Electronics Need help wiring something up? Thinking of adding an electrical component to your car? Need help troubleshooting that wiring glitch?

Need help (what size fuse)

Search this Thread

Old 09-17-2009, 10:06 AM

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Car: 1989 IROC-Z
Engine: 350 TPI
Transmission: Th700R4
Axle/Gears: 3.27
Need help (what size fuse)

Hi!

I changed my main power cables, both the ones on battery->starter and battery->head/block and also I changed the battery->generator (alternator)

in the alternator/generator one there was an "fusible link" I think, I took a picture of it :

Is there a way of using an regular larger FUSE instead of that **** ? or isnt that possibe ?

This 2 connectors goes into this :

And its the + to the DUAL fans (stock/original ones)
ATM I have cut the wire (as shown in picture) and running it from battery to the connectors..

But I want to replace this old wire/fusible link. So can I use a regular fuse and new wires from the battery to this connectors ?

Please help
Old 09-17-2009, 01:44 PM

Re: Need help (what size fuse)

In this diagram you see the "fusible link" : http://theking.joakimweb.se/z28/tech/scans/pg137.jpg

The cable I have cut and made a 10cm cable from battery to fans atm.
Shall there be a fuse between the alternator/generator and the + terminal on the battery, or is the fusible link (pictures in my post above) only for the fan wires ?

The orange one is FAN (+) but I have 2 connectors as shown in my pictures above, and both go into the fusible link.

I have a seperate 10mm Cable from (+) on generator to (+) on battery now.
and I have cut the old generator cable to 10cm and connected that seperatly to (+) on the battery to have the fusible link (2 connectors) connected..

But my question is, can I remove the fusible link, and replace it with a regular fuse ? and if so ? what size ?

and will it be fine running a "clean" 10mm wire from generator to battery (+) with no fuse or anything ?..

Please help me, dont wanna drive it until I know its all good to run.. It works awesome now, but I dont wanna run it until I know its 100% fine

Ps. Sorry for being a pita with all this text, but I really want to know, so I dont break anything.. ds.

Some pictures and info from the main power cable change here, if you want to look at some pictures etc :
https://www.thirdgen.org/forums/elec...e-battery.html

Last edited by Theking; 09-17-2009 at 01:48 PM.
Old 09-19-2009, 07:09 AM

Anyone ?
Old 09-22-2009, 01:39 AM

Is there anyway to see what size the fusiblelink is ? cause I really wanna change it to a regular fuse instead ?
Old 03-16-2010, 06:21 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Car: 86 IROC-Z28
Engine: LB9
Transmission: 700r4

I am working on the same thing right now. I will let you know as soon as I figure it out. I have the one large wire to the alternator that I am replacing with heavier gauge and I want to go all the way to the battery with it. The other two wires head over to my relays. One of them goes through another fuse mounted inside the passenger fender near the battery. I keep seeing this referred to as a fusible link but I am not sure that is what it is. I am going to open it up and check it. I think it may just be a junction. I say this because of the fuse on the fender. Why have two in a row? If it is a fuse, all you have to do is replace it with an inline fuse that is the correct amperage. I am putting in a powermaster 140amp so I will let you know what I do if you haven't already fixed yours.
Old 03-16-2010, 06:56 PM

Originally Posted by P-ROC
I am working on the same thing right now. I will let you know as soon as I figure it out. I have the one large wire to the alternator that I am replacing with heavier gauge and I want to go all the way to the battery with it. The other two wires head over to my relays. One of them goes through another fuse mounted inside the passenger fender near the battery. I keep seeing this referred to as a fusible link but I am not sure that is what it is. I am going to open it up and check it. I think it may just be a junction. I say this because of the fuse on the fender. Why have two in a row? If it is a fuse, all you have to do is replace it with an inline fuse that is the correct amperage. I am putting in a powermaster 140amp so I will let you know what I do if you haven't already fixed yours.
Thanks for the reply, I have changed the wires but not the fuselinks, I have a fresh thread here asking for fuse sizes : https://www.thirdgen.org/forums/elec...need-help.html

Check it out. I have already installed large wires from starter to batt and larger wire from alternator to batt, soon ill change the 3 fuselinks to (2 from starter to fusebox) and the 3rd fuse link from battery to fans and injectors (2 cabels to the same fuse link, stock wiring.)

Please let me know what size fuses youll use instead of the fuse links
Old 03-16-2010, 10:12 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Car: 86 IROC-Z28
Engine: LB9
Transmission: 700r4

The Painless wiring kit that I got with my alternator recommends using Part# 80101. It's a 70 Amp Maxi Fuse. I am ordering it tonight.
Old 03-17-2010, 04:57 AM

Originally Posted by P-ROC
The Painless wiring kit that I got with my alternator recommends using Part# 80101. It's a 70 Amp Maxi Fuse. I am ordering it tonight.
Where whall that be placed ? Between (+) from alternator to (+) terminal on battery ? Or are you going to use that 70AMP fuse to the fans/fuelinjectors (as the picture at the top?

Cause right now I done have a fuse between battery and the laternator (its a 105A stock alternator) there is no need for a fuse between alternator and battery terminal, but the fans/injectors (in the picture in the first post) need one..
Old 03-18-2010, 11:14 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Car: 91 Z28 Conv.
Engine: 305
Transmission: 700r4 auto
Axle/Gears: 3.27 posi

i just did and upgrade to the 2 guage battery cables and ran stock 8 ga wire from my Alt. to the dist. box by the battery and ran a 12 guage fuseable link in line meaning 8 guage wire off Alt, then before it connects to the power dist. box, run 6 inches of 12 guage fuseable link wire, like my factory service manual says, on a 91 firebird 305
Old 03-18-2010, 01:06 PM

Originally Posted by rjdavis2001
i just did and upgrade to the 2 guage battery cables and ran stock 8 ga wire from my Alt. to the dist. box by the battery and ran a 12 guage fuseable link in line meaning 8 guage wire off Alt, then before it connects to the power dist. box, run 6 inches of 12 guage fuseable link wire, like my factory service manual says, on a 91 firebird 305

Ill write that down and I will draw a schematic so I better can see how I shall set it up :-)

Do you have any pictures of all your setup (fuselinks etc) would be very appricated also if you ordered online, I would be very happy for links to the fuselinks.

Cause mainpower cables etc I already changed to. just the 3 fuselinks left to change..