Electronics Need help wiring something up? Thinking of adding an electrical component to your car? Need help troubleshooting that wiring glitch?

Installing Alarm, Iginition harness

Search this Thread

Old 11-20-2011, 01:34 PM
Supreme Member

Received 30 Likes on 18 Posts
Installing Alarm, Iginition harness

Hey Guys,

I'm putting an alarm in the car, and trying to figure out where on the car to tie into for the ignition kill.

The instructions say that 1 wire needs to go to an ignition wire that stays live while the car is starting.

And then I need to add this module relay inline, so I need to cut the wire that goes from the key to the starter.

I'm looking at my Camaro book, and also the DEI wiring for a 92 Camaro.

Does anyone know where there is a wire that is 12V when turning over?

Also where physically on the car is there wire from the key to started (and color)? According to the camaro book I think it's the pink wire, but it could also be a yellow wire. I see both wires coming off a harness on the steering column. But not sure if these are actually the wires I need?
Old 11-20-2011, 02:03 PM
Supreme Member

Received 44 Likes on 38 Posts
Car: '87 IROC
Engine: LB9
Transmission: TH700R4
Re: Installing Alarm, Iginition harness

Originally Posted by cdoyle
.....Does anyone know where there is a wire that is 12V when turning over?

Also where physically on the car is there wire from the key to started (and color)? According to the camaro book I think it's the pink wire, but it could also be a yellow wire. I see both wires coming off a harness on the steering column. But not sure if these are actually the wires I need?
There's a wire that feeds the starter solenoid when the key is in the start position.

You'll have to check your FSM for the schematic to determine the color code of this wire.
Old 11-20-2011, 03:18 PM
Supreme Member

is this the harness that goes to the key to the starter? According to the wiring diagram I have, there is a pink that goes to the key and a yellow. It looks like Yellow goes to the starting, and pink is for run. But I'm not sure. Does anyone know, and if these are the right harnesses? These come out of the bottom of the steering column.

I'm still trying to trace back a 'red' wire that is supposed to come from the starter. I don't see it anywhere, and still not sure if it's only 12V at start.
Attached Thumbnails Installing Alarm,  Iginition harness-harness.jpg  
Old 11-20-2011, 09:40 PM
Supreme Member

Anyone know which wire goes from Key to Starter? I think it's yellow, but not sure if I"m looking in the right place. Is the pic above the right area?

and also what wire to tap into for a 12V when cranking?
Old 11-23-2011, 01:50 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi mate!

i have installed my alarm yeasterday to, and im also looking for same answear as you , that is the only thing i have to run my alarm full , hope someone helps soon . cheers
Old 11-23-2011, 03:54 PM

is this the harness that goes to the key to the starter? According to the wiring diagram I have, there is a pink that goes to the key and a yellow. It looks like Yellow goes to the starting, and pink is for run. But I'm not sure. Does anyone know, and if these are the right harnesses? These come out of the bottom of the steering column.

I'm still trying to trace back a 'red' wire that is supposed to come from the starter. I don't see it anywhere, and still not sure if it's only 12V at start.
The pic you have above is the turn signal connector. The wires you are looking for are on top of the column just above where the turn signal connector was they will be large wires like 10 and 12 gauge. As far as needing a wire that is hot while the car is cranking you need the to look for a large pink wire that is hot while cranking, not the starter wire.

Last edited by Brads RS; 11-23-2011 at 03:58 PM.
Old 11-23-2011, 04:09 PM
Supreme Member

Received 44 Likes on 38 Posts
Car: '87 IROC
Engine: LB9
Transmission: TH700R4

http://austinthirdgen.org/mkportal/m..._continued.gif

Check the lower right side of the diagram. Hopefully this helps.
Old 11-23-2011, 05:31 PM
Supreme Member

Originally Posted by Brads RS
The pic you have above is the turn signal connector. The wires you are looking for are on top of the column just above where the turn signal connector was they will be large wires like 10 and 12 gauge. As far as needing a wire that is hot while the car is cranking you need the to look for a large pink wire that is hot while cranking, not the starter wire.
OK I think I found the wires you were talking about
I'm still not sure which one I want to cut and add the relay inline with. I think it's the yellow one, but I could be reading the diagram wrong.

Also I see a large pink wire in this bunch, do you think that would be a hot when cranking? I can't find where it connects too, to test with my meter.
Attached Thumbnails Installing Alarm,  Iginition harness-wires1.jpg  
Old 11-23-2011, 06:06 PM
Supreme Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Car: 91 Camaro RS
Engine: empty bay (for now)
Transmission: Built T-56
Axle/Gears: 3.42 stock posi disc

for 92 tbi

for 92 tpi

for 92 v6
Old 11-23-2011, 06:19 PM
Supreme Member

Originally Posted by travis401
Yes this is the same diagram I have, jsut not sure if I'm reading it right. I have the TPI

From the 'start' position of the key, it's the yellow wire that is between the key and the starter enable relay is the one I want to cut right?
Old 11-23-2011, 06:24 PM
Supreme Member

pink wire going into the start enable relay is the one carrying the 12v to the starter solenoid.

nvm its the dk green wire thats carying the 12. the pink wire it hot at all times
Old 11-23-2011, 06:27 PM
Supreme Member

the yellow wire will be hot while cranking, so if thats what the instructions say you need thats it.
Old 11-23-2011, 06:57 PM
Supreme Member

OK,

I think I almost have this, I have 2 things I need to do.

