Exhaust Post your questions and suggestions about stock or aftermarket exhaust setups. Third Gen exhaust sound files and videos!

85 Trans Am - True Duals

Search this Thread

Old 10-05-2008, 12:51 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Car: 1985 Trans Am.
Engine: 305 Carb.
Transmission: Auto: 700R4
Axle/Gears: 9bolt-3:08-open
85 Trans Am - True Duals

Hey guys; I've got an 85 Trans Am with the stock 305 carbureted engine that I'm planning to put a True Duals exhaust kit on. I've already done a bunch of searching around, and I think I've got all the pieces-parts I'm going to use. All of the parts I've looked up on Summitracing. Here they are:
--The pipes kit I'm going to use is from Dynomax: WLK-89009. Instead of using the clamps that come with this kit, I've got a friend who's a good welder and has access to one.
--I'm going to put in an X-pipe from Magnaflow: MPE-10790
--Headers: Blackjack Shorty headers (recommended for the kit) - WLK-85012
--Mufflers: The kit recommended using Super Turbo mufflers (part#17731), but I might go with Hooker Aero Chambers - HOK-21501HKR

I did a search of the Dynomax kit on the forums and found that they actually aren't mandrel bent, but compression bent?? and that it will restrict exhaust flow. Well, since I'm replacing the stock manifolds from my engine and all of the pipes with it (the current pipes are pretty rusty, and at the bends are wrinkled.) I'm sure that even with the kit being compression bent, I might get better flow then the stock pipes so I'm not as worried.

For the headers; the Blackjacks seem a little cheap and wouldn't mind finding a replacement for those. It said other headers could be used but with "slight modification". If any one knows what it means by this, I'd appreciate the help.

The Hooker Aero Chambers seem like decent mufflers. My friends has one on his 89 Grand Prix and it sounds pretty cool. But, it's a V6 3.1L. hehe..so...

This is the first major modification to the car that I'm doing. Let me know if I left anything out, or if you'd like some more info. on something; I'll try my best. Also, if ANYBODY has any input/suggestions, or has dealt with this Dynomax kit before please let me know!!
Thanks a lot - Ryan.

Last edited by ryan85TA305; 10-05-2008 at 01:11 PM. Reason: Hit 'post' before finished.