>, third-gen, camaro, chevy camaro, firebird, pontiac firebird, forum, discussion, bulletin board, aftermarket" />> - Third Generation F-Body Message Boards" />

History / Originality Got a question about 1982-1992 Camaro or Firebird history? Have a question about original parts, options, RPO codes, when something was available, or how to document your car? Those questions, answers, and much more!

A comment about "How Rare is my Car" posts>>

Search this Thread

Old 10-18-2000, 09:51 AM
TGO Supporter

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
Car: 85 IROC-Z / 88 GTA
Engine: 403 LSx (Pending) / 355 Tuned Port
Transmission: T56 Magnum (Pending) / T5
Axle/Gears: 3.42 / ?
A comment about "How Rare is my Car" posts>>

As it was stated below, Chevy doesn't keep track of combinational statistics, and as far as I know not too many people are aware of any from Pontiac either. What this means is that when you ask "How many 86 IROCs came with an automatic, 305 TPI, in pink, with air conditioning but no stereo and with a disco ball hanging from the roof?" nobody is going to know. This has already been established.

But, what I want to try to convey is that YES, your car probably is rare. The number of 87 Trans Ams with a digital dash, WS6 handling package, with a 5 speed LG4 in black with an orange interior with no tilt but with power windows is most likely quite rare. But that in no way makes it special, nor does it make it worth more. In that respect, every somewhat uniquely optioned car is rare. Add to that the specific color and engine packages, and any specific car probably only has a few identical clones. But, MOST cars only have a few identical clones. If you had a car with certian options years ago and you're trying to find an identical replica, good luck. It's rare enough that you probably won't. But, what makes a car valuable is the tug of war between supply and demand. The supply for your specific option package may be low, but so is the demand because nobody cares if the car comes with the console clock. If you have an ORIGINAL 86 IROC with the stock 350, now you have a car with very low supply and a demand that is in the stratosphere. Now your rare car is worth a fortune.

So just to recap, everybody's car is rare, but that doesn't make it valuable. Cars like 1LE cars, B4C cars, and prototype vehicles are rare and very highly saught after. These types of cars are capable of demanding great deals of money. But just because nobody else has a yellow IROC with factory fuzzy-dice doesn't mean that your car is worth more. My IROC is one of VERY few IROCs that came with a loaded interior and the console clock. There is no way of knowing how many, but by the nature of the option combination, I know it's extremely rare. Unfortunately, it adds zero value to my car.

This post is not intended in any way as a flame toward anybody. I just figured I'd post it because there has been a huge surge of the exact same type of question. Everybody has a genuine interest in their car and what makes it special. I've also been on the other side of the coin when I see people selling their car, and everybody thinks theirs is worth more than the next guy's. Unfortunately, that usually isn't the case, and it's important to understand why.

------------------
The IROC Homepage
<A HREF="http://www.rit.edu/~jli4307/camaro" TARGET=_blank>
View the restoration of an 85 IROC</A>
"I didn't know a bored out Ford could go so slow" -Shenandoah

[This message has been edited by Jim85IROC (edited October 18, 2000).]
Old 10-18-2000, 02:20 PM
TGO Supporter

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Car: 1987 Z28 Convertible
Engine: 305 TPI
Transmission: 5-speed
Extremely well put, Jim. And thank you.

Willie
Old 10-18-2000, 05:06 PM

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Car: '88 Bright Red GTA
Engine: 5.7L TPI
Transmission: 700R4
Axle/Gears: 3.27:1
I don't think it could be said any better, Jim.....

------------------
Frankie Rider, 2
The GTA Source Page
-----------------------
1988 GTA Red 5.7L Hatchback
1988 GTA Black 5.7L Notchback
1988 GTA Gunmetal Metallic 5.0L Hatchback
1981 Trans Am WS6 5.0L..... soon to be replaced by Chevy SB400
1980 Turbo 4.9L Trans Am WS6
Old 10-18-2000, 06:33 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
It's about time someone said something, I have a feeling that not too long after this someone will post about their car being rare. I was growing tired of those post. Thanks.
Old 10-19-2000, 12:33 PM
2011 Norwood Gathering
ThirdGen Firebird Rep

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Car: 99 WS6 / 00 SS / 11 CTS-V / 13 300
Engine: LS1 / LS1 / LSA / 5.7 Hemi
Transmission: 4L60E / T-56 / 6L80E / W5A80
Axle/Gears: 3.23 / 3.42 Auburn / 3.23 / 2.62
I agree, within 3 days, we'll get someone with a '86 Camaro LG4 with crank windows, but power door locks and a rearview mirror with maplights, with the "super rare" purple on white combo, and will ask someone how rare it is....I don't know how people would expect there to be an answer in the first place!!!

