History / Originality Got a question about 1982-1992 Camaro or Firebird history? Have a question about original parts, options, RPO codes, when something was available, or how to document your car? Those questions, answers, and much more!

91 & 92 GTA's with SLP package...

Search this Thread

Old 10-13-2001, 02:02 AM
Supreme Member

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts
91 & 92 GTA's with SLP package...

First can anyone tell me exactly everything that it included? Also, this was dealer installed correct, so there was no RPO code and it would not be on the window sticker right? Was there any kind of a sticker put under the hood or anything in reguards to the instalation of the SLP package? How much did the package run?

I'm asking all of this because I just came from the original selling dealer of my 1992 Trans Am GTA where I obtained an original copy of the order invoice for my car and it shows that the original buyer purchased quote "SLP Performance Products" for my car at the time he ordered it built but it did not specify what exactly was bought and the dealership could not tell me. My car NOW does not have any visible SLP parts on it like intake runners and headers but hear me out on this. When my car had only 1,900 miles on it, it was returned by the original buyer to the dealership and exchanged. My car was then a month later, sold at action to it's second owner. Now somewhere along the line here like maybe when the dealership got it back or before it was sold at auction, is it possible that the "SLP Package" could have been removed by the dealer or maybe even by the second owner? Also, look at the ET in my sig, it's just is too fast for my car to be totally stock. Did the SLP package include a cam also? If so I think that someone removed the SLP parts on my car like the intake runners and the headers but of course did not remove the cam because either he didn't know about it or thought it was too much trouble and that is why my car is faster than it should be.

If it turns out that this is what happened to my car, I think I'm going to go out and buy all of the parts that made up the rest of package to put my car back to the way it was when purchased.....

Any thoughts?

------------------
www.TransAmGTA.com THE 3rdgen Firebird Site!
1992 GTA (226 made), 1 of only 18 "Dk. Jade Met." 92 GTA's, My Window Sticker, LB9, 700R4 4-Speed, T-Tops, Grey Leather, EVERY available option except U1A.
Current Mods/Upgrades: 80 Series Dual Outlet Flowmaster, TPIS Air Foil, K&N Air Filter, and Mobil 1.
Future Mods/Upgrades: None but a complete restoration.
Best Track Time: 14.6sec@96.6mph

"If it ain't broke, fix it til it is!"
Webmaster www.TransAmGTA.com
My 3rdGen Firebird Message Board!

[This message has been edited by 92GTA (edited October 13, 2001).]
Old 10-13-2001, 06:15 PM
Supreme Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Car: 1992 Z28
Engine: 355
Transmission: 700R4
The full SLP package included.......

Cold air kit

Tri-y headers and y-pipe

2 on the left cat-back

Siamesed intake runners

Throttle body flow booster (optional)

Recalibrated PROM

Underdriven crank pulley (optional)

52mm Throttle body (optional)

If the car had these things installed as part of the SLP performance package a certification sticker was put on the rad support. The options that you chose where "punched" out of this sticker. I've probably left some things out. There has been a gorgeous 91-92 GTA on Ebay for the last month with the package.

------------------
92Z28
89GTA
Old 10-14-2001, 01:30 AM
Supreme Member

Here are the links to this same topic I posted on other sites so you can see what everyone else says:

http://www.TransAmGTA.com/ubb/Forum5/HTML/000384.html

http://discussions.gmforums.com/show...&threadid=8591
Old 10-15-2001, 02:32 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Car: 1991 Formula Firehawk (Clone)
Engine: 350 with Firehawk Package
I've got this package on my 1991 Formula. Since the package was shipped separately, it's very possible that the owner never had it installed and sold it separately when he sold the car. I remember seeing a GTA for sale many years back advertising the SLP Performance Package with the note that it was never installed. Could be whoever bought the car from the origianl owner didn't want the package, so the dude sold it separately. BTW, I dyno'd my Formula after installing the package and got 242.1 hp at the rear wheels, which adjusting for drivetrain loss through the 700R4 comes to between 290-300hp (depending on whether you add the 20% to 242 or subtract it from 300), so SLP was pretty close with their estimates. BTW, the magazine road tests that were done with Formulas all resulted in 1/4 mile times in the high 13's, and the TA's and GTA's were in the low 14's (in all probability due to the weight differences). All and all it was a pretty kick-A$$ package for the price, and it did not void the warranty. One thing that p!ssed me off though was the dealership removed the SLP decal and replaced it with one of their "Pontiac Campaign" stickers after performing a recall service to the car, and I have yet to get a replacement for it. Other than that, I still have the entire package in my car with the exception of the tuned intake runners which got replaced when I put a t-ram on the engine....

