Electronics Need help wiring something up? Thinking of adding an electrical component to your car? Need help troubleshooting that wiring glitch?

92 RS Wireing issue... easy fix??

Search this Thread

Old 08-21-2011, 03:16 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Car: 92 T-Top RS Camaro
Engine: 305 .30 over Mild RV Cam
Transmission: Auto 700R4
Axle/Gears: 3.73
92 RS Wireing issue... easy fix??

Ok here is the rundown of what i've done resently... and what just happened.

I installed a new MSD Street fire HEI distributor (replaced my old msd hei with a new one simple swap)

Installed new MSD Street Fire Plug wires

That is all i did... took the car for a test drive and everything worked fine.. but TODAY I was heading to the store, stoped and checked everything on the car as it has sat for a few weeks and was makeing shure there where no new leaks or low tires. Got BACK in the car and NON of my gauges where working.... (except my mechanical gauges i installed)

So my speedo stoped working, it reads 20 mph all the time now, my volt meter reads 0, my gas gauge says 1/4 tank.. (witch was where it was before everything stoped) my temp gauge reads 190* witch is where it was when the gauges stoped working... My tack was hooked up to the fuse box (aftermarket) and it read 800 rpm (where the car was idleing at) I hooked the tack power wire up to a "hot wire" from the battery, then the tack started working...

Here is where things get weird, the radio was working fine before everything went crazy, now the radio pops when the car is running and sounds fine when the car is shut off...

AND the headlights... when you tern the headlights on the alarm goes off saying that you forgot to tern them off, after removeing the key or shuting the car off... the alarm goes off when the car is running!

So anyone know what wires i need to look for.. also all fuses are in place and good, checked them all 3 times now.
Old 08-23-2011, 04:34 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Car: 92 T-Top RS Camaro
Engine: 305 .30 over Mild RV Cam
Transmission: Auto 700R4
Axle/Gears: 3.73
Re: 92 RS Wireing issue... easy fix??

Ok now ive spent the last few days chaseing wires... I have yet to find a short, or a missing wire. BUT I did get the gauges to work.. now I dont know what the hell is going on with the car, i just know that i some how go them to work on a switch.

I have a torque converter lock up switch (P.O installed it) It is a L.E.D. toggle switch, it has worked fine sens i got the car back in jan. I snagged the wire that ran the L.E.D. light with my foot one night and ripped it out, so i took it all the way out and never re-installed it. After all the issues I desided to put a "Hot wire" (direct wire from the battery) to the L.E.D part of the toggle switch.. here is where it gets confusing. With the torque converter locked in (light off) non of my gauges work, the lights are left on alarm goes off when the headlights are on and the car is running.. Flip the switch on (led light terns on) witch unlocks the torque converter, the gauges start working, the head lights no longer do the alarm thing... and everything works as should... EXCEPT the radio still fades in and out every 15 to 30 seconds.

Please guys any ideas??? Also ive been looking for the ECM on the car, and it is no where to be found, so im guessing it has been pulled out by the P.O.

Please someone help, EVEN if its a guess, or a hunch, or just look here or look there for such n such wire... Yes I know theres a short somewhere im shure.. But the fuse box is getting power.. so why wouldnt the gauges work without adding MORE power to it?