Exhaust Post your questions and suggestions about stock or aftermarket exhaust setups. Third Gen exhaust sound files and videos!

friend installed flowmaster 40 series into 92 v6 camaro(giggle)

Search this Thread

Old 03-29-2001, 05:52 PM
Supreme Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
friend installed flowmaster 40 series into 92 v6 camaro(giggle)

My friend finally got the flowmaster muffler(singel 3inch inlet and single 3 inch outlet,Pipes inlet and exit are in the middle). Anyway after they installed it, the car sounds so gay. Could it be cause the stock converter has about 130,000 miles on it, or that theres this V cut in his 2 1/2 inch pipe which is covered up by a metal can and straps,or cause he installed the 2 1/2 inch outlet pipe. If u put your ear next to the pipe while its idling it sound deep but when u rev it, it sounds gay. One more thing while your driving the car, it sounds as if i have a stock muffler. What the hell is the deal, i thought the 40 series was gonna make it loud. Dont bother telling me "bro its a v6 what do u expect" hes just doing this for the mean time. What could be wrong.
Old 03-29-2001, 06:55 PM

thats why I;ve been telling everyone to get a dynomax super turbo with a v6. I had a magnaflow(basically a flowmaster) and it had that gay sound to it, but the super turbo sounds real good.
Old 03-29-2001, 09:40 PM
Supreme Member

really what part # is it what size how many outlets does it have and what size are each pipes. Oh yeah how much is it.

------------------
92' camaro
New 305 block TPI conversion, Flat top pistons,Bore over .30 Forged parts all around,Edelbrock intake,ported plennum,ported corvette alluminum heads, accel cam,52mm throttle bodie, SLP runners Home aid cold air induction, Air foil,ford SVO 19lb injectors,fuel regulator,cloys timing chain, comp alluminum roller rocker arms and pushrods MSD 8.5 mm wires, bosch plattinum plugs, hypertech cap & rotor and coil, Edelbrock TES headers, free flowing catalytic converter and a 3 inch force II flowmaster exhaust system, and a 3 inch cutout,Zoom multi friction clutch, T-5 tranny,billenstien shocks&struts.
Soon to come!!!
Procharger system 12lbs o boost.
New paint job(hawaiin orchid purple)Cast alluminum ZR1 rims w/ 275 tires.
Favorite quote: "where ever u go, there u are"

Other car;
1971 plymouth Duster
Mods:340,edelbrock victor jr. intake, 650 4 barrel holley, heddman headers,40 series dual flowmasters, cold air intake,4:10 gears, just got a new paint job and cragar rims with 315 tires in the back.
:Yeah its not a chevy but damn how many 71' dusters have u seen in the streets.
Old 03-29-2001, 10:39 PM

I;m not sure the part numbers but its a 2 1/2 inch muffler with one intlet and 2 outlets. One end of the muffler has an inlet and an oulet, both the inlet and outlet are off center, the other side has an outlet off center. I also have headers 2 1/2 inch i-pipe and an intake to help out the sound.
I called summit and bought it for $50-60.
Old 03-29-2001, 10:41 PM
Supreme Member

how and where did u get headers for the 3.1
Old 03-29-2001, 11:19 PM

I had to get some Pacesetter 3.4 headers for 93-95 camaros, heat them with a torch and bend them with a pipe, test fit rebend as nessecary. Then when its all over with (thank god!) you get the pleasure of driving open headered to the exhaust shop to get a y-pipe made.
Old 03-30-2001, 03:44 AM
Tas
Supreme Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
there was a guy in high school that put a flowmaster on a 3.4L firebird, sounded like crap. A new Z28 LT1 with open Borla didn't help matters because you could hear the great differance in the 2.

the 3.1 sounds gay because 3" is too big for it. Its not pushing enough air. Makes it sound even more hollow than flowmasters usualy do.

------------------
-Tas
'89 Formula WS-6
[soon to have Hooker 1-5/8" 50 state legal headers installed]

305, TBI, auto, 14x3 chrome flat based open element with K&N, Milodon 160* thermo, functional Formula hood, cross-flow Flowmaster, '99z28 rear pipes and tips....

Super GRK_Taz World
EFI & Intake Options
AOL IM: superGRtaz
Old 03-30-2001, 11:58 AM

I have a friend with a 3.4 Firebird, and he's had a bunch of different exhausts on it. He had a flowmaster with stock cat and dual tips, same flowmaster with no cat, straight pipes all the way back, glasspack with no cat, and then he just put on a high flow cat with the flowmaster and dual outs.