...along with a myriad of other SLP go-fast pieces...

------------------
jimbo

Mosquito Coast F-Body Association (MCFBA)

1991 Formula SLP350
1999 Trans Am Firehawk
Old 10-15-2001, 04:51 PM
Supreme Member

I thought it did void the warranty? Motor Trend magazine said that the package voids the warranty in the article that they published. It doesn't make sense though since the whole idea behind SLP is being that it does NOT void the warranty. I don't know.....
Old 10-16-2001, 01:10 AM
Supreme Member

Ok, I found out the real deal with my GTA.

I just updated the web page for my car located here to reflect my most current information: http://www.TransAmGTA.com/Webmaster/...ters92GTA.html

Here is a copy of what I wrote and whats going on with my car:

10/16/01, NOTE: I have found out some very exciting news reguarding my 1992 Trans Am GTA. I have obtained a copy of the original order invoice for my car from the original selling dealer mentioned on the top of this page. It listed the purchase of "SLP Performance Parts" at the time my car was ordered in the amount of $2,818 which was financed in with the original purchase of my car. What this means I've found out through the help of members on this site and www.GTAsourcePage.com is that it looks like my car had been purchased with the optional dealer provided "SLP Package". Since my car right now does not have any of these parts nor the sticker on the top of the radiator showing the installation of it, I have to find out for sure even though it's on my invoice.

Yesterday I was able to contact the original buyer of my GTA and speak with him on the phone. He was more than happy to answer all of my questions and for this I thank him very much. Appearantly the story told above about how the original buyer of my GTA bought 2 of them is wrong. Somehow it got messed up being passed either from the dealer to the second owner, second owner to 3rd owner, or 3rd owner to me. THIS is the REAL story of my car:
My car was ordered on 8-16-91 by one of 2 brothers. Both brothers each bought a 1992 Trans Am GTA and financed them seperatly in each of their own names. The one brother that bought my car also opted to purchase the SLP package at the time of ordering it so that the cost could be finanaced in with the purchase of the car. The other brother did not do this. When the buyer of my car finally had it delivered to him in January of 1992, he was given all of the the SLP package, GM part #12341398, by the parts department of the delaership and he was also given the sticker that went on the radiator. Here's what he did; since the car did not have the factory dual cats which he wanted but could not get because he wanted T-Tops and an automatic tranny and it was not possible to get the dual cats with this combo, he went to the trouble to order the factory dual cat assembly, GM part #10164166. He says he was going to install the entire package including the dual cat assembly BUT he had seen what the new 1993 Firebirds were going to look like so in March of 1992 he returned the car to the dealership and put it towards the purchase of a newer 1993 model. At this point he sold all of the SLP parts package that he ordered for my car to his brother for instalation on his GTA. GM lists the cost of the SLP package at $2,085 and the dual cat assembly at $811.00. This is why it shows on my invoice that all of the parts cost $2,818. Now that does add up to $2,896 but I just got that $811 quoted to me by the dealer yesterday so doing the math it must have cost only $733 back in 1992 to make it come out to the $2,818.

I now must decide whether or not to obtian all of the parts to the SLP package including the radiator sticker and re-install the package onto my car. On one hand, it was not factory installed and therefor could be considered and modification BUT it was GM approved and purchased through the GM parts counter at the time the car was ordered being that it's on the original invoice. Also though, it's just part of my cars history that it was never installed but then again it was meant for my car and should be put on it. I don't know what I'm going to do at this point. If I do decide to put the package on my car, it's going to be very difficult to replicate as the only to get the radiator sticker was to purchase the package thorugh GM not SLP but GM discontinued the package in 1995. I'm going to have to have track down each and every piece and find a radiator sticker. As for the dual cat setup, I might not add that since it was not an actual part of the SLP package.
Old 10-18-2001, 04:18 PM
Supreme Member

DUDE, SLP just totally hooked me up!! I called about 3 days ago trying to find that sticker for the radiator for the SLP package. I got referrred to 4 different people then finally I got the right person so I left a message. This morning there was a voice mail from him on my cell, I called him back and guess what, HE HAD THE LAST 2 SITTING IN FRONT OF HIM ON HIS DESK!!! I asked him if I could by them both because I might need 2nd one in another 20 years or so, he said no because he might need to reproduce it in the furture BUT he straight GAVE me the other one fro FREE!!!! I should have it in about a week.

