even get a reading on my key resistor... I ended up going to a car security system place and he new all about the vats system... He checked the resistence on my key chip and give me a resistor to match for free.. He was the one who give me the most straight forward answers to my questions on where and how to do it... and it was all free....

Last edited by Talon; 05-24-2007 at 11:44 PM.
Old 05-24-2007, 11:48 PM
sp63

look at my thread down below.
Old 05-25-2007, 09:24 PM

Car: '68 396 SS/RS, '02 SS

Originally Posted by sp63
Old 05-26-2007, 07:49 AM

Originally Posted by sp63
See,, Thats the kind of answers I'm use to getting... .. Quite frustrating ... You'll have to get bits and pieces of info from 15 different people before you'll be able to figure out how to fix the problem...
Old 05-26-2007, 10:10 AM

bypassing Vats is very simple. There are only 15 possible VAtS resistances. I don't know all of them offhand but i can find out. all you need to do to bypass the VATS is unplug the connector from the keycylinder. there should be two white wires coming off the cylinder and then there wil be a small black plug. Measure the resistance of the key and get the corresponding resistor. unplug the connector and the part that goes to the ECM you will take the resistor and loop it between the two wires going to the ecm. the ones going to the key clyinder you will just leave alone. the beauty is you can get two dollar keys from home depot now. HTH
Old 05-28-2007, 10:13 AM
sp63

Originally Posted by Talon
See,, Thats the kind of answers I'm use to getting... .. Quite frustrating ... You'll have to get bits and pieces of info from 15 different people before you'll be able to figure out how to fix the problem...
ok well if you did bother to look at my thread like 5 posts below this one the other day, i did a STEP BY STEP manual on bypassing the vats. bu you know what. im going to remove it so people cant see it anymore. im just not going to say anything in threads asking for help.
Old 04-23-2008, 09:13 PM

Car: 89 Formula350

i just measured mine (between both white wires) and it read less than 1000 ohms. Is this correct?