History / Originality Got a question about 1982-1992 Camaro or Firebird history? Have a question about original parts, options, RPO codes, when something was available, or how to document your car? Those questions, answers, and much more!

Convertible restorers in here please..........

Search this Thread

Old 08-11-2002, 11:20 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Convertible restorers in here please..........

I just bought a 89 IROC 'vert, nothing special, just a well maintained stock ride, 305 TPI, A4, 2.77? posi/drum.

I know next to nothing about 'verts yet, so here's the questions:

Is ASC still in business and will they supply restoration parts?

Are any of the convertible specific parts still available from GM?

My 'vert has the 115 MPH speedo, and the 305 TPI, which I know was the largest engine offered in the 'vert, and most if not all of the IROC coupes I've seen with the 305 had the 115 speedo, but I read on another post that it should be a 145 MPH speedo, which is correct?

What did the leather seats look like? This one has the regular fabric inserts, with a pretty heavy leather adjacent to it, on the seating surfaces, and matching vinyl everywhere else. The thin center trim stripe on the fabric is also vinyl.
I've never seen seats like these, are they stock, or just ordinary fabric seats that have been recovered like this?

Here's some pics of the seats.

Thanks guys!
Old 08-12-2002, 12:54 AM

Received 20 Likes on 18 Posts
Car: 1990 Pontiac Trans Am
Engine: 355 TPI siamesed runners
Transmission: Tremec T56
Axle/Gears: 12-Bolt 3.73
The 305's without the G92 performance package will have the 115 MPH speedo. You can swap in a 145 MPH speedo fairly easily. Your other questions I dont know the answer.

For convertible parts, try Top Down Solutions at topdownsolutions@yahoo.com .
Old 08-12-2002, 02:22 PM
Supreme Member

Car: 1988 Camaro Convertible
Engine: 355
Transmission: 700r4
ASC is still in business, but you won't get anything from them. They've moved on so to speak.

GM? Good luck I tried four years ago to get parts, still within a ten year window, but nothing was a go.

I have the 115 speedo, and kevin's right the 145mph speedo change over is rather easy.

Your seats look like they were recovered, but I am not an expert there. I ripped out the old cloth seats and put in 4th gen leather ones, so I am the wrong person to know specifics. I like your seats though.

Also I didn't know of any "dog" options with the 89 vert anyone else care to fill me in on this one? It's got to be rare

James
Old 08-12-2002, 04:17 PM

Originally posted by Jstcrzyengh
ASC is still in business, but you won't get anything from them. They've moved on so to speak.

GM? Good luck I tried four years ago to get parts, still within a ten year window, but nothing was a go.

I have the 115 speedo, and kevin's right the 145mph speedo change over is rather easy.

Your seats look like they were recovered, but I am not an expert there. I ripped out the old cloth seats and put in 4th gen leather ones, so I am the wrong person to know specifics. I like your seats though.

Also I didn't know of any "dog" options with the 89 vert anyone else care to fill me in on this one? It's got to be rare

James
Thanks guys, I found ASC's site, and emailed them, so far no reply.

I'd figured GM probably wouldn't have much, if anything, left, thanks for the confirmation.

I have several 145 instrument panels, plan to install one eventually, when the mods start, for now I'm gonna keep it stock for awhile. I was just asking for confirmation that it could have the 115 speedo stock, as I thought, thanks.

Seats: A friend also has a 89 ragtop, and says mine are like his, and the car shows a 822 RPO, Trim Combination, Leather, Medium Dark Grey, so I'm assuming they are stock, possibly recovered as stock. I have seats from a 98 TA, grey leather, 6 way power, lumbar and side support, in the IROC I recently lost to an accident, which will no doubt wind up in this one.

The doggie mod is an ultra rare, one off, owner installed item, the only one like it to my knowledge LOL

Thanks for the help, if anyone knows where to get parts, or excellent quality restoration work on the tonneau cover parts, weatherstripping, etc, please let me know.
Old 08-12-2002, 04:25 PM
Supreme Member

Car: 1988 Camaro Convertible
Engine: 355
Transmission: 700r4
If you have several speedo's sell a couple of them on ebay easy 150 bucks. Make sure you put new lights in BEFORE you install, trust me

I am getting some white face gauges with some ultra blue led lights Add that extra something for my 88. sweeeeeeet!

