European Region For all of our Third Gen brothers and sisters across the pond!

Help Please in Hertfordhire..TPI Probs

Search this Thread

Old 09-03-2008, 04:11 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Help Please in Hertfordhire..TPI Probs

Hi I have a 350 tpi 5.7 sd setup in my Astro Van.

I have replaced ECM, Memcal, Loom, Injectors, IAC, CTS, Coil, Leads, Plugs, Pickup coil, Ignition Module, Dizzy, rotor arm, O2 sensor, Battery, starter, Map, Fuel Regulator, Cleaned Throttle body, New Airfilter, Radiator, Oil..etc etc.

But still have the same problem were it will start okay and run fine for about 30 seconds then it will start to backfire and smoke alot..untill it dies.

I need somebody tocome out to me and fix this problem as the van will not drive...

Please Help im at wits end...

Thank you

Paul
Old 09-04-2008, 03:10 PM
RMK

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Car: 87 IROC
Engine: modded LB9
Transmission: Pro Built 700R4
Re: Help Please in Hertfordhire..TPI Probs

I'm no where near you otherwise I would have a look at it for you.

Is it a back fire or afterfire? What is your TPS set to and have you had the timing altered at all? Do you have a scan tool?
Old 09-04-2008, 03:28 PM

Thanks for the reply...Im not sure about the backfire its just a loud pop every now and then..Today i tryed it again it is not struggling to stay running.
I cleared my codes and re checked them i had a 15 and a 21...I have already changed the CTS but i ordeed another today just incase also a new MAT sensor for piece of mind..
the TPS i have set up as normal i forget what amount now...As today i spotted the 21 code which is new i tried reseting ecm and unplugged tps it then showed a 22 i checked the ground onit which was fine i think this test points to a faulty tps....Would this cause my problems?
Paul
Old 09-04-2008, 03:59 PM
RMK

Could do. Try disconnecting the TPS and see how it runs. I had a faulty MAF and by dusconnecting it I forced the ECU to use pre programmed parameters. The same may be the case for TPS I suspect.

Did it ever run right and has just started to have issues?
Old 09-04-2008, 04:10 PM

I did unplug the tpstoday it then showed a 22 code but ran no different...
The van wasnot used for years i drove it back from london to Bedfordshire no problems then once back at my workshop when taking it in and out a few times i started to notice it used to stall for no reson mainly onceit got warm..
From this point i have just kept changing things with no luck...
The distributor was removed to be replaced i was carefull to put it back in the same but it may have been a tooth out so i checked the timing manually by pointin HB mark to 6 btdc and was then carefull to aline rotor with plug one. But were ever you may rotate the dizzy the problem is still there.
Old 09-10-2008, 12:23 PM
RMK

Has the issue been resolved?
Old 09-10-2008, 03:38 PM

Hi no its still poorly...
I had error 15 and 21 so i have just fitted another cts and mat...and have ordered a tps from states should be here soon...
I will update if this fixes things....

Thanks for your interest its appreciatedi need all the help i can get..

Paul
Old 09-10-2008, 03:58 PM
RMK

Just out of interest, were the replacment injectors new or secondhand and have you tried doing an ohm test just to be 100% sure. Throwing money at parts is an expensive wy to find the fault....although I have been there beofre myself.
Old 09-11-2008, 03:46 PM

I put brand new injectors in i have not read the impedance on these i did on the old ones...Trust me i did not want to spend money on new parts but what can you do at least its all nice and shinny...
Old 09-14-2008, 04:52 PM

Car: 91 camaro rs
Engine: 350
Transmission: T5

Hi Paul.
Spotted you over at astrosafari!!

We need to go back to basics here. Can you read live data? If you can, I need to know what the injector durations are before and after it goes bad.

What colour is the smoke? Can you smell fuel?

Can you put a vacuum gauge into the servo line and let me know what it does when it runs good and bad?

Just thinking out loud here, before any test results are in. Engine standing....lifters sticking, exhaust partially blocked, bad fuel, poor fuel pressure.....

Andy.
Old 09-15-2008, 04:39 PM

Hi Sadly i dont have the equipment to read the ecu...
The smoke is soot black you can smell fuel but not alot...

I hopefully have the guys from eurovets looking at readingecu on wed if this dam tps turns up...I will let you know..

Thanks for your help

Paul
Old 09-16-2008, 03:27 PM

Car: 91 camaro rs
Engine: 350
Transmission: T5

Hi paul.
I sympathise with your case. There are literally thousands of DIY and even real mechanics who are baffled by the electronics on modern cars. saying that, the TPi is not modern, so should create little or no problems for anyone half decent.
I know this is a little too late, but fault codes dont necessarily point to the faulty component. In fact, in a recent UK survey, it only happened less than 10% of the time. So, getting an 02 sensor code is only an indication, and there is a 90% chance that it isn't that.

These engines are designed to give out the data when requested via scan tools. Parts swapping is a futile and very expensive game-as you have found out.

If your TPS and ecu check doesn't create a cure, we need to get down to simple things. Compressions need to be checked, and even a leakdown test to check the integrity of the engine. The exhaust system must not even be partially blocked. The injector power wire can be scoped with a current probe to determine if any injectors are at fault.

Please let me know what the TPS results are, and we can take it from there.

Good luck.
Andy.
Old 09-21-2008, 03:19 PM

Hi okay i did replace the tps and cts yet i still have a code 15 and 21?

I had a friend at eurovettes plug in his laptop at the same time i was setting the tps he noticed the laptop reading around double the voltage than i had on a snap on mutlimeter...i tried a second meter and i had correct readings of 0.54 and over 4v on WOT...
We then noticed with no engine running and us not touching te engine the cts voltage was rising and the tps voltage was going up and down all by itself, yet on the actual tps the voltage was stable.

We also noticed the input voltage on the laptop was showing 24volt and only 12v on the mutimeter on the orange power inout to the ecu...

I have checked grounds and they are fine.

So ordered another used ecu from the states hope its okay...

If any body here in england has a ecu that is in 100% working order that i can borrow or buy please let me know...