Electronics Need help wiring something up? Thinking of adding an electrical component to your car? Need help troubleshooting that wiring glitch?

Steering column wiring from scratch, need a little help

Search this Thread

Old 03-28-2012, 07:22 PM
Supreme Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Car: 1996 Camaro, 1985 Camaro
Engine: 3.8, 3.4
Transmission: WC T5, 700r4
Axle/Gears: 3.23(?), 3.42
Steering column wiring from scratch, need a little help

The jist of it is I am building a street legal race car, which unfortunately for me means I have to still have working lights, horn and wipers.

So far I have determined that the wiper connector is the one on the bottom of the column, and that the white wire is the power feed of that circuit.

The turn signal connector seems to be the skinny flat single plane one on the right bottom side of the column, the light blue and dark blue are for the front turn signals, the green and yellow are for the rear, and purple provides power coming off the turn signal flasher but what are the black, yellow, light green and grayish brown wires on it for? Edit: is there a brown wire on this connector coming from the hazard flasher to feed the hazard switch/circuit??

There are two connectors on the brake switch, only one of them is on the brake circuit wiring schematic, and its the blue, and orange wire one. The other is pink/black, and purple, am I correct that this other one is a cruise control provision?

The large 2 connectors on right side of column, really not sure what most of these wires are, I know that the two red ones are power, one is ignition, the other is for the headlight switch, but does it run through the column and out at another connector, because it doesn't appear to be spliced off. Also, I believe the other heavy gauge wires, (pink and orange most notably) are powering things when the ignition comes on, but I have the same question, is the juice coming or going on them, it seems as though it would be switching the orange ones on with ign pwr, to feed the park lights and horn relay???

The headlights I am kind of lost on, the connector on the left side seems to be the headlights, it has 2 tan wires, a yellow one, and a light green one, the lt grn, and one of the tan wires are output from the steering column to power the headlights as I understand it, and the yellow one appears to be receiving 12v power off of the headlight switch, so near as I can tell I can just wire the yellow wire to a switched 12v, that will go through the high beam stalk which then outputs on the lt grn and tan wire? And what is the other tan wire for if so, one has a connector on it, the other doesn't, or at least not as close to the column connector.

The connector on the side of the body down in the leg area(for the rear harness) I think I have fully sorted,: yellow and dk grn are turn signal, brown is the parking lights, and the splice on the inbound side of it runs off to the firewall connector to power up the front parking lights? reverse is light grn, brake is lt blu, and the inbound pink, and white wires, outputting as pink, and brown respectively are for the fuel pump and or sending unit? Also, I think I saw a black wire running back there on a separate connector, ground for fuel pump and sending unit, or a seat belt detecting circuit I think?

Would greatly appreciate if anyone can help me sort this mess out.