Electronics Need help wiring something up? Thinking of adding an electrical component to your car? Need help troubleshooting that wiring glitch?

Ignition box for forced induction?

Search this Thread

Old 02-04-2011, 11:16 AM
Supreme Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Car: 83Z28 HO
Engine: Magnacharged Dart Little M 408
Transmission: G Force 5 speed
Axle/Gears: Moser 9" w/Detroit Trutrac
Ignition box for forced induction?

I've read in a few places that an ignition box is a good idea with a blown engine.

I guess I can see the logic since most non-computer boosted cars with a carb are running slightly rich (12:1) to prevent any lean condition.

I know I've read also that these boxes do nothing and to save your money, but I can't help but to think the multiple spark at idle up to 3K will help it run a bit cleaner (and perhaps smoother)...if nothing else...

I have a slightly unique setup - I am running a Mallory Unilite distributor, and yes, I have the recommended "Power Filter" to prevent the sensor from seeing any voltage spikes, so I'm hoping this dist. will last a while.

Most of these ignition boxes say they are for a magnetic pickup, which of course mine isn't - If I get one at all, I want to get one with a rev limiter, but which box will work with this Unilite? Not looking to spend a fortune for options I'll never use.

Any suggestions out there?
Old 02-04-2011, 11:33 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Car: 1992 Z28
Engine: Forged LS3
Transmission: T56 stage 2 clutch
Axle/Gears: 35 spline with 3.55 gears
Re: Ignition box for forced induction?

Hello,
I had a MSD BTM box with my supercharger before I had the FAST ECM installed. It retards the timming under boost.

Here is more info:
http://www.msdignition.com/Products/...ng_Master.aspx

Later,
Robbie
Old 02-04-2011, 03:33 PM
Supreme Member

Originally Posted by 1fas92
Hello,
I had a MSD BTM box with my supercharger before I had the FAST ECM installed. It retards the timming under boost.

Here is more info:
http://www.msdignition.com/Products/...ng_Master.aspx

Later,
Robbie
Thanks for the reply! I already have a MSD universal boost retard....but as far as I can tell, it's not compatible with this Unilite distributor I have and it doesn't have the muliple spark. I have my timing set up right, so I really don't use it.

Any other brands out there besides MSD that are good boxes? The one you posted is nice, and on the good side I already have the remote boost dial - it's the same one that came with my universal BTM -but 374 bucks, and only those specific RPM settings for rev limiting? -

Last edited by Confuzed1; 02-04-2011 at 03:58 PM.
Old 02-04-2011, 03:48 PM
Supreme Member

I looked this on up -
http://www.summitracing.com/parts/MAA-6852M/
I like the fact that the min. operating voltage is 8 volts instead of 10 like MSD, it's digital and it's 150 bucks...says it'll with with "electronic" pickups (Unilite??) -but the downside is that there's no limiter at all.

Even Summit sells one:
http://www.summitracing.com/parts/SUM-850610/
The good -It has a rev limiter, it's digital, 150 bucks - But - it's spark output is 100 millijoles compared to 135 from the Mallory above - it's min operating voltage is 10, and who knows who makes it...and - not clear to me if it'll work with a Unilite...

Last edited by Confuzed1; 02-04-2011 at 03:53 PM.
Old 02-04-2011, 03:53 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Car: '85 TA
Engine: 350 turbo
Transmission: T56
Axle/Gears: 3.70 posi 9bolt

I use the MSD 6A box on my setup. Since you want a rev limiter, the 6AL box would be ok to use. If you don't want to use MSD, I found this from another forum:

Yes, you could hook up a Mallory Hyfire such as the 6AL (#6853M) or even the Hyfire 6AL-2 (#6861M). This will be an easy hook up to the Unilite Distributor, just make sure you don't use the ballast resistor. Adding this type of ignition box will help smooth out the idle, increase throttle response while making the rpms climb faster, and since its digital, hitting the rev-limit will not be an earth shaking experience.
Old 02-05-2011, 10:37 AM
Supreme Member

Thanks for all the help guys!!

As I said, I currently have a MSD PN 5462 - Universal Boost Timing Master. There's no instructions on how this can be hooked up to work with a Mallory Unilite distributor....if there is a way, would I be just as well off using what I already have?? Just wanting to get your thoughts on this...

If it turns out that it won't work with this Unilite I have, I guess I'll just sell it and take the loss...
Old 02-07-2011, 02:11 PM

5462 to Mallory Unilite:

Unfortunately, the 5462 doesn't give you the multiple spark and increased output. The later model 6462 (6BTM) is a 6AL with a Boost Timing Master built in.
Old 02-07-2011, 03:48 PM
Supreme Member

Originally Posted by calebzman
5462 to Mallory Unilite:
Unfortunately, the 5462 doesn't give you the multiple spark and increased output. The later model 6462 (6BTM) is a 6AL with a Boost Timing Master built in.
Awesome! -Thanks calebzman! Mallory really needs to give out better instructions...that diagram is no where to be foud in the instruction book that came with mine....and it appears model I have has been discontinued anyway..now it's a model 8762 and it looks a little different from the one I have.

And you're right - I should've gotten the 6AL!! I think I could actually hook up another multi-spark box to this one...but there's really no place to put the darn thing. Figures....
Old 02-13-2011, 08:45 AM
Supreme Member

Originally Posted by Confuzed1
Awesome! -Thanks calebzman! Mallory really needs to give out better instructions...that diagram is no where to be foud in the instruction book that came with mine....and it appears model I have has been discontinued anyway..now it's a model 8762 and it looks a little different from the one I have.

And you're right - I should've gotten the 6AL!! I think I could actually hook up another multi-spark box to this one...but there's really no place to put the darn thing. Figures....
One more question....or maybe an opinion. -If- I do find room somewhere to run both the boost retard box along with a multi-spark ignition box, do you think I'll see any benefits or gains? You'll get an idea of my setup in my sig.

I've done searches on the benefit of these multi spark boxes on NA applicaions, and it seems to be split amoungest most people. Either they think they are worth it, and others say there's really no gain at all over a decent standard ignition. So will getting one of these ignition boxes worth the money and effort in my case??
Old 02-14-2011, 03:24 PM

Since you are supercharged, I would recommend anything that provides stronger spark.