Engine Swap Everything about swapping an engine into your Third Gen.....be it V6, V8, LTX/LSX, crate engine, etc. Pictures, questions, answers, and work logs.

Ls 5.3 or 350?

Search this Thread

Old 04-03-2024, 03:41 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Ls 5.3 or 350?

Hello, I’m new to the forum so please forgive me if my quick search didn’t reveal the answers I was looking for.

I recently picked up a 1982 z28 (originally a 305sbc) roller that’s in pretty decent shape. It currently has (from what I can tell) factory harness for 305, driveshaft, rear end and all suspension components. Since I will be needing essentially everything engine and transmission related I’m trying to decide if I want to do a Ls 5.3 with 4l60e or a 350 with a t5. I can get a running (drop in ready) 5.3/4l60e for $1,000 near where I’m at. Most 350’s and t5’s would put me over $2,500. So my question is, I know the power is worth the swap and the LS’s are extremely capable of reaching 450hp for relatively cheap. I don’t know which option is more cost effective when it comes to actually getting it running and doing so reliably.

I’d love any help as I’m new to 3rd gen camaro’s​​​​​​​
​​​​​​​

Old 04-03-2024, 05:24 PM

Received 109 Likes on 84 Posts
Car: 82 TA
Engine: Zz430 clone
Transmission: Magnum f
Axle/Gears: Ford 9 w 4.11
Re: Ls 5.3 or 350?

A good running ls/auto combo for 1k is a good deal. Does it have all the engine controls w it? If you have all that it's a good deal. You'll still need motor mounts/exhaust etc. That's all easy stuff to source. It looks like it was a crossfire car (I think). If so you'll need to remove/swap the fuel pump in the tank. I'm not into autos and the potential for the ls/auto combo sounds better. Either way it will be the same amount of work. If you do the 350/t5 combo you'll need to deal w the clutch linkage/hydraulics. The 82/3 cars had mechanical clutch's. Everything after had hydraulic that are much better. I have an 82 that was an auto I put a 350 and t56 into. If you make it a manual car it will need support at the fire wall, no a big deal though.
it really depends what you want trans wise. The t5 aren't the strongest but I had one behind a 350 for years. Ls engines have more potential but 450 hp 350 it pretty easy also. It really comes down to what you want, and engine/trans swap is a bit of work either way but support for both swaps is plentiful.

its a t top car- subframe connectors will help a lot

think about brakes and suspension also!
Old 04-03-2024, 05:38 PM

Originally Posted by Firechicken82
A good running ls/auto combo for 1k is a good deal. Does it have all the engine controls w it? If you have all that it's a good deal. You'll still need motor mounts/exhaust etc. That's all easy stuff to source. It looks like it was a crossfire car (I think). If so you'll need to remove/swap the fuel pump in the tank. I'm not into autos and the potential for the ls/auto combo sounds better. Either way it will be the same amount of work. If you do the 350/t5 combo you'll need to deal w the clutch linkage/hydraulics. The 82/3 cars had mechanical clutch's. Everything after had hydraulic that are much better. I have an 82 that was an auto I put a 350 and t56 into. If you make it a manual car it will need support at the fire wall, no a big deal though.
it really depends what you want trans wise. The t5 aren't the strongest but I had one behind a 350 for years. Ls engines have more potential but 450 hp 350 it pretty easy also. It really comes down to what you want, and engine/trans swap is a bit of work either way but support for both swaps is plentiful.

its a t top car- subframe connectors will help a lot

think about brakes and suspension also!
Yeah I can get a 5.3ls with wiring harness, ECU and fuse box for $1,000. A local shop sells them as a unit out of running vehicles that are being scrapped. I’d probably just do new bearings and seals for a while and then eventually heads/cam. My only concern would be getting power windows, gauges, etc to work. And yes, this was/is a crossfire car
Old 04-03-2024, 06:41 PM
Supreme Member

Received 57 Likes on 52 Posts
Car: '82 z28
Engine: L83 5.7
Transmission: 700r4-1985
Axle/Gears: 3.42 posi

Even with the missing parts,easier and cheaper to slap in an SBC,get it working properly,then work on the car itself-lots of work needed there(and lots of potential too,if not a rust bucket underneath)
Old 04-03-2024, 06:49 PM

