Exhaust Post your questions and suggestions about stock or aftermarket exhaust setups. Third Gen exhaust sound files and videos!

$711 for Jet Hot Hooker 2055's

Search this Thread

Old 08-23-2005, 03:23 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Car: 91 Z28
Engine: 5.7
Transmission: 700R4
$711 for Jet Hot Hooker 2055's

WOW, I called Jet Hot to get a price on set of the coated hooker 2055's direct from them and they quoted me a price of $711. I thought it was more like in the mid $500 range? Any suggestions? Does CE Coatings offer new headers? I am having a hard time getting ahold of Chris? Any help is appreciated.

Rick
Old 08-23-2005, 08:54 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2055's

The 2055 Hookers also include the y-pipe. I am willing to bet that Jet hot is quoting you that price to coat the y-pipe also along with the headers, which would be a wise decision since the
Y-pipe is what catches the most garbage from the road,,,,ie road salt, water etc....
Also a quick tip,,,,,getting any header from Jet Hot in order to have their coating is the best way to do it. The coatings from Hedman, Hooker, etc....are not the best and don't last as long. Granted they are cheaper but there is a reason for that. I have been told that the header manufactures usually skip a couple of the heating and coating processes to save time and money and therefore their coatings are not as durable, basically you get what you pay for. I am not trying to sell Jet Hots coating, I have just had several headers coated from various places and have found Jet Hot to be the best and longest lasting, although they are also a little more expensive. Just some of my experiences. Hope that helps you in making a decision. Larry.
Old 08-23-2005, 09:23 AM
Supreme Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Car: 91 Camaro Vert
Engine: 02 LS1, HX40
Transmission: 2002 LS1 M6
Re: 2055's

Originally posted by firebirdjones
The 2055 Hookers also include the y-pipe. I am willing to bet that Jet hot is quoting you that price to coat the y-pipe also along with the headers, which would be a wise decision since the
Y-pipe is what catches the most garbage from the road,,,,ie road salt, water etc....
Also a quick tip,,,,,getting any header from Jet Hot in order to have their coating is the best way to do it. The coatings from Hedman, Hooker, etc....are not the best and don't last as long. Granted they are cheaper but there is a reason for that. I have been told that the header manufactures usually skip a couple of the heating and coating processes to save time and money and therefore their coatings are not as durable, basically you get what you pay for. I am not trying to sell Jet Hots coating, I have just had several headers coated from various places and have found Jet Hot to be the best and longest lasting, although they are also a little more expensive. Just some of my experiences. Hope that helps you in making a decision. Larry.

lol. you dont know much about the coating process, do you?

saying "jet hot" coating is like saying Nike... sure its a good product, but if you actually look into it, you'll realize theres alot better stuff out there.
Old 08-23-2005, 09:30 AM

coatings

Better stuff out there? Maybe, maybe not. I am not on this board to start arguments, I am only stating my experiences with various coatings that I have used in hopes of helping someone. I have coated 6-7 sets of headers and the ones from Jet Hot I have been the happiest with. If you don't like it, then I would appreciate you keep your comments to yourself. Better yet, if you know of something better than why don't you just post it and help this guy out Larry.
Old 08-23-2005, 11:34 AM
Supreme Member

how does jet hot compare to the factory ceramic coated hookers? I have coated hookers and am just wondering.
Old 08-23-2005, 11:41 AM
Supreme Member

Received 368 Likes on 297 Posts
Car: 89 Iroc-z
Engine: 555 BBC Turbo
Transmission: TH400
Axle/Gears: Strange 12 bolt 3.42
i dont know, i got my hooker shorties from summit racing for like 360-370bucks.

then sent them off to be coated with the sterling silver stuff from JET HOT. the headers only cost me 140 bucks to get covered and thats with a 10% discount cuz i mentioned membership to thirdgen.org

so thats 500 bucks right there. NO way just headers coated for 711, must include Y pipe. which is nice to have but i dont think necessary. just high temp paint it.

i love my jet hot coating. it looks great! hasnt chipped or whatever and keeps the car running cooler. engine bay stays cooler. they did a nice job
Old 08-23-2005, 12:40 PM

