Engine Swap Everything about swapping an engine into your Third Gen.....be it V6, V8, LTX/LSX, crate engine, etc. Pictures, questions, answers, and work logs.

need help on which motor is good for my iroc-z

Search this Thread

Old 06-03-2003, 04:34 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Car: 87 iroc-z ba boom!
Engine: V8 305 ( dont be fooled) =]
Transmission: TH-700R4 beefed up
need help on which motor is good for my iroc-z

Hi....I have an 87 iroc-z,305 tpi, th-700r4,slip posi 3.23 gears. i have certain mods right now but nothin big. the camaro has msd ignition setup, smaller pulleys, modified mass air flow sensor with air foil, tpi specialties 52 mm throttle body, eddlebrock combination siamese runners and intake, hedman headers 1/5/8 inch, 3" flowmaster single catback system with high flow performance catalyic converter, new fuel lines and performance holley fuel pump, tpi fuel ajustable fuel pressure regulator, modified air induction system that was taken off of this website that i did(works great by the way!), a hyper tech chip/thermomaster and hyper tech thermostate.
FRONT SUSPENSION i have all new polyurathane bushings, new end links, idler arms, tie rods inner and outer, all ball joints, center linkage all brand name from eddlebrock, performance sway bar, and performance tower brace from hothckins, kyb strusts and springs, REAR SUSPENSION panhard rod and swaybar, and sub frame connectors, polyurathane bushings and end links, kyb shocks and springs, REAR now has 3:73 gears, new gear oil and slip lube, and new delux installation kit for the gears from bearings to shims and all that good stuff, all disc brakes,TRANSMISSION has a slightly modified valve body that i did from B&M transpak and new B&M mega console shifter and the trans was rebuilt already with slightly modified performance parts but its still has a stall converter and B&M super cooler only at 2000 rpm and it also has a no shift down blues kit from B&M in the valve body. yes i should do a little more to the trans but not now cause its rebuilt already and im sure you guys would agree not to touch it till it is used up enough oh and i forgot to the control arms are new as well in the back, and the car is stiff as a board!
THE FUN PART! PLEASE HELP ME ON AN ENGINE!
1)GM 350CI/330HP 350H.O. CRATE ENGINE
2)350CI/357HP VORTEC TPI CRATE ENGINE-SCOGGIN-DICKEY
3)GM 350 ZZ4
now is there any other brand name engine that might be cheaper for some good horsepower? and yes i know if i mate to a 350 engine i have to get bigger fuel injectors and change the chip as well and my ecm box can hold either a 305 chip or 350 chip.
how much will i pay and for labor of course and what would my horsepower be with the mods i have already or you think it would be and what can or might do on the 1/4 mile times?

im a serious person about this as you can see from the message and i love my iroc-z and plan on keepin it for a long time oh and i would like to show you guys some pics of the custom stuff i did to the car but for some reason the image is to big and how would i be able to send it in a smaller size. thanks alot and all opinions and facts i will greatly consider! oh one more thing will all these parts i have mate to a 350 crate engine and i do plan on keepin the TPI SETUP! need serious answers:hail: :hail: :hail: :hail: :hail:
Old 06-03-2003, 06:17 PM

Received 35 Likes on 34 Posts
Car: 82 Berlinetta/57 Bel Air
Engine: LS1/LQ4
Transmission: 4L60E/4L80E
Axle/Gears: 12B-3.73/9"-3.89
If you insist on going with the Vortec-headed 350 HO, you might as well get the TPI version from SDPC. It ain't gonna be cheap, but you appear to love your car enough to be able to justify spending too much money on it (like most of us).

Hopefully, all your emissions visual inspection involves is a check for a cat. If they open the hood and get nit-picky, you're in trouble if they are smart enough to recognize Vortec heads (note the SDPC disclaimer about the TPI Vortec base not being emissions-certified).

