Exhaust Post your questions and suggestions about stock or aftermarket exhaust setups. Third Gen exhaust sound files and videos!

What do you think about this exhaust?

Search this Thread

Old 12-14-2000, 12:19 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
What do you think about this exhaust?

For my 91 RS 305 TBI bone stock (unfortunatly). I wanted to make it a true dual exhaust. I was think about trying to use two 3' or a little smaller pipes, where the single pipe runs. Place two glass packs where the cat was and two where the muffler is. And just hide the exhaust altogether. How do you think this will sound and will it have any gain for horsepower. Or maybe just run one 3' pipe with two glasspacks. Let me know what you think.

'''''''''''''''
91 RS
305 TBI
700R4
bone stock
give me so ideas for cheap mods.

Old 12-18-2000, 09:36 AM
Supreme Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Car: 1991 Pontiac Firebird
Engine: 3.8
Transmission: 700r4
Axle/Gears: Dana 60
I have a question. why are u using glasspacks?

------------------
Eric Natzke
91 Firebird 305 TBI

ASCD Ram Air Hood-3" custom exaust-Flowmaster 80 Series-No Cat-Edelbrock TES Headers (coated)-March Pulleys-TBI Spacer-K&N Open ELement-TransGo Shift Kit-B&M Supercooler 28,000 GVW-Hypertech Thermomaster-160 Stat-3:42 GM Gears-Auburn Posi Unit-Edlebrock Strut Tower Brace-MSD Superconducters-MSD Cap & Rotor-MSD Blaster Coil-Rapidfire Plugs-265/50/R15 Tires-Emmison's all Gone
http://members.aol.com/j007golden/91firebird.html
For info on certain parts or mods go to the site below
http://members.aol.com/j007golden/modeval.html
Old 01-01-2001, 03:48 PM

Car: 1986 Camaro
Engine: 305 TPI
Transmission: 700R4
Axle/Gears: 4.10
Are you from a small hick town??? Glasspacks sound horrible. Just do it right the first time and buy a flowmaster cat back do it right the first time instead of jimmy rigging everything, it'll save you headaches later trust me.

------------------
1988 GTA:
Crane Cam, K&N,
Flowmaster, Off Road Pipe.
Old 01-02-2001, 12:38 PM

If you were to hook up a true dual 3" exhaust system to those stock manifolds on of all things, an LO3, you will lose any torque you previously had. 3" single cat-back tops, I'd say, best bet is flowmaster Delta Flow with dual tips and maybe gut your cat if you're feelin' froggy and have already passed inspection till ya get the $ for a Random Tech cat. Glasspacks-hell no!

------------------
Dan Young
1995 Z28/M6
Groton, CT

1985 Z28/A4
(Prospective purchase)
Old 01-03-2001, 11:33 AM

I've already run that except i used Turbo mufflers insted of glasspacks. The pipe exits behind/below the doors. It sounds great and gave me some good increases in power.

------------------
Love you Camaro, love your wife/girlfriend, BUT ALWAYS PUT GOD FIRST!!!

1991 LO3 305 RS Camaro w/Headman headers and custom dual exaust.
Old 01-03-2001, 12:00 PM

What are your mods though, cuz technically, you shouldn't have seen much of a gain, except perhaps on the top end. Your torque should have went way down, no backpressure and larger tubes. There's always exceptions to the rules, but you sure you don't have a lumpy cam?

------------------
Dan Young
1995 Z28/M6
Groton, CT

1985 Z28/A4
(Prospective purchase)
Old 01-05-2001, 05:55 AM

Meangreen,

Please don't trot out the old wives tale about needing backpressure to build torque. Backpressure is an impediment to flow, caused by a restriction in the exhaust system, which in turn hinders the engine's breathing ability(this is true of backpressure, regardless of the rpm at which it occurs). Therefore any restriction you can remove, will help to decrease backpressure, aid the engine's breathing and help produce more power(owing to incresed cylinder filling efficiency).

Scavenging(produced by a negative pressure pulse) is critical in filling the cylinder. However, very little scavenging effect is created in the exhaust system after the exhaust collector. And certainly this is true of any part of the exhaust system following the catalytic converter.