Man I am so damn lucky!!! He's also going to find me a set of the old Tri-Y headers that were discontinued. All of the other parts I need for the package are still for sale on their site......

Old 10-19-2001, 05:52 AM

congrats man, thats quite a history behind your car
Old 10-30-2001, 12:26 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Car: 1991 Formula (sold)
Acceld Z do you mean this SLP-GTA

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/aw-cg...ndexURL=0&rd=1

That is one sweet ride, so sweet that I bought it the guy who owned it is very cool and very ****. Its in like new condition, I plan on getting the 52mm TB, just bought the air foil, and John sending the underdrive pulley and belt.

I've very excited about the purchase, this is my first 3rd gen. I had 2 10th anns, and a bandit edition before this, so im not new to the game.

PS the SLP package sold me too 92GTA, nice car love the color.
Old 10-30-2001, 08:08 AM

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Car: '88 Bright Red GTA
Engine: 5.7L TPI
Axle/Gears: 3.27:1
Damn, SLP-GTA.... I've been watching that one on eBay too. I was just curious to see what it finally went for. I'd love to have a later-model GTA to go with my others but two factors seem to be hampering my quest at present:

1) With three GTAs already "in the yard", my wife isn't real receptive to adding a fourth.... or any other variable of "1".... at present. Although she does like the idea of converting a GTA into a pink one for our baby daughter at some point in the future. I'm working on the 1:24 version right now.

2) She absolutely HATES the 1991-1992 look of the GTAs. It took a while for me to appreciate Pontiac's bold attempt at a restyle (like about 6 years or so), but she absolutely disparages it at every turn. Don't ask for specifics....let's just say she expresses her opinion colorfully....

I guess for her the 3rdGen Firebirds stopped in 1990.... and I will admit I shared her view for many years.... *moves back from the screen and cringes*

Still, if I ever get the chance to get (and can afford) a Jamaica Yellow 1992 GTA, she'll just have to eat her words. I'll film it for you all....

I had a chance to pick up a really nice white 1991 5.7L GTA last year for a nice price, but she nixed it right quick. Lucky for me, as the car had a pair of blown head gaskets on later inspection. PHEW! Although I still see the car regularly since a friend of mine who owns a detail shop turned one of his workers onto it.... and it is not being maintained in any kind of shape at all at present.

Enough crying and whining....

Anyway, congratulations on scoring what looks to be an awesome GTA. Naturally, I'll be wanting some photos of it for the GTA Source Page when you get everything squared away.... I think that car might qualify as a Spotlight feature car if you really twist my arm a bit.

If this thing is your first 3rdGen purchase.... I feel you won't be disappointed. I would thinik an extra 50 hp would have a way of putting a smile on your face.

About Alex's GTA.... yes, that color is quite distinctive. So much so that I went and had some mixed to paint my 91-92 GTA model that I'm getting ready to start work on. Boy, it really looks interesting coming out a spray can.

------------------
Frankie Rider, 2
The GTA Source Page
-----------------------
'88 GTA Red Hatchback - 5.7L/A4
'88 GTA Black Notchback - 5.7L/A4
'88 GTA Gunmetal Hatchback - 5.0L/A4
Old 10-30-2001, 10:10 AM
2011 Norwood Gathering
ThirdGen Firebird Rep

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Car: 99 WS6 / 00 SS / 11 CTS-V / 13 300
Engine: LS1 / LS1 / LSA / 5.7 Hemi
Transmission: 4L60E / T-56 / 6L80E / W5A80
Axle/Gears: 3.23 / 3.42 Auburn / 3.23 / 2.62
There is only one thing that doesn't make sense about Alex's car...why in the world would someone buy a 305 and then throw SLP stuff on it? If I remember, the 305 TPI was a $300 or so delete option in the GTA...certainly the SLP package cost much more than that.

I can totally see buying a nice 305 car NOW and adding SLP parts if one so desires...I just don't get why someone buying the car NEW would have done that when a 350 would have been so little extra $$ in the grand scheme of things. Regardless, I like the car too

------------------
Jason E

'89 Camaro RS
-Medium Grey Metallic
-2.8, A4, T-tops, 95k miles
-Hypertech chip, Accel 8.8MM wires and coil
-K&Ns with gutted airbox
-Alpine 60x4 with Boston 746s and RX97s

