Electronics Need help wiring something up? Thinking of adding an electrical component to your car? Need help troubleshooting that wiring glitch?

Negative battery cable grounding wire location on car?

Search this Thread

Old 03-05-2019, 01:26 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Car: 1990 Formula Firebird
Engine: 2.8 L V6
Transmission: Automatic
Negative battery cable grounding wire location on car?

Good evening ya’ll,

After much searching locally for “just the right Firebird”, I picked up a beautifully cared for 1987 2.8L V6 Firebird with less than 58,000 miles on it. It is entirely stock - from the floor mats to the cassette deck, and according to the former owner (who was religious about it’s condition) it has only been driven 12,000 miles in the past 10 years.

Now, we bought it yesterday afternoon and drove it 150 miles home without issue. We stopped for gas, had shut it down briefly for a quick bath, and it started both times no problem. We were told the battery (manufactured in 2013) was weak and should be replaced asap. I bought a new battery this morning, and was going to take her to the shop for an oil change and inspection, but she wouldnt start. I assumed the battery was the issue, and changed it out. Same problem, the dash lights up, but no crank. Now, I did notice the negative battery cable has an additional green ground wire, and it should be connected somewhere?? The ground wire on this car terminated in a broken and corroded ring or spade type terminal. My question is, Where is this ground cable to be connected? I have googled and youtubed the question, and searched the Forum, but can’t find an answer. Would it make sense that this missing ground connection is the problem? Where can I reconnect it?

...I am trickle charging the new battery (2 amps) overnight, just in case. According to it’s manufacturing decal, it was made in November 2018 and was just “on the shelf” at the local auto parts store.

PS: If you can take a picture of where this grounding wire connects, it would be much appreciated!

Ray

Last edited by Rayk; 03-05-2019 at 01:34 AM. Reason: additional request
Old 03-05-2019, 06:26 AM

Car: 1992 Camaro Z28
Engine: 350ci
Re: Negative battery cable grounding wire location on car?

If the wiring is the same as for the tuned port engines, that wire just connects to the body of the car right by the battery.
Old 03-05-2019, 07:53 AM

Received 482 Likes on 233 Posts
Car: 1989 Firebird GTA
Engine: Motown Aluminum 427
Transmission: TH400/GVO
Axle/Gears: Dana 44 IRS 3.75:1

If you're getting power to the dash then you have a grounded system, I would start by making sure you have good intact cables and that the contacts at both ends of BOTH cables are properly cleaned and making good contact at their connections. The green wire is redundant.
Old 03-05-2019, 06:46 PM

Thanks TPeye and 427seven!

I charged the new battery last night, installed it today after cleaning the mating electrical surfaces and applying a thin layer of dielectric grease, and then crimp-connected a new eyelet to the (redundant) ground wire and bolted it to the metal frame of the car body - and she's running again, no hesitation to start!

Ray
Old 03-05-2019, 07:39 PM

Your welcome, battery only works if the cables are good. Looks like you're new, is this your second f bird? I see a 90 formy listed under your name... Canadian eh? I was born in Myrnam
Old 03-05-2019, 08:05 PM

It is my first actually - I created the profile intending fully to buy the ‘90 the next day. I had plenty of converations with it’s owner and drove four hours north to the middle of nowhere and down several miles of gravel to buy it. He had demanded cash (understandable) and I agreed to pay the full asking price if the car was as advertized. He assured me it was and I wouldnt be disappointed. He lied, and I was.

It looked great in pics; you couldn’t see peeling paint or rusted rockers. He advertised it as a 130,000 km car. It had 249,830 km on the odometer. Door and window and T top gaskets were rotted out. The low profile tires it had been adulterated with were almost thread bare. The aftermarket sound system he advertized so predominantly in his ad “never did work”; neither did the aftermarket security system (which he never played with because he was worried he’d shut down the car and never get it to start again). The electrical gremlins extended to the high beams. Once turned on they could only be turned off by reaching into the broken plastic shrouding the steering column and jiggling the wires and the steering wheel.
The engine, however, was as advertized.

I politely walked away. On the plus side, it was a scenic drive. The wife and I saw no less than six moose crossing the highway during the last hour (not all together).

We had also been looking at this car (the ‘87 2.8L), because it looked so mint. The wife really wanted T-Tops, so do I - but I couldnt pass this car by. She really has been kept up immaculately.

Growing up, this was the car the cool kids had. I was never a cool kid; but I loved their cars. I have always bought “practical” vehicles, making my decisions based on black book prices and available finances. This car wasnt bought for those reasons... it is a connection to simpler times. Better times. I look forward to learning more about it; and taking her out on some adventures!

....I will change my profile info tomorrow, and include pics of this car in my avatar.

Last edited by Rayk; 03-05-2019 at 08:18 PM.
Old 03-05-2019, 09:44 PM

Sounds like such a relaxed story, have to post some pics so we can watch the evolution.... Lots of good parts available in Alberta, or not. Maybe just enjoy it like it is, sounds like a good clean car.