If you find any of those parts and you don't need them EMAIL me, I ahve even called germany to try to get those parts

Tonneau parts are very hard to come by, I need them bad... Weatherstripping you can kind of make your own from a regular set from a coupe or T-top, but they are still available according to my upholstery guy.

Good luck with it. Next project for me is the LS1 or the LS6 (I can get one relatively cheap)

James
Old 08-13-2002, 08:03 AM

Received 32 Likes on 26 Posts
Car: 90 RS 'Vert, 88 IROC-Z, 88 Firebird
Engine: 305 ci tbi, 305 ci tpi, 350 ci tpi
Transmission: WC-T5, WC-T5, 700R4
Axle/Gears: 3.45, 3.27, 3.27
Before everyone hits me with e-mail on this. So far the only "convertible specific" part I make and stock is the "Flip Rods". Check the tech article I made regarding them: https://www.thirdgen.org/newdesign/tech/fliprods.pdf

ASC has no parts. They are rumored to have sold some of the left over parts to Paradise Automotive in FL (813)920-7544. They didn't have the part I inquired about though. GM still stocks a few parts. Get a Parts & Illustration catalog (or CD) off eBay and do a search with the part numbers.

Lon
Old 08-14-2002, 09:15 AM

Car: 89 Camaro RS Convertible
Engine: 305
Transmission: NWC T-5
Here's the link to get the weatherstripping. These are new old stock parts so they are expensive.

https://www.thirdgen.org/techbb2/sho...threadid=35261
Old 08-14-2002, 01:04 PM

Thanks guys! I should start gathering parts soon, while they're available. And I've saved all the addresses etc.
Old 08-14-2002, 01:08 PM

Just to respond here. I own an '87 GTA vert and it is still possible to get parts from the dealer for it. Pontiac doesn't stock them but Chevy does. I just replaced the solenoid that holds down the rear of the top. ASC doesn't offer replacement parts. They are strictly a business to business operation. They don't deal with the public as far as replacement parts or current conversions. Call around to your local Chevy dealers. I do realize you are talking about your Camaro, but I just wanted to be clear on what I dealt with. Good luck.
Old 08-15-2002, 03:30 PM

Car: 1991 Camaro RS Vert
Engine: 305 (L03)
Transmission: 700 R4
Yeah ASC isn't really a help, the guy who owned mine before me messed up the ASC sticker on the door and I wanted to get a replacement one but they said they couldn't help me. Sucks!
Old 08-15-2002, 05:51 PM

Originally posted by Topless91RS
Yeah ASC isn't really a help, the guy who owned mine before me messed up the ASC sticker on the door and I wanted to get a replacement one but they said they couldn't help me. Sucks!
I emailed them Sunday or early Monday, they haven't even bothered to reply. You guys have been a great resource tho, when I gather the funds I should have the contacts to get most everything I'll need. Thanks!
Old 08-16-2002, 01:31 AM

Third Gen Resource advertises the weatherstripping on their site, though I've had 2 unsuccessful transactions with them so far for other parts.

Tonneau covers show up on eBay once in a while if you're not in a hurry.

lonsal does us a great service by offering the flip rods.

Good luck finding any other parts. I've had my vert for a year now, and I've rarely seen any vert specific parts offered anywhere . Luckily I'm not in dire need of anything, I just keep my eye out for what's available.

BTW, that's a nice looking ride.
Old 08-16-2002, 10:16 AM

Car: 1991 Camaro RS Vert
Engine: 305 (L03)
Transmission: 700 R4
yeah I have had my 'vert for going on 3 years and it is really hard to get parts for these things, it all goes to availability... my bro picked up a twin to mine that we are going to play with, it's in rough shape and we are going to need to do some good searching for parts. I just don't understand how people can let these cars get in bad shape. And when you do find parts they usually want big money for parts!