Electronics Need help wiring something up? Thinking of adding an electrical component to your car? Need help troubleshooting that wiring glitch?

electrical problems

Search this Thread

Old 03-29-2010, 03:52 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
electrical problems

when i hit my brake my running lights come on and my instrument panel goes crazy. can anybody tell me whats going on?
Old 03-29-2010, 05:44 PM

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Car: 1989 IROC-Z
Engine: 350 TPI
Transmission: Th700R4
Axle/Gears: 3.27
Re: electrical problems

You need to check your gorunds, and cables under the steering column, you need to check if something is loose or on the way of breaking.

Have your wires checked out under the driversidepanel..

Its hard to say exactly whats wrong, when you dont tell what car it is.
Year, engine, man/auto etc..
Old 06-14-2010, 11:55 AM

Hi,
I have almost the same problem here, if i turn on mt turn singnal my stero shuts off, my gauges go crazy , if i turn n my break same thing happens it even gives me gas if i turn on my light my battery gauges goes down, honk my horn it goes crazy anything electrical makes it go crazy and shuts off my stero??? its a 1990 camaro RS V6 3.1liter
any help is appreciated
Old 06-14-2010, 02:38 PM
Supreme Member

Car: 87IROC, 740iBMW, 328iBMW, 86GMC
Engine: 5.7, 4.4LV8, 2.8, 6.0
Transmission: Manuals & Auto's
Axle/Gears: 3.27, 3.42

Originally Posted by Anisen
when i hit my brake my running lights come on and my instrument panel goes crazy. can anybody tell me whats going on?
Have you done any re-wiring work? Dis-connected, added, deleted, or tried to fix anything electrical? First guess is that you have battery going to ground somewhere near an area that wiring work was done with battery / voltage being introduced via the brake switch to ground causing the full lighting condition to occur. Did you re-wire your rear brake lights or disconnect and reconnect the rear wiring harnesses? Somewhere in your car you have brake switch activated battery finding or wired to a ground wire or the insulation has been compromised and the metalic conductor is introducing voltage to the body, that's also commonly used for grounding.
Old 06-14-2010, 03:45 PM

well see thats the problem i dont know cuz i just bought thins car a lil while ago.... im 15 getting ready to drive. my ground wires seem to be fine frm what i saw, i know i am missing a couple smller fused the little ones i dont know what there called or look like since there not there, so would not havein these fuses cause it to do that??? ok well from what i understand there called spade fuses/mini fuses?? whoult it cause that??

Last edited by nevecamaro; 06-14-2010 at 06:22 PM.
Old 06-16-2010, 06:24 AM
Supreme Member

Car: 87IROC, 740iBMW, 328iBMW, 86GMC
Engine: 5.7, 4.4LV8, 2.8, 6.0
Transmission: Manuals & Auto's
Axle/Gears: 3.27, 3.42

Missing fuses wont cause or create the condition you're having. Without fuses the circuit is open, or should be if the wiring is correct.

A good wiring schematic is probably in order. Pick up a Chilton repair manual to aid you in identifying the circuits and compoents. Also, purchase a ohm / battery / ac test set to also aid you in tracing open and or shorted circuits, etc. Both will set you back about $50+- and will be invaluable investments as you work on and learn about your car.

Good luck
Old 06-16-2010, 07:16 AM
Banned

Sounds like a cross short, might be between your brake switch and obviously an unknown wire(s). Unplug your brake switch from the pedal inside, hit the brake pedal and check if it does it again just to make sure your brake pedal isnt smashing and other wires and it is related to the brake switch.
I would take the poster's advice above me. Get a volt/ohm/amp meter, digital. Very cheap ones are 20$, manual, about $20. Study your A off, and never give up hope even when you feel you want to give up. Nothing more satisfying that fixing your own car, especially when it is something as complex as a cross short.
Old 06-16-2010, 10:46 AM

well thanks both of you, i do have a chilton repair manual, no amp meter, umm my last question on this part would be dont they make those dyno or whatever computers that you hook up to your battery and it will send that info through the car, then end up back on your screen tellin you where the short is?? cuz if they do it wpuld be alot easier LOL