Electronics Need help wiring something up? Thinking of adding an electrical component to your car? Need help troubleshooting that wiring glitch?

Clicking at the starter, but not cranking.

Search this Thread

Old 07-22-2009, 09:11 PM
Supreme Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Car: '88 Trans Am GTA; '84 Trans Am
Engine: L98 350TPI; 5.3 LSx built
Transmission: N/A; T56
Axle/Gears: 3.70 9 bolt; 3.73 10 bolt
Clicking at the starter, but not cranking.

I finally got my TA running after five years of work, got plates and insurance and naturally the car decides to quit on me after one trip. I wanted to check my coolant flow because according to my temp gauge it was off the charts, the gauge might be screwy because of five years of no use. Anyway, on to the problem.

After I shut the car off I checked all my fluids and etc, everything checked out so I thought I would give the car another run. I got in and tried to crank it. I got nothing. There are three grounds, one at the Alternator bracket, the back of the engine and the fender, all are tight. The + cables are all tight. Battery is brand new, and starter was good the last time I bench tested it a week ago. The car would fire up fairly easily, sometimes needing a couple juices of throttle, but otherwise would fire up. The starter is clicking but not turning the engine over. I thought about replacing the starter, but we've been through this with my brother's MR2, (still isn't solved), I want to avoid all the problems and part replacements that we had with his car if possible.

Electrical is not my strong point, and I was going to take the car to the Muffler shop on Friday, as I have an appt there. Can anyone help me fix this in a day?

I can start by pulling the starter for a bench test but if that checks out I'm out of ideas. Cables should be fine as it started up 10 -15 times without much issue. Thanks for any help with this.
Old 07-22-2009, 09:25 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Car: 86 IROC
Engine: SC'ed 350
Transmission: 700R4
Axle/Gears: 4.11 12bolt
Re: Clicking at the starter, but not cranking.

I had the same problem about 5 years ago, the car sat for a couple years, a new starter solved the problem mostly, and a set of new side post screws finished it off. They were pretty well worn over the years, yeah, they got tight but must not of engaged well.
Old 07-22-2009, 09:33 PM
Supreme Member

So you suggest replacing the starter that might have 172,000 miles on it? I also replaced the bolts that you mentioned for the posts on the battery. I'd rather not mess with the cables because we have a Bronco with cables that are 100 times worse conditionwise and that thing starts.

We replaced the starter on the MR2 for the same problem I'm describing and you experienced and that car still doesn't start.
Old 07-22-2009, 09:42 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Car: 86 IROC
Engine: SC'ed 350
Transmission: 700R4
Axle/Gears: 4.11 12bolt

When your starter was working, was it really slow? I remember the new starter cranking much faster than the old one, it was worn out. But I didn't realize that until i got the new one. I believe once the car was hot the starter would only tick until it cooled off.
Old 07-22-2009, 09:51 PM
Supreme Member

Originally Posted by wwnf
When your starter was working, was it really slow? I remember the new starter cranking much faster than the old one, it was worn out. But I didn't realize that until i got the new one. I believe once the car was hot the starter would only tick until it cooled off.

I thought there was room for improvement with the starter cranking. All our other cars fire right up in the span of a second or two. The Trans Am takes a little longer as its a little slower. Maybe it finally gave up the ghost. After all a bench test a week ago said it was good. I know it was also sitting on a shelf for 7 years so no doubt the insides are corroded and worn out and etc etc etc. I thought about the neutral start switch at the bottom of the clutch but if its clicking then obviously its working. Maybe I'll just get a new starter just to eliminate that problem. If it is the original starter then it has close to 200,000 miles on it.........Perhaps what I should do is replace the starter, (or get it rebuilt), and see if there is a difference. If it starts then problem solved, if not then back to square one.
Old 07-23-2009, 11:18 PM

Car: '91 RS
Engine: 350
Transmission: 700r4
Axle/Gears: 3.23

This same type of thing happened to me about a month a half ago. The car had quite a few problems, but it would start. Can you still turn the crank by hand??? My 91 RS decided she wasn't happy with the motor so she let it seize up. I didn't think to try this myself, a buddy came and helped me out after he saw me laying under the car doing the old "tap the starter" test. It was getting fuel, and the starter would just make this disgusting thud noise. Hope your problem isn't the same as mine. Good luck!
Old 07-24-2009, 06:41 AM
Supreme Member

Turning the motor was the second thing I tried. It turned. Turns out myself and a couple others were right in suspecting the starter....the Armature exploded. Got it rebuilt for 80 bucks, it lives again. Thanks guys