You won't use the old ecm. None of the accessories less the fuel pump need it. I'd make a new fuel pump relay harness and have it switched on by the LS ecm. Don't use any of the crossfire pump parts/wires. The stock sending units for the gauges all go direct to the dash and have nothing to done the ecm. So water/oil/fuel/volts/tach all will work. You will need to adapt the stock sending units to the LS engine. Some people reuse stock fuel sending units to work w aftermarket pumps. I used an Aeromotive stealth tank/pump combo. You'll need new fuel lines. Your current return i think is too narrow for a LS. I ran new 6 a line for send and return, It's what Aeromotive recommended for their system. Basically your ecm harness comes in the car on the passenger side near the kick panel. All of that goes to your ECM. I pulled it all and used the keyed on power for the old ecm for the new one. All the gauges/tach come from the harness (c100) by the power brake booster. So basically it's two separate harnesses you just need to dissect them a little. The tach signal will come from the LS ecm. Your trans sender/speedo will need an adaptor box to drive the mechanical speedo. The other option is swap gauges, there are a few companies that make them for Camaros. They're all electronic and easy to install.

it shouldn't be to bad a swap.
Old 04-03-2024, 07:11 PM

Originally Posted by 8t2 z-chev
Even with the missing parts,easier and cheaper to slap in an SBC,get it working properly,then work on the car itself-lots of work needed there(and lots of potential too,if not a rust bucket underneath)

thankfully not a rust bucket! There’s some surface rust yes, but the shock towers, wheel wells and what I can see underneath seem to be pretty good. It’s been a southern car its whole life.
Old 04-03-2024, 07:14 PM

You won't use the old ecm. None of the accessories less the fuel pump need it. I'd make a new fuel pump relay harness and have it switched on by the LS ecm. Don't use any of the crossfire pump parts/wires. The stock sending units for the gauges all go direct to the dash and have nothing to done the ecm. So water/oil/fuel/volts/tach all will work. You will need to adapt the stock sending units to the LS engine. Some people reuse stock fuel sending units to work w aftermarket pumps. I used an Aeromotive stealth tank/pump combo. You'll need new fuel lines. Your current return i think is too narrow for a LS. I ran new 6 a line for send and return, It's what Aeromotive recommended for their system. Basically your ecm harness comes in the car on the passenger side near the kick panel. All of that goes to your ECM. I pulled it all and used the keyed on power for the old ecm for the new one. All the gauges/tach come from the harness (c100) by the power brake booster. So basically it's two separate harnesses you just need to dissect them a little. The tach signal will come from the LS ecm. Your trans sender/speedo will need an adaptor box to drive the mechanical speedo. The other option is swap gauges, there are a few companies that make them for Camaros. They're all electronic and easy to install.

it shouldn't be to bad a swap.
all good information!! Thank you! What companies do the digital gauges? I only saw a few bolt in applications on rockauto that work in the factory dash.
Old 04-03-2024, 07:27 PM

Intellitronix and Dakota digital make drop in units.

classic dash also does them w autometer gauges. That's what I did. The other options are less expensive and less work. I have a trans am so my options are limited. I had to make harnesses and wire everything directly into the dash harness. The intelllitronix and Dakota digital (I think) use the factory harness and clip in.

Old 04-04-2024, 10:22 AM

classic dash also does them w autometer gauges. That's what I did. The other options are less expensive and less work. I have a trans am so my options are limited. I had to make harnesses and wire everything directly into the dash harness. The intelllitronix and Dakota digital (I think) use the factory harness and clip in.

that looks really good! And congratulations on having a dash that isn’t cracked. I need to find one
Old 04-04-2024, 12:26 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Car: 1985 Trans Am/WS6
Engine: 5.0 TPI
Transmission: Auto
Axle/Gears: 3.27

What kind of steering wheel is that?
Old 04-04-2024, 09:05 PM

Thanks, the car has been garaged since 96. It only sees sun when it's driven. Thats how the dash is still intact. The material is actually still a little flexible when you push on it!

it's a VSW steering wheel. They make all sorts of replacement wheels w many different types of horn button logos. There were numerous different bird options/camaro/chevy options etc. you can also mix and match horn button style/wheel style etc. And the price was reasonable!

Last edited by Firechicken82; 04-04-2024 at 09:09 PM.
Old 04-05-2024, 12:05 PM

it's a VSW steering wheel. They make all sorts of replacement wheels w many different types of horn button logos. There were numerous different bird options/camaro/chevy options etc. you can also mix and match horn button style/wheel style etc. And the price was reasonable!
Looks great! Has a bit of a "dish" to it compared to stock. Any issues with that?
Old 04-05-2024, 12:19 PM

The adaptor to mount it is shorter than stock so it only is moved 1 inch closer to the driver.
Old 04-05-2024, 12:54 PM

Just one more question, did you use the VSW adapter?
Thanks
Old 04-05-2024, 01:56 PM

No, I had one already. They fit a standard 6 bolt pattern.