I think it sounded pretty good for a V6 with no cat and a flowmaster with dual tips. It sounded real mean at idle, most people couldn't tell it was a V6. But when he revs it up, you can definetly tell. People just have to understand that V6's are never gonna have the same awesome sound of a V8. It's just not gonna happen.

But, the closest I've heard is the 4.3 V6. That one doesn't sound too bad with flowmasters, headers, and duals all the way out...

-Joel Likness

------------------
- 84 Z28 In Progress
Road Racer
- 85 S10 350/350
Drag Racer
- 85 Nissan 200SX (yes, it's Japanese)
Circle Track Car
- 91 Lumina 3.1 Euro
Daily Driver
Old 03-30-2001, 01:38 PM

it sounds gay because it is a V-6!!!!!
Old 03-30-2001, 01:50 PM
Supreme Member

Location: First one out of liberty city, burn it to the ground
Well...a great example why v6 people dont like posting questions.
Old 03-30-2001, 11:05 PM

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by dallasiroc:
it sounds gay because it is a V-6!!!!!</font>

most thirdgens sound pretty damn gay. Single exhaust sucks.
Old 03-31-2001, 08:25 AM
Supreme Member

yeah i know but its just for the mean time.
Old 03-31-2001, 10:15 PM
Administrator

Car: Red 87 IROC-Z28 T-Top
Engine: 5.7 Tuned Port Injection
Transmission: 700R4 Auto
Axle/Gears: BW 9-Bolt 3.27
I've heard Third Gens that sound better than cars with dual exhaust. It is a good design.

------------------
Looking For:

87 IROC-Z28 350 TPI
The car I want.

84 TRANS AM 305 H.O.
Another car that would be OK to own while I still look for the IROC-Z!!
Old 04-02-2001, 10:51 PM
Banned

I have read posts of people bashing the 6ers and 3rd gens for their 2-1 then splt out muffler...You have to realize that the technology that came over the 78-82 era has said that while open dual exhaust reduces back pressure it also burns up valves and valve seals.
So a certain amount of back pressure is needed. the 2-1 with the slpit out muffler lets you control this back pressure very well... There are exhaust systems that allow you to reduce this to very low and some that allow you to keep it similiar to stock but get better flow.
Before you 8ers come back in here and start bashing the 6er's, you need to know what is going on. There are 2-1 exhaust systems that will flow alot better then true dual exhaust systems.
Old 04-03-2001, 10:59 PM
Supreme Member

Received 70 Likes on 61 Posts
Car: 240sx
Engine: whatever works
Transmission: 4l80e this year
Axle/Gears: 3.512
ok 1 thing to remember if sound is what your looking for then its invlovled in stoping restrictions. after all, sound is what? waves going thru the air right? now imagine your sound is coming from your exaust manifolds, leading down to what? a Y-pipe? ok so now theres some distortion because its bouncing between itself and the other side, but now comes the cat... WHOA! have you ever see the inside of one of those things?? totally filled with pin-sized holes of ceramic crap and wiry metal stuff that TOTALLY muffles sound waves and makes them all crappy and crap... enough said? but no wait, theres more... by the time it gets to that awsome 40 series muffler what does it have to work with? a bunch of twisted half-abused muffled sound waves? the 40-series is designed to flow and with a few triangle shaped (its funny how flowmaster does it) angles that bounce the sound around (and the exuast) to make a distinctive sound, no matter what it started with, although starting with less than half a sound wave and molding it takes up even MORE sound... ok NOW enough said? unrestrictive is the way to go, for sound and horsepower. and by the way, I dont beleive that valve burning non-sense. say what you will, but I've run tons of open exaust and never had a burnt valve LOL ok ever hear of cutouts? no burnt valves there... how about all the people here running a gutted cat to a flowmaster cat-back?? count me in, 100,000 miles and no "burnt valves" ask any real GM tech about it. I'm pretty sure I know what he'll say. Dont get me wrong, I'm not tech and I dont know near as much as i ought to, but what I do know is from experience, and from others experience. take it or leave it.
Old 04-06-2001, 01:12 AM

the flows take about a week to sound decent then they rock!! and also if your engine is "out of tune" or using small diameter pipe they'll sound like you breathing through a small straw!! give it a week or so!! its going to sound a tad different because your missing 2 cylinders but, if its tuned and strong it'll come around in about a week!!

