Complete 383 forged engine kit suggestions - Third Generation F-Body Message Boards

Go Back  Third Generation F-Body Message Boards > Tech Boards > Engine Swap
Reload this Page >

Complete 383 forged engine kit suggestions

Engine Swap Everything about swapping an engine into your Third Gen.....be it V6, V8, LTX/LSX, crate engine, etc. Pictures, questions, answers, and work logs.

Old 12-15-2018, 11:21 AM

Car: 92 Camaro RS
Engine: 305 TBI
Transmission: T-5

I'm looking for a complete engine kit to replace my tired 305 TBI, I want a kit that includes a blueprinted block and good forged crank and all other matching parts that I can assemble myself + good Vortec type aluminum heads, there are so many places to buy stuff from these days I don't know the current best, any suggestions? Looking to spend 4 to 6K on a block and heads. I will also be replacing the stock T-5 transmission, any suggestions on a good new 5 or 6 speed to survive behind a 383?
Old 12-15-2018, 04:34 PM
Supreme Member

Car: 1991 Z28 Vert
Engine: 383 single plane efi
Transmission: T-56
Axle/Gears: waiting to break
Re: Complete 383 forged engine kit suggestions

It depends what you are going to be doing with the vehicle. If you are only going to drive it on public roads then I wouldn't spend the money on forged parts and any name-brand component kit will be fine. If you'll be going to a drag strip numerous times per year or participating in illegal street racing then it is my opinion that if you are going to stay with the SBC in today's world of LS swaps easily making 400 wheep hp than you need to follow the mantra of "Go big or go home." I would be looking for 427 SBC. 500 wheel horsepower from a streetable 427 isn't a hefty goal and will keep almost any NA LS swap at bay and should still keep up with single turbos. Look into the eBay vendors that sell all the components as a kit that you build. I wouldn't pay to have a block machined, instead I'd look for one already done that a shop is trying to sell. If that doesn't pan out here is a good deal from Summit: https://www.summitracing.com/parts/sum-150100-30

As far as transmissions go, T56 trannys are great if you can find one at a good price. People are switching to LS so the price and availability seem to be leveling out again. Otherwise a TKO 500 or 600 is a good bet.
Old 12-15-2018, 06:35 PM

Thanks, but didn't really answer the ? Looking for a complete forged kit from a reliable source, not looking for LS stuff, and it's just for street use and the occasional drag strip use, I'm old school and just want to build and assemble a REAL SBC and forged is worth the premium over cast even if it's not needed. So I guess the real question should be what engine building company's are trustworthy and do good work and wont overcharge?
Old 12-15-2018, 07:25 PM
Supreme Member

Car: 1991 Z28 Vert
Engine: 383 single plane efi
Transmission: T-56
Axle/Gears: waiting to break

Originally Posted by DartByU View Post
just want to build and assemble a REAL SBC .... what engine building company's are trustworthy and do good work and wont overcharge?
Are you wanting to build the engine yourself or are you wanting someone else to build the engine for you?
I pointed you in a general direction for kits ande linked to a block, are you just wanting a member to find exactly what you are looking for and post the link up?
Old 12-15-2018, 09:20 PM
Supreme Member

Car: 89 Iroc-z
Engine: Twin Turbo 401
Transmission: TH400
Axle/Gears: 4th gen 12 bolt 3.42

Find a local machine shop that has a good reputation. Chances are they can get you parts for less than some retail stores
then have them do the balancing machining and checking of parts and your block
Old 12-15-2018, 09:56 PM

Car: 1989 Iroc
Engine: 383 TPI
Transmission: TKO600
Axle/Gears: 3.27

I'm running a TKO600 behind my 383, but I think the T56 is by FAR the most common. Out of the box it's strong, but can be made bullet proof.
I'm running a locally machined block with a forged Scat kit. ...but forged is definitely not necessary. I bought it from a good buddy of mine that at one time, had BIG power/turbo aspirations. Then ultimately went LS.

I looked into building it all from scratch, and I don't know of an all in one kit with everything. Ideally since you HAVE to have machine work done anyway, I'd discuss it with the machine shop of your choice, and source parts from them, or at least their recommendations.
Old 01-01-2019, 12:26 PM

Car: 84 Z28
Engine: 383 Stroker
Transmission: 700R4
Axle/Gears: 3.73

X2 on find a good machinist. But please dont build the motor being a novice, have a problem, and blame it on the machinist.

I recommend scat, or Molnar. Molnar is way better than scat and you will pay more however I dont believe molnar offers a kit. Regardless you will have to have it balanced even if it says it comes balanced.

You need to find out what you want, and buy accordingly. Or buy a complete engine that is built. Building a engine requires a lot of knowledge and special tools. Vtg, ptv, ptw, spring pressures, installed heights, ability to measure bearing clearances and I'm not talking plasti gauge, ring gaps, are just a few things that need to be checked when building a engine regardless if it's a complete kit or not. Never heard of a engine kit that says all you need to do is assemble.
Old 01-13-2019, 03:54 PM

Originally Posted by -=Z28=- View Post
X2 on find a good machinist. But please dont build the motor being a novice, have a problem, and blame it on the machinist.
That's what I can't do around here, I'm a Machinist myself but my shop doesn't do automotive type work, last time I built a engine I had the "best shop" around here bore a block, balance it, choose pistons to get me 9.5 to 1 CR, and when I took all the parts back to the shop where I work I discovered after I put the pistons in that they were sitting .235 down in the bore at TDC, netting a whopping 6.5 to 1 CR, needless to say I had to take it back apart and have them re-balance it with proper pistons. Anyway I think I'm just going to buy a GM ZZ350 short block, take it all apart and check for proper clearance and torque specs, put in a good roller cam and some AFR heads on it and call it a day.
Old 01-13-2019, 09:09 PM
Supreme Member

Car: 86 Sport Coupe

I've been shopping around for a 383 shortblock myself although I'm inclined to have something delivered complete and ready to go rather than the hassle of checking all of the clearances and then trucking the rotating assembly and block to a machine shop for the final fitments. There are aftermarket options out there but you have to decide what level of parts you want to consider.
GM's HT383 has a 4340 forged crank but PM rods and hypereutectic pistons. I figure I can make that work for the drag racing goals I have however road racing is a different matter. Your ZZ350 I think has the same rods and piston type as this 383.
Beyond that there are a couple of mail order choices.
Blueprint (all forged): https://blueprintengines.com/product...tblock-bp38319
ATK (nodular iron crank): https://www.high-performance-engines...ine-p/sp52.htm
There are lot of other outfits that will build and ship whatever you want too. Shipping is a killer though.
Old 01-13-2019, 10:26 PM
Supreme Member

Just checked. Yes. Same PM rods and piston in the ZZ350 as in the HT383. Crank in the 350 is 1053 steel as compared to the 4340 in the 383.
I'm liking the HT383 over the ZZ350 at this point.
Old 01-14-2019, 12:21 PM

Car: 1987 IROC-Z

Old 01-14-2019, 01:50 PM
Supreme Member

Originally Posted by IROCZman15 View Post
Thanks for that link. There are some interesting shortblocks for sure.
I think Competition Products has a decent selection too. At one time Howards had a deal on an all forged 383 but its since been discontinued.