Fabrication Custom fabrication ideas and concepts ranging from body kits, interior work, driveline tech, and much more.

Roll cage and connected SFC's project.

Search this Thread

Old 09-18-2012, 04:43 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Roll cage and connected SFC's project.

hey thirdgen, i am about to put an extensive cage in my 1987 camaro. its not a daily driver and it will see more autox and track time than the street. Its my first real build and first strict race car.

my plan is to put in some custom sub frame connectors and tie the cage to the SFC's and the floor of the car as well. im not sure if i should go DOM 1.20 wall for the connectors or like 2"x1" rectangular tubing. and im not sure if i should have them tied into the rear LCA's like Fueled Souls application and the umi SFC's. ive also seen people with other cars (non camaros) cut a channel in the floor to put the sfc's thru and weld the floor back to it on both sides of the rail. does that make any sense for these gen 3 camaros?
lastly (for now) im thinking a plate on the floor for the cage tubing to connect to on the inside of the car and plates on the underside of the car attaching the floor to the SFC's and actually sandwiching the floor. would that be the BEST way? what haven't i thought of?

I am looking for a little bit of advice on what to do or any tips from people with experience in this kind of project.
This project will need to be done by the time i graduate fab school (it is my project for class) oct.20 and im starting it next week. the cage will be tig welded. any input is appreciated, thanks guys.
Old 09-18-2012, 10:16 PM

Received 120 Likes on 101 Posts
Car: 87 IROC L98
Engine: 588 Alcohol BBC
Transmission: Powerglide
Axle/Gears: Ford 9"/31 spline spool/4.86
Re: Roll cage and connected SFC's project.

2x1 tubing may not be enough. 2x2 minimum should be used. If using round tubing, 1-5/8" minimum diameter should be used.

My main hoop is welded to the front crossmember of my 4-link back half. The rear tubes and multiple other tubes are welded to the rear frame. My a-pillar tubes are still welded to 6x6 plates which are welded to the floor. My tubular SFC runs under the floor right under my seat but I also use sill tubes which run from the main hoop to the a-pillar tubes. Mine is more for drag racing but I'm sure an autoX system wouldn't be much different in design other than the back half portion.
Old 09-19-2012, 01:00 AM
Supreme Member

The Don Hardy kit I used yrs ago on a Monza went from the back of the A-Frames to the rear bumper jetting through the floor board welded to both sides of 2 x 3 tubing.The cage's main hoop was welded to 6 x 6 plates to the floor board and then everything was hung of that. The car went through numerous wheel cycles without any issues. The current owner used the car like that for yrs as well and then front haft the car for struts and R & P steering. I think that was aleast 15 yrs ago and the car is still being raced with that tube frame running strong in 9.90 class racing.
Old 09-24-2012, 04:51 PM

so ive talked to some people and some chassis fab instructors and they recommend i cut a 2" wide channel thru the floors on both sides and 2x4" rect tubing welded to the floor and to each sub frame. Everone seems to believe thats the most effective, however it may not be an option on all cars.

so my question is whether its a good idea to cut the the channel underneath the car or if the stock unibody structure is a better design than some 2x4 tubing?
Old 09-25-2012, 05:52 AM
Supreme Member

Any 2 x 4 frame rail is only as good as the rollbar/cage that ties the front and rear together.
Old 09-25-2012, 05:50 PM
Supreme Member

Received 86 Likes on 81 Posts
Car: 92 Lingenfelter Z28 articwhite
Engine: Aluminum 615BBC
Transmission: Th400wbrake/curri entps9" locker
Axle/Gears: 4.11/4.30/4.56

just so ya know.Per NHRA/IHRA ya dont need to Tie it into you SFC, if your Fire wall is all there. with a unibody car.. Drag Car thing. Good TO 9.99.. this would save you time.

and yes plate on floor..plate under floor 4 bolts ea. ya also dont have to weld it..thats why i say bolt..
Old 09-25-2012, 07:00 PM
Supreme Member

I am NOT a big fan of anything that isn't welded.The rules or not.I have seen the results of a poorly constructed/poorly welded cage that once the car went on it's top collapse and the tubes ginzoo'ed (sp) the driver. He is still walking with a cane. When it comes to safety there is no gray area.Just the right way the first time.
Old 09-25-2012, 08:50 PM
Supreme Member

Received 86 Likes on 81 Posts
Car: 92 Lingenfelter Z28 articwhite
Engine: Aluminum 615BBC
Transmission: Th400wbrake/curri entps9" locker
Axle/Gears: 4.11/4.30/4.56

Originally Posted by 1gary
I am NOT a big fan of anything that isn't welded.The rules or not.I have seen the results of a poorly constructed/poorly welded cage that once the car went on it's top collapse and the tubes ginzoo'ed (sp) the driver. He is still walking with a cane. When it comes to safety there is no gray area.Just the right way the first time.
1gary, it's not whats right or wrong, it's what the rules say is OK.

and when installing into a unibody car with a unmolested Firewall.
they NHRA/IHRA say it's ok to Bolt it in... Dont want to get into a big block small block thing... just the Facts...Kewl
Old 09-25-2012, 10:29 PM
Supreme Member

Yep.I'm letting my own experiences supersede the rules. All the yrs I can honestly say we never built a cage that either myself or my partner didn't feel safe driving. We've seen too much.
Old 06-04-2023, 11:19 PM

Car: 1991 Camaro Z28
Engine: 305
Transmission: T5

Does the flat hood with the Trackspec louvers fit with the 3-point STB brace? I've heard conflicting stories, some say it doesn't fit, but on this build it looks like it clears
Old 07-26-2023, 11:24 AM
Supreme Member

Received 151 Likes on 111 Posts
Car: 1991 BandittII Firebird
Engine: 5.7 HSR
Transmission: 700R4
Axle/Gears: 3.27 9 bolt

Originally Posted by 90SpeedRacer
Does the flat hood with the Trackspec louvers fit with the 3-point STB brace? I've heard conflicting stories, some say it doesn't fit, but on this build it looks like it clears
TGO member Mcloving1181 put a set on his 92 RS, he also has a youtube channel 3rdGenGuy, I don't think he has a video of the install on YT but he does have pictures on his Instagram page, I believe he's using a three point brace.
3rd Gen Guy - YouTube
Old 07-31-2023, 01:14 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Car: 84 Camaro Z28
Engine: 5.3
Transmission: Tremic 6 Speed
Axle/Gears: 3:43 posi

Detroit Speed has a couple of good videos installing their SFC on Youtube, I suggest watching it. Never bolt anything. Weld the cage in. I just did a third gen. There are a couple of tricks to do since the cage a-pillar bars actually weld to the SFC. Do your research. I done 6 cages and 3 back halfs in third gens.