History / Originality Got a question about 1982-1992 Camaro or Firebird history? Have a question about original parts, options, RPO codes, when something was available, or how to document your car? Those questions, answers, and much more!

i have a 85 z28 hard top convert 2 seater Camaro roadster ....looking for info....

Search this Thread

Old 04-16-2001, 06:44 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
i have a 85 z28 hard top convert 2 seater Camaro roadster ....looking for info....

Again it is a 85 Camaro z28 hard top convert 2 seater roadster.... It was produced by AutoForm.... I have contacted the co but that division is no longer in operation... they sent me a copy of the org GM pamphlet that GM had for the cars.... but that was all the info they said they had.... I was told there were aprox. 30 of the 85's made.. production was from 84 to 87 i was told for the Camaro but i got no info at all for the Firebird models.... the company now under a new name (i do not recall it off hand) only does vans now... but the person i talked to said he remembered the car well and that the owner still has one out front....
Please if anyone has any info on the Roadsters OR if there are others out there who own one PLEASE get back to me.... I live in So Fl just above Miami and i know of 4 others around here... I would also like to start a roadster club... Everyone know of the Yanko camaro or all the other rare camaros but know one ever talks about the 2 seater hard top conver roadsters... I would lay $$$$ on it that 98% of the people on this site have never heard of or does not even know about this car... talk about the knoch back F-Body and everyone will know what you are talking about but tell them you have a 85 convert camaro and they will tell you that you are full of S**T because there is no such thing as an 85 Camaro... and that is before you tell them that the same Camaro has only 2 seats and that it came from the dealership that way.... you would think that you are a Witch in Salem Mass and that the people you are talking to is sizing you up for your pike for the next witch burning...
Anyway if there is anyone out there who has a clue of what i am talking about PLEASE get back to me....
In Advance Thank You...
DM....

------------------
THE DEVIL SOLD ME HIS SOUL.....

Old 04-16-2001, 12:02 PM
Supreme Member

So yours came with a hardtop? The only ones I've seen to date had just the soft top. Many of us oldtimers have seen them before, especially if we lived in warmer climates. But there are a lot of people who won't believe something exists if they haven't seen it in a book (even if its sitting right in front of them). Just ignore them.
Old 04-16-2001, 01:20 PM

Blue 502.... You not kidding.... I try to tell everone who asks about the Camaro it is org but they seem to know more that I do... Why do they ask in the first place then.... My top is hard on top and rag in back... Thanks for your reply....
Have a Goodone...
DM

------------------

Old 04-16-2001, 01:59 PM
Supreme Member

Received 1,052 Likes on 748 Posts
The conversions show up all the time... since its not a factory convertible they aren't in much demand. Checkout ebay, they show up every week or so.
Old 04-19-2001, 03:24 PM

Received 167 Likes on 123 Posts
Car: 87 IROC-Z, 82 Pace Car
I remember posting months ago about the roadster and how my restoration packet for my 87 had info on previous year converts. There was some information listed on who to contact if you have a pre87 convert Camaro. I posted the contact info.Try digging thru the archives looking for posts by me or related to the 2 seater.

------------------
87 IROC 350 TPI with less than 10k original miles
www.users.uswest.net/~smoyer/iroc.htm
www.northstarcamaroclub.com
Old 04-19-2001, 09:10 PM
Supreme Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Car: 1989 camaro rs convertable
Engine: 305 tbi
Transmission: 700r4
Axle/Gears: 7.5"3.42 gears forth gen 2000 camar
please post some pictures
Old 04-20-2001, 07:56 PM

Location: Perhaps there is no happiness in life so perfect as to owning a camaro!
Car: 92 Anniv Ed
Engine: LO3
Transmission: 5 speed
Not the greatest pics... http://www.homestead.com/fieroproject/forsale.html

Old 04-20-2001, 08:15 PM
Supreme Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Car: 1989 camaro rs convertable
Engine: 305 tbi
Transmission: 700r4
Axle/Gears: 7.5"3.42 gears forth gen 2000 camar
i never saw one of those before
Old 04-21-2001, 03:29 PM