Do people have any idea how long it would take to figure that out, even if you could????

I just took in on trade at the dealer an '84 Berlinetta, and he wanted way more than what I could give him because it had the console clock and power windows, but no power locks. In the shape its in, I'll be lucky to sell it at all, and he thinks its a collectors item!!!

Speaking of which, does anyone have any idea what an LG4 '84 Berlinetta with 160k miles and a trashed interior is worth anyways??? I don't even know what a good price is!! $1000??? Less?

------------------
Jason E
'89 Camaro RS 2.8
Hypertech chip/2 K&N filters/Accel 8.8 wires/RapidFires
Eclipse CD and 100x4 amp/Boston 746 4x6 plates and RX 6x9 3 ways/ALL Monster's goodies
Alpine Alarm w/ Keyless entry
IROC tailights/tinted windows

[This message has been edited by Jason E (edited October 19, 2000).]
Old 10-19-2000, 02:38 PM
Supreme Member

Car: was: 1984 Camaro Z28
Engine: was: L69
Transmission: was: 700-R4
I agree and have been meaning to post about it, except for having to write all that you have posted.

------------------
George P. Lara
1994 Z28 LT1 T56
1984 Z28 High Output
Member: SCCA, SCFB, SC3GFB
Old 10-22-2000, 02:30 PM
TGO Supporter

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Car: Death Mobile
Engine: 666 c.i.
I too say "Well Said". I would add that the options that "matter" are the performance options more than anything else when it comes to value. My car has the "daytime running lights" which are fairly rare (except for Canadian cars) but is not a "value added" option, as you allude to.

BTW, what was the RPO code for the "fuzzy dice"?
Old 10-23-2000, 04:29 PM
Supreme Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Car: '92 Z28; Dk Teal; Her Pkg
Engine: 305
Transmission: Richmond 6 Spd
Axle/Gears: Moser 9", Detroit Locker, 3.70
FDP for fuzzy pink dice, FDV for fuzzy violet dice, and an extremely rare find......XCH for the hanging crystal chandelier........

Tim
Old 10-24-2000, 07:49 AM
TGO Supporter

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
Car: 85 IROC-Z / 88 GTA
Engine: 403 LSx (Pending) / 355 Tuned Port
Transmission: T56 Magnum (Pending) / T5
Axle/Gears: 3.42 / ?
And GK can probably tell you the RPO for the roof console disco ball.

------------------
The IROC Homepage
<A HREF="http://www.rit.edu/~jli4307/camaro" TARGET=_blank>
View the restoration of an 85 IROC</A>
"I didn't know a bored out Ford could go so slow" -Shenandoah
Old 10-29-2000, 10:17 PM

Yes, Jim sure is right...rare and valuable are not the same words at all.

Plus, the idea of rare cars is probably almost over anyway. Back in the '70s and '80s, especially with American cars, most options were purchaed individually. Like on my '87 Cadillac, it has power seats on both sides, but only the passenger seat has the electric recliner option.

Look at the new cars these days. If you go out and buy a Honda Accord, you get a DX, LX or EX. Then you choose the transmission and color, that that's it. There are a few dealer installed add-ons, but twenty years from now, there will be no such thing as a "rare" 2000 Accord.

And on the flipside of selling a rare car...how about going to buy one? I'd love to find a replacement of my first car, a 1982 Grand Prix Brougham, in Light Jadestone with nearly every option including the sunroof. Honestly, if I find a good one in a different color or with a couple of different options, it would be good enough for me. I don't think I'd pay much extra even if I did find the exact same car.