So by shortening the pipes and/or increasing the pipe diameter of the "catback" you are reducing a restriction that causes backpressure.
Old 01-05-2001, 09:07 AM

Not to argue, 88IROCs, but hell, if that's the case, then explain why if you were to take that theory, put the stock exhaust manifolds on a dyno and then put full tube headers on it, you would see literally no gain whatsoever in torque, but a horsepower increase in the upper RPM range. It isn't so much a matter of backpressure, it's a matter of too much of a good thing. Just like my 1 3/4" headers wouldn't do jack on a basically stock 305 vice a stock LT1. Big difference here, kinda like the introduction of nitrous vice without. True, the stock setup is restrictive, but if you're gonna direct someone to better their exhaust, it's only gonna flow as well as the cylinder heads regardless, so what the hell would he need a 3" dual setup on a 200 (possibly) horse 305? He will see no gain, unless he's got a clogged cat, bent stock exhaust, or he's simply got a freak for a car. Perhaps 1 5/8" headers, 2 3/4" or 3" y-pipe, new cat or gut the old, 2 3/4" or 3" cat back will give him all the flow that engine will ever need. Anything bigger is a waste.

------------------
Dan Young
1995 Z28/M6
Groton, CT

1985 Z28/A4
(Prospective purchase)
Old 01-05-2001, 10:17 AM

i 3rd the glass pack remarks.......or is it 4th? either way they sound like **** and would never own a 3rd gen with one or a set

------------------
1989 pontiac firebird
bright red exterior(just repainted)
grey interior
5 spd
305 TBI (stock)
WS.6 formula wheels
3.73 posi rear end
http://members.aol.com/j007golden/Mikey89.html
-------------------------
1985 trans am
factory bright yellow
4 wheel disks
16 inch wheels
305 TPI
power antenna and mirrors
t tops
Old 01-05-2001, 12:47 PM

Originally posted by MEANGREEN:
Not to argue, 88IROCs, but hell, if that's the case, then explain why if you were to take that theory, put the stock exhaust manifolds on a dyno and then put full tube headers on it, you would see literally no gain whatsoever in torque, but a horsepower increase in the upper RPM range.
Well to start-off with we were talking about cat-back systems, so to argue the relative merits of headers vs stock manifolds is a whole new subject. Now if you are arguing that putting headers on an engine with a stock cat and catback system, I would tend to agree with you partly. The stock cat and catback would create enough backpressure to negate any gains made by the headers and might actually cause a loss. And that would tend to be the case at especially at higher rpm's where the stock pieces would pose more restriction to exhaust gas flow(where the increased gas pressure would cause more backpressure for the same amount of restriction). This is the reasoning for upgrading the cat and catback system before upgrading from manifolds to headers. Hopefully you are not arguing that: with a higher flowing cat and catback system, headers would make no difference in low rpm torque?

It isn't so much a matter of backpressure, it's a matter of too much of a good thing.

It is totally a matter of backpressure, and when it comes to removing backpressure, there is never "too much of a good thing". Backpressure is an impediment to exhaust gas flow, and will never improve output regardless of the rpm at which it occurs. Unfortunately, production based vehicles are required to have catalytic converters and mufflers, ensuring that you will never completely eliminate backpressure(and remain street-legal).

Just like my 1 3/4" headers wouldn't do jack on a basically stock 305 vice a stock LT1. Big difference here, kinda like the introduction of nitrous vice without.

So are you now trying to tell us that you put 1 3/4" headers on your LT1, yet left the stock(restrictive) cat and catback system intact, and claim you felt "big difference"? If that is not the case, what is your point?

True, the stock setup is restrictive, but if you're gonna direct someone to better their exhaust, it's only gonna flow as well as the cylinder heads regardless, so what the hell would he need a 3" dual setup on a 200 (possibly) horse 305?

Ah, so now you want to change the subject back to catbacks? Even though the 305 heads are known for their lacklustre flow characteristics, the stock thirdgen exhaust system poses more of a restriction to exhaust flow. Reducing the amount of restriction in the after header exhaust has a compounding effect. As less of the exhaust gases energy is lost to overcoming restrictions(and back pressure), the higher the velocity these gases will leave collector area with. This in turn helps create a stronger scavenging signal, which in turn aids in the removal of burnt combustion product from the cylinder, which means there is more room for the incoming intake charge. Improved scavenging also helps to draw(pull) the intake charge into the cylinder. Using the old analogy that an internal combustion engine is nothing more than a complicated air pump, anything you do to improve intake flow will improve output.

I would tend to agree that a dual 3" setup would be overkill on any motor displacing less than 600 cid. A 350 can breathe just fine on dual 2 1/4's, and a 305 needs even less. However you argued that dual 3" pipes would reduce torque, citing "no backpressure" and "larger pipes" as the cause. This is simply not accurate, as removing backpressure will increase torque.

He will see no gain, unless he's got a clogged cat, bent stock exhaust, or he's simply got a freak for a car.