Car: 91 Trans Am Convertible
Engine: 300 HP 350 CI
Transmission: 700R4
Axle/Gears: Drums?
Just think of how many guys used to own a Yenko camaro or some other rare car. Think they don't kick themselves for not keeping them. That kind of car is the yenko of the future.
Old 04-21-2001, 04:57 PM

Car: 1989 Camaro Convertible
They may have come from the dealer that way, which means they are probably dealer contracted conversions. I know of these cars and have seen a few, but I don't believe they are FACTORY convertibles. Look at any genuine Chevrolet literature for F-Bodies and show me where any reference is made to these cars at all. I put all these roadster cars in the same catagory as cars that had T-tops put on them as a dealer contracted service, not factory original cars. And putting them on the same level as a Yenko is kinda out there. My .02.
Old 04-22-2001, 10:35 AM
Supreme Member

Transmission: auto
There's the exact same car in a junk yard about 45 mins from me. It's high up so I couldn't really see into it, but it's white w/the same striping on it.
What a waste!
Old 04-23-2001, 07:02 PM

Car: 91 Trans Am Convertible
Engine: 300 HP 350 CI
Transmission: 700R4
Axle/Gears: Drums?
I know what you mean about not putting it on the same level as a Yenko. But in comparison to a lot of other third gens they are rare and that will be worth something. A lot of conversions are done and still sold off the dealer's floor, so personally I consider it factory, but that's my opinion.
Even our convertibles were done outside the factory. But I see your point. Personally I want that green firehawk. Talk about Yenko of the future.

Old 04-23-2001, 09:06 PM

Received 167 Likes on 123 Posts
Car: 87 IROC-Z, 82 Pace Car
Not the same as a Yenko, but along the same lines. You won't find documentation in 69 about the 427 or ZL1. But they do exist. The difference here is those motors were factory, and installed by the factory. This conversion is not.

------------------
87 IROC 350 TPI with less than 10k original miles
www.users.uswest.net/~smoyer/iroc.htm
Northstar Camaro Club of Minnesota
Old 04-23-2001, 10:34 PM

man id love to have that car, that car is sweet when the top is down, to bad it isnt a 5 spd
Old 04-24-2001, 03:18 PM

A good friend of mine in Maine bought one from the original owner last year. It was a 2 seater Trans Am, 1984 I believe. It was white with blue velour interior and blue t/a stripes. It only had 32000 miles on it. The original owner was a doctor who bought it for his wife and they used it summers only up here in Maine.

Since it was an original owner car, we learned a lot about the history from the documentation and from the owner. It was purchased brand new from the local Pontiac dealer. GM contracted for their production, not individual dealers as I recall. It came with all GM booklets and manuals and a GM warranty.

Ironically, I was looking for a 3rd gen convertible at the time. I saw the car first and decided not to buy it. Quality-wise, it was exceptional - whoever did the conversion did a great job, the car does not rattle or shake at all and it drives very straight. But I thought it was ugly as hell. The blue velour interior, though a standard interior for the year from Pontiac, was hideous (if you have that interior, please forgive the insult). It had aftermarket-looking tacky wood-grain applique's on the interior. The cover that went over the back seats was made of fibreglass. Though the fit and finish was quite good, it was ugly. It was a wide, flat surface that looked like an aircraft carrier. Too big a car to be a 2 seater. And, over time, the fibreglass had faded in color to a slightly different white than the rest of the car.

Even with the blue t/a stripes, the car was just plain ugly to me. It looked like one of those "Excalibur" kit cars you see in the classifieds of car magazines.

So I waited and found a "real" 4 seater 3d gen firebird convertible. I'm glad I waited.

The car is for sale, by the way, if you're interested email me and I'll give you the guy's number.
Old 04-24-2001, 03:33 PM

bird,
how much is he sellin the car for? is it a 5 spd?