1. tap into a 12v while cranking
2. cut the wire going from key to starter, the relay goes inline at this point

So for #1, looks like I can tap into that yellow wire to get my 12v while cranking.

For #2, It sounds like it might be the pink wire? That goes between the key and the starter enable relay. It seems like my alarm kill relay would go in-between these 2.

Does that sound right?
Old 11-23-2011, 07:08 PM
Supreme Member

basically it sounds like the relay for the alarm does the same function as the start enable relay. but what youre saying sounds right. itll have the alarms relay before the start enambe relay. since your installing an aftermarket alarm id look into removing the VATS system (the start enable relay along with it). it requires having your ecm returned to delete VATS.
Old 11-23-2011, 07:27 PM
Supreme Member

Ya I'm going to disable the VATS later on, since I only have one key and don't want to spend money on a special chip key.

I remember when I had the other dash in the car, I was able to bypass the VATs. I seem to remember you just removed the relay and put a jumper wire across the leads. I'll have to look that up again.
Old 11-24-2011, 09:25 AM

Originally Posted by travis401
basically it sounds like the relay for the alarm does the same function as the start enable relay. but what youre saying sounds right. itll have the alarms relay before the start enambe relay. since your installing an aftermarket alarm id look into removing the VATS system (the start enable relay along with it). it requires having your ecm returned to delete VATS.
Hi mate
Take some pictures of the cables your using so it Will help us others to
Thx
Old 11-25-2011, 01:14 AM
Supreme Member

Received 26 Likes on 20 Posts
Car: 1987 TransAm Ttop
Engine: 2005 LQ4
Transmission: Ls1 T56
Axle/Gears: 3:42

From my memory and being a professional installer.The thick yellow wire is the starter wire(12v only during crank) and the thick pink wire is the ignition(12v at run and during crank).

I suggest put the relay on the Yellow wire and cut it in half.This will act as a starter kill relay and prevent the motor from being cranked in the event of someone breaking into your car and trying to hot wire the car.Secondly..if you have a good amount of wire....extend the wires and hide the relay somewhere only you can find it.Putting this easy access defeats the purpose when a pro comes along and just simply jumps the wires back together lol! Third...use another relay and do the same thing for the pink wire if you are feeling brave,this acts as a ignition kill ontop of having the starter kill relay.And this way if the car is broken into..the ignition..nor the starter can turn on.

I have done this to my own car and any others for people who had their cars stolen.Ive also done ecu ignition kill and fuel pump kill for a customer who had is car stolen 3 times lol.Its funny to think of someone getting in there..the car cranks..everything on the dash is on but motor never starts because the computer is 100%off.

For good measure..when you are done wiring everything.Tape all the wires from the alarm all the way up to your connections so that is looks like factory wiring and is cleaner

Last edited by 86White_T/A305; 11-25-2011 at 01:18 AM.
Old 11-25-2011, 06:27 AM
Supreme Member

all good ideas.
Old 11-26-2011, 05:18 PM
Supreme Member

Originally Posted by 86White_T/A305
From my memory and being a professional installer.The thick yellow wire is the starter wire(12v only during crank) and the thick pink wire is the ignition(12v at run and during crank).

I suggest put the relay on the Yellow wire and cut it in half.This will act as a starter kill relay and prevent the motor from being cranked in the event of someone breaking into your car and trying to hot wire the car.Secondly..if you have a good amount of wire....extend the wires and hide the relay somewhere only you can find it.Putting this easy access defeats the purpose when a pro comes along and just simply jumps the wires back together lol! Third...use another relay and do the same thing for the pink wire if you are feeling brave,this acts as a ignition kill ontop of having the starter kill relay.And this way if the car is broken into..the ignition..nor the starter can turn on.

I have done this to my own car and any others for people who had their cars stolen.Ive also done ecu ignition kill and fuel pump kill for a customer who had is car stolen 3 times lol.Its funny to think of someone getting in there..the car cranks..everything on the dash is on but motor never starts because the computer is 100%off.

For good measure..when you are done wiring everything.Tape all the wires from the alarm all the way up to your connections so that is looks like factory wiring and is cleaner
86White_T/A had a question for you.
I'm installing an old Alpine SEC 8058 alarm, I think I have everything all hooked up right. Everything seems to work, except for the auto locking when you start the car. It's supposed to lock the doors 30 seconds after starting, but it doesn't seem to be doing that.

I did noticed, that when you turn the key to start the car. It will unlock the door right as you turn the key. But it never locks them again.

I checked in the manual, and that autolock feature is controlled by a dipswitch, I checked the dipswitch and it's turned to on.

Any ideas on what to check?