If you have abnormal restrictions(clogged cat or bent pipes), anything you do to reduce or remove those restrictions will improve exhaust gas flow. And even if he has only the "normal" restrictions, anything he does to reduce or remove those restrictions will improve exhaust gas flow. What exactly is your point?

Perhaps 1 5/8" headers, 2 3/4" or 3" y-pipe, new cat or gut the old, 2 3/4" or 3" cat back will give him all the flow that engine will ever need. Anything bigger is a waste.

It would be a waste in terms of diminishing returns - you would spend more money and effort for increasingly smaller gains in exhaust flow. Once you have eliminated the exhaust system as the major source of flow restriction, you would be better off putting effort in to removing other, more offensive, sources of flow restriction.

[/B]
Old 01-05-2001, 03:02 PM

To keep this short, it's more like this:

He ain't gonna see much of a gain, period.
This is getting to be not worth the time to explain, especially since you're not really listening.
I didn't put headers on a stock cat-back, simply didn't list what I did. I also didn't talk about cam profile or ported heads, that, as far as my point, was irrelavant. Fact, when a ***** does the cat-back mod, how much of an increase do you think that guy's gonna see on a 130 horse Civic? I'd be willing to bet 2-3 horsepower, and depending on WHAT catback, maybe a few lb/ft of TQ.

On a 305 Camaro, TBI (bone stock), just how much horse do you think this guy's gonna get or has with this setup? Telling him to expect a gain of anything more than a slight difference is kinda going out on a limb here. This is not an internal mod or a seriously choked high-horsepower motor we're talkin' here, unless I read incorrectly. If he tops 5-7 horse regardless what he puts behind that cat in the form of torque, I'd be surprised. That ain't to say it won't, but it would be a surprise. I've worked on 5 of these myself, and fixing to get #6, which will be an LG4 305. I'll do some damn testing, if nothing else, to show you what I mean. Like you said, 3" dual exhaust is overkill on a 305, so is duals period, when the stock design is on it for a reason more than just emissions, it was designed to work well, which is why it was continued in the 4th gens.

------------------
Dan Young
1995 Z28/M6
Groton, CT

1985 Z28/A4
(Prospective purchase)
Old 01-05-2001, 09:01 PM

Car: 1990 Formula
Engine: treefitty
Transmission: stick
Veeery interesting stuff. I mean that.
I have a 90-305 TPI w/5 speed.From what I understand the 90-92 305s with stick came w/up-graded cams. That being said, I bought my car w/stock dual cat set up going into a 3" Flowmaster cat back.
My questions are:
1.Was it a waste for the guy to put that up?
2.Whould I benefit from 1 5/8 headers, keeping the stock dual cat set-up?
Thanks in advance.

------------------

90 Formula-WS6-TPI-305/5 speed. Slightly worked.
Old 01-05-2001, 10:12 PM

Car: 96 Formula/82 T/A
Engine: LT1/350 TPI
Transmission: T56/TH350
91' Camaro Man, i love your sig.
"Love you Camaro, love your wife/girlfriend, BUT ALWAYS PUT GOD FIRST!!!"

------------------
RED82TA5.7L
this car has a bad tranny untill middle of January 2001(im crying inside) soon to be 350 Raptor TH350 from http://www.transmissioncenter.net
1982 Pontiac Trans Am
Cross-Fire Injected 5.7l V8
Eldebrock Headers, 3" Hooker Cat-Back, duel outlet with quad tips.
Mods: 1.6 Proform Roller Rockers, electric fan, Corvette 5.7L computer chip, K&Ns.
Audio: JVC Kameleon CD deck, Jenson 4x6 front, Eclipes 6x9 rear, 2 10" mTx T4000 powered by a mTx 200watt amp.
Black Powder Coated 1990 16x8 Formula Wheels with 245/50/ZR16 Perelli P7000.
For Pictures go to
http://members.theglobe.com/RED82TA57L/mycar/
Old 01-06-2001, 12:24 AM
Supreme Member

Car: 92 RS - Fully Restored w/Custom Int
Engine: LO3 with some mods
Transmission: T-5
Axle/Gears: 3.42 Richmond
Lets walk this dog a bit.....

I read some interesting opinions/beliefs/facts concerning the effects of headers on a 305. Since I've just had mine installed I can say what many here would agree with.

The engine certainly felt more powerful (HP gain)
The engine certainly felt like it pulled softer (TQ loss)

I also read a book written by Mr Lingenfelter where it stated the gains between 5/8" and 3/4" headers only become evident at very high RPM's (+5k I think), but no difference at lower RPM's or otherwise the SAME output.