'97 Z28
-30th Anniversary package (white with orange stripes)
-LT1, M6, t-tops, 46k miles
-Xtant 403a 50x4 + 300x1 powering a 10" Eclipse Aluminum in a JL Stealth box, Boston RM6 fronts, Monsoon rears (temporary!!), Eclipse 5341R CD, All Monster's goodies...
Speed Kills...Wanna live forever? Drive a Ford.
Long Live #3...
Old 10-30-2001, 11:03 AM

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Car: '88 Bright Red GTA
Engine: 5.7L TPI
Axle/Gears: 3.27:1
*rubs scruffy chin*

Good point, Jason. Why, indeed.....? Anybody else have any ideas?
Old 10-30-2001, 11:14 AM
Supreme Member

Well the original owner said that he had to had T-Tops (as do I ) and that was of course the only way to get it and he felt that adding the package would more than make up for not getting the 350. I mean the guy even ordered the dual cat assembly and that would have added another 20-30 hp for a total of 80 more factory HP making it a 285 hp original 305. I definantly think it's worth it. I just wish the guy had put the parts on or atleast kept the kit to sell with the car.

I guess it makes sense to me but what matters is that it's on my original invoice right? I don't plan on getting a dual cat assembly because that was not factory on the 305 with the auto and it was not included with the package so it wouldn't be original.......

SLP-GTA, congrats on the purchase! I hope you don't mind but I took a copy of that picture of the factory CD player that was in the auction for my personal archive because it's the best picture of a factory CD I've been able to find.

[This message has been edited by 92GTA (edited October 30, 2001).]
Old 10-30-2001, 02:48 PM
Supreme Member

Car: 1992 Z28
Engine: 355
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by SLP-GTA:
Acceld Z do you mean this SLP-GTA

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/aw-cgi/eBayISAP I.dll?ViewItem&item=596722519&r=0&t=0&showTutorial=0&ed=1003790886&indexURL=0&rd=1

That is one sweet ride, so sweet that I bought it the guy who owned it is very cool and very ****. Its in like new condition, I plan on getting the 52mm TB, just bought the air foil, and John sending the underdrive pulley and belt.

I've very excited about the purchase, this is my first 3rd gen. I had 2 10th anns, and a bandit edition before this, so im not new to the game.

PS the SLP package sold me too 92GTA, nice car love the color.
</font>
Lol, that's the one. Sweet GTA. Could you get the SLP package on 1990 cars?

------------------
89GTA-The Driver
92Z28-The Lawn Ornament

"Sunday Money"
Old 10-30-2001, 03:40 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
[QUOTE]Originally posted by FrankieRider2:
[B]Damn, SLP-GTA.... I've been watching that one on eBay too. I was just curious to see what it finally went for. I'd love to have a later-model GTA to go with my others but two factors seem to be hampering my quest at present:

Anyway, congratulations on scoring what looks to be an awesome GTA. Naturally, I'll be wanting some photos of it for the GTA Source Page when you get everything squared away.... I think that car might qualify as a Spotlight feature car if you really twist my arm a bit.

If this thing is your first 3rdGen purchase.... I feel you won't be disappointed. I would thinik an extra 50 hp would have a way of putting a smile on your face.

Thanks Frankie, Love to put it on your web page, in addition no problem using any photos, it all fair game. I'm going to contact SLP for the cam kit along with the TB and bigger injectors, but before that I'm ordering NX Nitrous express NEX20920 for 495.00 with free shipping, I'll start with the 75hp jets and let ya know how it runs
here is there link

http://www.rpmoutlet.com/nexefigmcar.htm

Also looking for a pair of GTA 16x8 with the gold centers for some 275 nittos drags radials, anyone know where some used or best price on new ones???

PS The car will be well cared for, Im in my mid 30s and still dig speed, but I refused to trash a car, unless it a import

FrankieRider2 GREAT web page heck spent most of the afternoon there and i'm still not done, I'll wait and soak it in a little at a time
PS I'll twist your arm, then I'll get better photos of the car w/o the glare from the trees

[This message has been edited by SLP_GTA (edited October 30, 2001).]
Old 11-01-2001, 10:22 PM
2011 Norwood Gathering
ThirdGen Firebird Rep

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Car: 99 WS6 / 00 SS / 11 CTS-V / 13 300
Engine: LS1 / LS1 / LSA / 5.7 Hemi
Transmission: 4L60E / T-56 / 6L80E / W5A80
Axle/Gears: 3.23 / 3.42 Auburn / 3.23 / 2.62
92 GTA,

Now THAT is an argument that makes perfect sense I am the exact same way...I refuse to have no t-tops, even though my '89 drives me insane with having to leave towels on the seats every time it rains