------------------
80 series flowmaster,8.8, 2.5 in exuast plug wires, accel super coil,accel distriburator, 650 holly n a polished elderbrock rpm performer comin soon
Old 04-25-2001, 09:07 AM

Hello everyone.... Thanks for replying to my post.... Sorry I have not been able to keep in touch with the conversation.... It is nice to see that the roadster is becoming more known about.... I saw the link to the white roadster above.... It looks just like mine except that my top has a fiberglass shell.... I live in So Fl and there are at least 4 or five other roadsters here....
To the guy that said he know of one 45 min away from where he lives a word of advice... ""GET IT"".....
A question to the guy that has one and to anyone else.... Do you know where you can find parts for the car.... I need the drivers side latch for the top and the trim for the top of the A frame...
To the guy that said he recv'ed a restoration packet for his 87... I could not locate the info you said to find in past post... Could you Please locat the info you were talking about and email me with it....
Again to all thank you for your replys to my post... I am happy to see that it is opening everyone to a rare camaro... Keep it up...
DM

------------------

Old 04-26-2001, 01:29 PM

Car: 89 Iroc
Engine: 305TPI
Transmission: T5
That is one awsome car. I would love to won one of those. I also would like to know where I can find info on that car because you now have me rather interested in it. DM you have any pictures of your car? I got a good glance at the one in the other post but I would like to see some really good pictures of the car. Hmmm I think that I have found me a future car.

------------------
Member of NCTGA
North Carolina Third Gen. Assoc.
'89 Iroc-Z
305 TPI few minor things
5 speed
Lowered 2" and yes it is a pain to drive
Old 04-28-2001, 09:35 AM

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Slow83Z28Camaro:
bird,
how much is he sellin the car for? is it a 5 spd?

</font>
Hi Slow83Z28Camaro: Don't actually know, probably not cheap but he's had it since the fall and I haven't seen it on his lot. If anyone wants to talk to him directly I am happy to give his number. Email me directly at bird@javanet.com. He's a VERY straight shooter so whatever he tells you you can take to the bank.

Don't recall whether it's a 5speed or automatic. Sorry!

Dan
bird@javanet.com

Old 04-28-2001, 09:40 AM

If there is interest, I would be happy to take some digipix of my friend's car in Maine and post them here. Since it's an all-original piece it might be helpful to others. The car is about 90 minutes from here but I go up that way on business and wouldn't mind the excuse to visit my friend's barn where he stores his Chevelles and 1st gen Camaros.

So if the moderator or anyone else thinks this would be worthwhile PLMK. Also, since Photopoint is kicking all us freeloaders off I need another place to post photos!
Old 04-28-2001, 07:43 PM

Sorry Drkhrse89.... I do not have any pix of my ride but it looks just like the one above.... And if you can locate one deff get it.... I have been offered $10K for it about a month ago and that is with no motor.... The most I was offered so far was $16K for it.... But it is my baby it took me 3 years to find one so now that I have it there is no way in hell I will let it go.... SO if you can find one GET IT.... Good Luck!!!!!

Hey Bird-67.... Please get the pix that would be great.... Also I have been trying to start a club for us who own the roadsters so what little help can be found I thank you... Keep up the GREAT posts everyone.... Maybe we will attract some attition from others who has other roadsters or info...

Thanks again everyone....

DM

------------------

Old 04-29-2001, 01:09 PM

I am an original owner of one of these "Roadster's".

Go here for some pictures

http://members.aol.com/castleone/batmobile.html

I prefer driving my 99 SS, but the thing still gets the looks it did when it was new.

Old 04-29-2001, 10:05 PM
Supreme Member

Received 23 Likes on 4 Posts
Car: 86 IROC Convt
Engine: 305TPI
Transmission: TH700R4
Someone sent me pics of their roadster, probably a couple of years ago, it was for sale then and I believe it was a young lady who owned it.

Here are the pics:

Ken

------------------
Bright red 86 Iroc-Z Choo Choo Customs Convertible
17x9.5 TT II's w/ 275/40x17's, BMR stb, Lakewood APR, Jamex 1.5" Lowering Springs

ChevyKen's Cars (ALL new!!)

Administrator @ ChevyWorld.net (Now in a BRAND NEW Design)