Now for my questions:

If decreasing backpressure does not decrease torque then why did I lose "pull" after installing the headers?

If creating a more positive scavenger pulse with the headers increases input flow which in theory should increase output power, what terms is that power applied? (I know the HP increase is there, but again what about the torque?)

If there are no differences in output power between 5/8" and 3/4" headers at low RPM's (remember....backpressure does not decrease torque, but an increase in exhaust flow leads to more power)then why NOT choose 3/4" headers over 5/8" headers for a 305?

Maybe I'm way off base here, but I would really like to hear some answers to these questions.

------------------
92 Camaro RS LO3, 5-spd, T-tops
Performance:
SLP 1 3/4" Headers (Coated by Paul Barry Motorsports), Flowmaster Catback Exhaust, Fastchip Performance PROM, Centerforce Dual Friction Clutch, Xact 8mm wires, Open Air Element w/K&N Filter, Z28 Grille w/aftmkt fog lamps
Electronics:
Alpine 8030 Alarm System, Valentine One Radar Detector (How did I ever drive without one?), Pioneer DEH 7450 Head Unit w/6-pack CD changer, Pioneer DEQ 7600 Sound Processor, 2 Kenwood KAC-846 Amps powering 2 12" Pro Red subs, 2 Pioneer 6x9 and 2 MTX 4x6 speakers.
NEXT UP: TBI mods, Edelbrock performer intake
Old 01-06-2001, 06:32 PM

hey man, check your RPO codes and look for G92 if yo uhave that, that lill 305 is within 20 hp/ft#S of the 350. its a nice 305. i believe the cam is the same cam thats in the 350. now to answere your question (please everyone, correct me if i am wrong) the guy in car craft with a 91 camaro with the same setup yo uhave (305 5/spd) put the hooker headers w/hooker's y-pipe and random tech cats (i asume some kind of 3 inch cat back) and it took almost a second of 1/4 times. (that car now has a supercharged 383 pushing 500HP/600ft/lbs or something like that)
from what i have heard these cars respond well to the headerkits for them. i am in the running to pick one upmyself when the weather gets warmer.

-Stell

Originally posted by PONTIMANIAC 90:
Veeery interesting stuff. I mean that.
I have a 90-305 TPI w/5 speed.From what I understand the 90-92 305s with stick came w/up-graded cams. That being said, I bought my car w/stock dual cat set up going into a 3" Flowmaster cat back.
My questions are:
1.Was it a waste for the guy to put that up?
2.Whould I benefit from 1 5/8 headers, keeping the stock dual cat set-up?
Thanks in advance.

------------------
1988 IROC 305TPI MINT!!
Mods= Accell SuperCoil, MSD 6A, Ported Plenum, No MAF Screans , K & N, 160 Thermostat+ Temp Switch, Relocated MAT, Cold Air
Old 01-06-2001, 08:50 PM

Car: '95Z28/'94 Trans Am/'85Z28
Engine: LT4/LT1/350
Transmission: T56/4L60/700R4
(aka MEANGREEN)

My posts really weren't meant to **** anyone off, just to make/argue a point.

I believe people's beliefs and myths of horsepower and torque are thrown around too much and expectations way high on what some of these modifications actually do to a car. It isn't nitrous, a blower, or a big lumpy cam, or ported heads. Yet, you'd think that with the expected gain people are expecting, no wonder a lot of folks are pissed off when they see/feel their actual gains. I too, expected the world the first time I bolted on a set of headers, instead, felt more sluggish off the line, and because it's down the road, didn't really notice much at the top end, other than it didn't "creep" getting up there in RPM's. We could argue all day, and frankly, it isn't helping these guys out much, so I'm done with this one. I would honestly like to try the true dual setup just to try it, especially if it does work as stated, but for a first exhaust or change for someone, this could be very misleading, and costly on a car that needs smog, unlike Holland's. Who knows, maybe it's the wave of the future, but I know that there's a reason for some of this mythical "backpressure" or everyone would have open headers every Friday night. To answer the dual cat question, you'll see most aftermarket exhaust companies not even mess with the dual cat y-pipes, cuz they flowed just fine, not necessarily a better design, but their stock flow may have been. It's the exhaust manifolds and cat-back that you can improve a little on, not A LOT on a stock car, but some... Good luck guys, and hopefully, no harm done...

------------------
Dan Young
1995 Z28/M6
Groton, CT

1984 Z28/A4 - Prospective purchase
Old 01-07-2001, 02:02 PM

In the case of horesepower gain, you can't really expenct anything real dramatic from any one modification. You have to think of it as a whole system.

------------------
If it breaks, it wasn't good enough anyway.