European Region For all of our Third Gen brothers and sisters across the pond!

Speedometer

Old 12-08-2013, 01:11 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Car: 92 camaro 25th anniversary
Engine: 5.0
Transmission: Automatic
Speedometer

Another stupid question, but I am going to ask anyway !.

Can anyone tell me if the speedo needle on my 92 RS resets to zero when the ignition is on?.

My speedo works fine, but does not move the mileage. The small motor that turns over the mileage is very rusty and the circuit board linked to it is badly corroded and covered in dry joints.

I have purchased a second hand clock and circuit board from eBay, but it has a considerably higher mileage on it than my car.

I have stripped my old one down and it is very easy to remove the bank of plastic dials that indicate the mileage, only thing is the speedo needle that I ( wrongly ) assumed was " keyed" onto the shaft that turns it. It has no definite position and can be replaced in any position and does not return to a " park " point. I know it normally rests on a small peg, but you need to remove the Needle and fascia ,plus peg, to get at the screws to access the dials. I know I can make a note of where it was when I remove it, but can't guarantee the shaft stays Put.

Cheers, Karl.

Last edited by KarlBurgess; 12-09-2013 at 03:49 PM.
Old 12-11-2013, 02:41 PM

Car: '92 RS Camaro
Engine: 406ci D1SC SBC
Transmission: TH400
Axle/Gears: 9" W/Truetrac
Re: Speedometer

Hi Karl,
Mine is a 92 RS, ill check tomorrow and let ya know

Cheers
Neil
Old 12-15-2013, 04:48 PM

Car: 92 camaro 25th anniversary
Engine: 5.0
Transmission: Automatic
Re: Speedometer

If anyone is going to remove their speedometer, I would recommend not removing the needle unless it is against the stop.

It is possible to remove the mileage dials without removing the needle, just needs a bit of care.

I refitted my speedo and placed the needle against the rest stop peg, turned on the ignition and the needle moves to a horizontal position between the peg and start of the gauge. I turned off the ignition several times, each time returning the needle by hand to the peg, and every time it moves to the same horizontal position, and altho I have only moved the car up and down the drive, it appears to be fine.

The main reason for removing the speedo was to replace the mileage dial motor and circuit board, this has been successful , but also several of the " idiot lights" did not work. I have cured this by cleaning the contacts on the back of the dash, they locate into a fixed male plug mounted in the dash housing and were badly corroded.

I would say to anyone who is experiencing dash light problems to spray some contact cleaner onto these contacts, I also cleaned mine with a fibreglass pen from maplins, they are easy to access and fairly basic in construction. Basic is good from a maintenance point of view, but leads itself to corrosion.

Karl.

Last edited by KarlBurgess; 12-15-2013 at 04:51 PM.