Engine Swap Everything about swapping an engine into your Third Gen.....be it V6, V8, LTX/LSX, crate engine, etc. Pictures, questions, answers, and work logs.

1992 Firebird Project Help

Search this Thread

Old 04-29-2019, 04:15 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
1992 Firebird Project Help

Good Evening All,
I am unsure if I want to build a custom engine for my 92 Firebird. I want to produce over 600 but I am not opposed to going higher. For a custom built one, I do not know where to start looking for a good platform to start from. I want to ensure that all components work together flawlessly. I have mechanical knowledge and enjoy working with my hands so if I can I will do the work myself. I plan on replacing many other parts in the vehicle(transmission, differential) to work well with the new engine. I am willing to take any advice into consideration I have the time and plan on keeping this 92 for quite some time so I plan on spending a good chunk of money to get it where I want it.
Where do I start my engine building process?

Last edited by Morey00; 04-29-2019 at 05:25 PM.
Old 04-29-2019, 05:17 PM
Supreme Member

Received 1,052 Likes on 748 Posts
Re: 1992 Firebird Project Help

You don't know where to start, but 600+hp is what you have in mind? Yowza.

Might want to look around for thirdgens running over 600hp, and look at what it took them to get there. Seems your goal might be a bit arbitrary and lofty if you don't already have an idea how to get there.
Old 04-29-2019, 05:24 PM

Sorry about the confusion. I have some idea of how to get there because I have worked on "upgrading" an 89 Camaro with the engine that is factory. But I haven't built an engine from the block up and I was wondering what a good platform to start at would be. A big block or a small block or how big I can go.
Old 04-29-2019, 06:14 PM
Supreme Member

Received 1,052 Likes on 748 Posts

Well, look into making a big block fit. It can be done but you have to be careful because things like the wiper motor can interfere with the valve covers, etc. Look at what building a big block costs. It was about 200% of what a smallblock costs when I last looked well over a decade ago. 600 with an oldschool smallblock is going to be pushing it if you want street manners and aren't planning to get there with a power adder. Junkyard LS with a poweradder is probably the cheapest way to get there, but staying there won't be cheap. You can go as big as you can afford, question is do you still intend to drive it on the street. Do you need wipers? heat? AC? Good gas mileage? Comfort? You've gotta trade something for the extra power, a mountain of cash, creature comforts, street manners, etc.
Old 04-29-2019, 06:43 PM
Supreme Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I own a small indy shop and have done high HP builds, from much smaller displacement motors, even. Drew hit the nail on the improval head....

More than stating your HP, goal, how about your skill set and budget? They usually dictate what you can do with a car. 600hp is going to cost you about 5x that in equipment if you go quality route, and about 2-3x that on a grassroots budget with a high skill set.

Sure, you can scour the junkyard and find an Eaton m90, over-clock it and do single digits in the 1/4 mile, might cost you less than 2 grand, but eat up hundreds/thousands of hours of your time. If you want to do it N/A, then be prepared to throw a few stacks at the car (just in engine mods), then you have to worry about the "wet noodle" status of a thirdgen, and strengthen the unibody with connectors, TQ arm, panhards, etc to put the power on the pavement.
Old 04-30-2019, 11:49 AM

I have taken some classes on auto performance and have shop experience. Budget wise I am willing to put in quality parts and make it a worthwhile build. My intentions were not to put cheap parts in. That is why I have come here to learn the best way to go about the project. I stated the horsepower off the bat only because I was told that you need to have a goal in mind power wise before starting a build, if that is wrong I do apologize.

I have time to do this and want to do it right. I do not want to make it N/A, I do know that I will need subframe connectors to strengthen the vehicle.
Old 04-30-2019, 01:39 PM
Supporter/Moderator

Received 375 Likes on 288 Posts
Car: '90 RS
Engine: 377 LSX
Transmission: Magnum T56

Originally Posted by Morey00
I have taken some classes on auto performance and have shop experience. Budget wise I am willing to put in quality parts and make it a worthwhile build. My intentions were not to put cheap parts in. That is why I have come here to learn the best way to go about the project. I stated the horsepower off the bat only because I was told that you need to have a goal in mind power wise before starting a build, if that is wrong I do apologize.

I have time to do this and want to do it right. I do not want to make it N/A, I do know that I will need subframe connectors to strengthen the vehicle.
There is nothing wrong with your goal, thats how we all start. Your best, and cheapest, means to help you get started is to read and read and read. Read this site to understand what these cars need to support that power level. Meaning, brakes, suspension, chassis, etc etc. Then read every build thread on LS1tech to see what guys are making with the builds they put together.

More importantly set a budget. Willing to spend is fine, so long as you can wait years and years to get it done. Based on your interest in 3rd gens we can assume you are not a millionaire, with ten's of thousands of disposable dollars. Costs get out of hand quickly. Your average "500hp" LS crate motor will cost you $7k to $9k. That's not even including the previously mentioned upgrades that your car will need to support it. Building it yourself is also fine, but you don't save any money on the first build due to all the specialty tools you will be buying. You'll save money on your second engine. Don't be afraid to make smaller steps first and get a solid running foundation with either a base SBC or 5.3 LS. A running and driving 320hp motor is far more fun than a theoretical 600hp that might take you 10 years to build. Ask me how I know.
Old 04-30-2019, 06:54 PM
Supreme Member

Received 298 Likes on 234 Posts
Car: 92 Firebird
Engine: 4.8 LR4
Transmission: T56
Axle/Gears: 3.45 9 Bolt

Originally Posted by ShiftyCapone
Your best, and cheapest, means to help you get started is to read and read and read.
Best advice there is. And once you're done reading, read some more