Jet Hot

Exactly Orr89, that is what I was eluding to. The price must have included coating the Y-pipe.
I have a pair of hookers on my Chevelle, before that I had Hedmans, both were coated either by the header company themselves or they sub it out somewhere when I bought them new. Either way, I was getting about 3-4 years out of them before they looked like they needed coated again, although I am picky about how my car looks. Last time around I had a new set of Hooker Super Comps coated by Jet Hot and they have been on my Chevelle now for 6 years and still look fantastic. I also had a TR-6 years back and I had that header Jet Hot coated, It was on there for about 5 years and still looked good the day I sold it. I have other cars with similar experiences but you get the idea.
Like I said, Getting them coated straight from the header manufacture is generally cheaper price wise, but those coatings never seemed to last as long as what I got from Jet hot. I am not saying one is better than the other, these are just my experiences. I would just do what your budget allows, goodluck, Larry.
Old 08-23-2005, 08:22 PM
Supreme Member

Car: 92 Z28
Engine: Boosted LSX
I dont sell new headers just coat them.

Never had a pair come back yet.

I give a lifetime warrenty on new headers
and 3 year on used.

Ive done TONS of redos from JET HOT and ASC headers people have had done.

Im not saying im the best out there but I back my work 110%

some SLP headers I did for example
http://www.cecoatings.com/images/coa...SLP%20Headers/

I might cost more then JET HOT etc... but like I said always say you get what you pay for.
Old 08-23-2005, 10:15 PM
Supreme Member

Car: 1993 GMC Typhoon
Engine: 4.3 Turbo
Transmission: 4L60
Axle/Gears: 3.42
jet hot coating is over rated...
Old 08-24-2005, 06:34 AM

coatings

I am sure some people feel that way. Doesn't really matter what coating you get, it's not going to last forever and will have to be redone at some point. They all start pitting over time, some just do it sooner than others. I have not seen a coating yet that will last more than 5-7 years, depending on how the car is stored and driven. I feel pretty lucky the Jet Hot has lasted the last 6 years on my Chevelle. I would suspect I will have to redo them in another year or 2. Out of all of them I have had,,,,,Jet Hot has lasted the longest so far.
Hey TPI383,,,,where in Ohio are you located, I am willing to give you a try next time, seems I am having headers coated every couple years on one of my cars. I will keep you in mind next time. Good info thanks, Larry.
Old 08-24-2005, 04:14 PM
Supreme Member

Car: 92 Z28
Engine: Boosted LSX
Re: coatings

Originally posted by firebirdjones
Hey TPI383,,,,where in Ohio are you located, I am willing to give you a try next time, seems I am having headers coated every couple years on one of my cars. I will keep you in mind next time. Good info thanks, Larry.
Masury, Ohio. 44438

Just LMK when ya wanta get some done.
Old 08-25-2005, 03:39 PM

Received 35 Likes on 34 Posts
Car: 82 Berlinetta/57 Bel Air
Engine: LS1/LQ4
Transmission: 4L60E/4L80E
Axle/Gears: 12B-3.73/9"-3.89
On www.summitracing.com, HOK-2055-1HKR are currently $716.99. That's as coated by Hooker (whoever they have do the coating). I've heard varying reports about the Hooker-supplied coating, but I have no way of varifying any of them, so I don't know if the reports that they are only coated on the outside (others have said both inside and out), or only the headers are coated not the y-pipe, are accurate.

I do know that the uncoated 2055's are currently $390 from Summit (plus their order fee, which is $9.95 now, I believe). That's $40 more than they were when I got mine in 2001, by the way - seems they were only $380 a month or so ago - must be the fuel prices. Anyway, as documented in my post of a couple of months ago, I don't think the 2055's are perfect as received, even though I like them. Opening up the collector ball flanges to match the down pipes and cleaning up the primary ports are things I would recommend, especially if you've got a better-performaning engine. The kicker is you can't do that if you buy the headers coated.

I also think the y-pipe should be coated, especially for those of us in the rust belt, and especially for those with functioning emissions (read: cat). As stated, the y-pipe is really exposed, so the coating can only do it good.

I paid about $325 to send mine to Jet Hot for them to clean up, coat, and ship back to my door. That's about the same as you'd spend to get them new & coated from either Jet Hot or Summit, but I still think buying them uncoated, fit checking and opening up, then coating, is the best way to go regardless of cost.
Old 08-25-2005, 07:43 PM
Supreme Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Car: '88 T/A and '90 T/A
Engine: LB9/383
Transmission: T5/700R4
I paid a little over 280 for mine with a Y. They were the heddmans, same thing as the hooker 2460's. I'm a dealer though, I think retail is in the mid 3's.