------------------
89 firebird formula

356 10.5:1compression
comp cams xe262 cam
performer rpm intake
#1405 edlebrock 600
sportsman 2 heads 64cc 2.02/1.60 valves 200cc intake runner
msd 6al
h.e.i. proform 50,000 volt vac. advance ditributor
700r-4 with 3.08 first gear and 3.23 posi 7 5/8 rear end.
b trans shift kit(will kill shifts...suck dong!!)
shorty heddman hedders with custom 3" pipe y-pipe back(no damn cat!) with 40 series flowmaster!

future mods: 406 roller REALLY REALLY REALLY RADICAL!!!!!
Old 04-06-2001, 12:22 PM

hey kingtalon i couldn't agree with you more, go to the "what the hell is that" post and tell the ignorant folks there that. i've been tellin em but they must think i'm some dumb young kid(which i am) and don't believe me. THE ONLY WAY TO BURN EXHAUST VALVES IS TO RUN REALLY LEAN AND GET COMBUSTION TEMPS UP TOO HIGH. WHEN YOU RUN THAT LEAN I WOULD THINK THE PLUG WOULD GO BEFORE THE VALVE ANYWAY. PLEASE SUPPORT ME OVER THERE!!

------------------
86 IROCZ
T-Tops
700R4
305 TPI
3.23 gears
shift kit, manual TC switch, manual fan switch, flowmaster exhaust with edelbrock TES headers& hollow cat, gutted MAF.
Old 04-06-2001, 08:22 PM
Tas
Supreme Member

ya dual exaust really stuck compared to single thats why the Vette is dual exaust, the Mustang GT is dual, the Mustang Cobra is dual, all exotic sports cars are dual. The ONLY reason for a single exaust system is to save space and cost of materials.

------------------
-Tas
'89 Formula WS-6
[soon to have Hooker 1-5/8" 50 state legal headers installed]

305, TBI, auto, 14x3 chrome flat based open element with K&N, Milodon 160* thermo, functional Formula hood, cross-flow Flowmaster, '99z28 rear pipes and tips....

Super GRK_Taz World
EFI & Intake Options
AOL IM: superGRtaz

[This message has been edited by Tas (edited April 06, 2001).]
Old 04-09-2001, 10:42 AM
Supreme Member

Received 70 Likes on 61 Posts
Car: 240sx
Engine: whatever works
Transmission: 4l80e this year
Axle/Gears: 3.512
I'm pretty sure duel is better ya, but single can be just as good. or nearly. after all, the only thing an exaust needs to do is send exaust fumes from the engine to the outside right? how hard can that be? what does the exaust care if its going through 2 pipes or 1? 2 pipes helps more airflow sure, but the size of 2 2" pipes is the same as 1 4" pipe isnt it? oh dont give me that physics numbers crap, air is air and whether it flows with or without perfect absolute nothingness restriction or maybe has to force itself into a single tube its still flowing rather freely and still moves pretty well. but then again, i could be wrong.. as always... somone else is going to have a different opinion.
Old 04-10-2001, 07:40 AM

I know that with import cars that have severe exhaust leaks between the the manifold and the cat, you had better get that crap fixed fast, because you will burn your valves up. I know my dad did in his Tercel. Now I know this next comment is somewhat controversial but here it goes.

I know of plenty of people who said that they have lost power because of exhaust cutouts. I personally can tell you that when my y pipe came off of my headers, I lost a ton of power, and my car had nothing off the line. I can't stand it when people with fairly stock engines and heads take off their exhaust and slap on some headers and "rave" about the power increase. Take it to the track, or the dyno, then post your "raves" about the "power increase". I have had 2 cars' exahaust drop off from y-pipe back and can tell you confidently that there was no power increase, and in fact, the cars were considerably slower. now, both of those cars were 305's and I can't tell you anything about the 350's.

Please keep in mind I am talking about people with "almost stock" engines and only a set of headers.

Hope this made a little sense,

Chris
Old 04-10-2001, 09:58 AM

hey cd u r right. we need some backpressure to build lower RPM torque with stock and mild motors. open headers are for high rpm screamers with big cams and heads. i still am skeptical about the burnt valves thing. imports aren't much different than anything else.

------------------
86 IROCZ
T-Tops
700R4
305 TPI
3.23 gears
shift kit, manual TC switch, manual fan switch, flowmaster exhaust with edelbrock TES headers& hollow cat, gutted MAF.