The '87 TPI system wasn't the best effort when it comes to performance upgrades. It'll get expensive, and the best results would be obtained by converting it over to a speed density system - getting your own PROM-burning equipment while you're at it. Might as well jump into the water with both feet.
Old 06-03-2003, 11:05 PM
Supreme Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Car: 92 Camaro RS
Engine: 350 Crate Motor
Transmission: Tremec TKO
Axle/Gears: 10 Bolt 3.73
I bought this one and have been very happy with it.
http://www.goautocenter.com/300hp_tpi_1987-89.htm

-Rich-
Old 06-04-2003, 11:27 AM

Car: 88 IROC
Engine: 350 TPI
Transmission: Pro 5.0 shifted T56
Axle/Gears: 10 bolt 3.73 posi
well you have 2 options......

1. spend more money, buy a crate motor, get decent horsepower

2. spend less money, build your own motor, get INSANE horsepower!!!

personally, id prefer to build my own. now from the mods youve described, im guessing youre a pretty decent mechanic. ive built several motors before, but my 350 swap into my iroc was my first venture into chevy power. its pretty straight forward. plus when someone admires your car and asks "who put this in for you" you get to say "me!". good luck
Old 06-04-2003, 05:08 PM

i might go with the 300hp engine www.autocenter.com

well i do want to get a power engine but i was only lookin for a 300hp or close to and$1,995 sounds nice but im just wondering if it is true 300 horsepower but i do have some nice add ons for the engine which i told you guys about. im thinkin of goin with what RICH said. but if i can scrap up some more money and get the sdpc engine, that would be nice. now putting it in myself well thats not in my league but some things are with the little mechanic knowledge basicly learned things on my own. if i do have someone put it in for me how much do you think this is gonna run me including the engine?

oh and one more thing how can i send the pic of my car? i tried once before or twice but it says the size is to large...how do i down size the file or pic? thanks again guys!!!:hail: :hail: :hail:
Old 06-04-2003, 05:16 PM

forgot something else

what would i need to get the car to high 13 secs in the 1/4 mile? and would the engine that im thinkin of gettin that rich suggested be good enough with the add ons or do i have to go there (NOS) i read about it and the stuff that came from this website about nitrous so im a little knowledgeable of it and the setup that i can get is not that bad to do it myself but the timing adjusting thing well thats another story and no i wont be using it all the time. im not big on racing... yeh i do like to show off the car and yes i will take it to the track to at least see what it does. if nos is out of the question for me....hey im all ears!!!!! thanks guys!:hail: :hail:
Old 06-05-2003, 08:46 AM
Supreme Member

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
Car: 1992 Formula Firebird
Engine: 305CID (LB9)
Transmission: World Class T5
Axle/Gears: 10-bolt, 4.10 gears
I would say do the swap yourself. Take good photos of everything. Then using sandwhich bags and masking tape, bag and label any small parts and bolts by group. This way when you go and put it back together it will be alot easier. You can get an engine lift fairly cheap as I understand it. You can even rent one if needed.

I asked a shop one time and they said around $700.1500 depending on how complex the job got.
Old 06-05-2003, 12:02 PM

Car: 88 IROC
Engine: 350 TPI
Transmission: Pro 5.0 shifted T56
Axle/Gears: 10 bolt 3.73 posi
i absolutly agree with 87WS6. buy your own lift, do it yourself. i got my lift new for 150, rental for 3 days was like 120. it shouldnt take more than a few hours at the most to drop in your engine. my advice to you, pull the engine and tranny together, and then swap the tranny to your new motor before you drop it back in. trust me, you do not want to try to get to the top bolts on the bell housing when its still in the car. other than that, its easy. took me and my dad 2hrs to put in my 350. thats 2 hours from picking the motor off the stand, to having it turning over in the car. its not worth $1000+ to haver it installed. plus i wouldnt trust any "mechanic" with a job like that. most will try to screw you over.

just as an example- my dad used to race MGs back in the day (little british sports cars). one time he took his MG in to the shop to be painted and left on a 3wk buisness trip. came back to pick up the car and when he opened the hood there was a stock motor under there. (the $3500+ race motor that he built was gone) apparently they saw the motor, took it out and sold it thinking a dumb air force guy wouldnt know the difference
to this day they still swear it was the same motor.