History / Originality Got a question about 1982-1992 Camaro or Firebird history? Have a question about original parts, options, RPO codes, when something was available, or how to document your car? Those questions, answers, and much more!

recent 3rd gen buyer with some restoration questions

Search this Thread

Old 11-29-2010, 09:45 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
recent 3rd gen buyer with some restoration questions

Hi everyone. I am new to the forum and have done a ton of reading on here since I bought my 87 IROC and would just like to say, awesome website, been a great help so far.
The car is real cherry with only 40000 original miles(to the best of my knowledge) and runs and drives great. Anyway, I just had a few questions about the car that I could not find on here or anywhere else.
1. Car had from factory RPO UA1 heavy duty battery. Currently does not have that and would like to know what the current AC Delco battery replacement is for the heavy duty option.
2. Power antenna does not work. I have read up on that and all the repairs you can do, I would just rather replace the whole assembly with a factory GM. What is the part # for the assembly.
3. The car is a 5 speed manual and the reverse lights quit working. I'm pretty sure this is just a switch on the transmission somewhere but not positive. Any info and direction on how to replace/repair so my reverse lights work again would be great.

So far that is the only problems I've got with the camaro and drove it from Albequerque to St.louis to bring it home. Please help me out if you have any knowledge to my questions.
thanks a lot.
Old 11-29-2010, 10:59 PM

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts
Car: White 1987 IROC-Z
Engine: 305 TPI LB9, 215 HP
Transmission: Borg-Warner T5 NWC
Axle/Gears: Borg-Warner 7.75 with 3.27 ratio
Re: recent 3rd gen buyer with some restoration questions

Originally Posted by 5speedfan
Hi everyone. I am new to the forum and have done a ton of reading on here since I bought my 87 IROC and would just like to say, awesome website, been a great help so far.
The car is real cherry with only 40000 original miles(to the best of my knowledge) and runs and drives great. Anyway, I just had a few questions about the car that I could not find on here or anywhere else.
1. Car had from factory RPO UA1 heavy duty battery. Currently does not have that and would like to know what the current AC Delco battery replacement is for the heavy duty option.
2. Power antenna does not work. I have read up on that and all the repairs you can do, I would just rather replace the whole assembly with a factory GM. What is the part # for the assembly.
3. The car is a 5 speed manual and the reverse lights quit working. I'm pretty sure this is just a switch on the transmission somewhere but not positive. Any info and direction on how to replace/repair so my reverse lights work again would be great.

So far that is the only problems I've got with the camaro and drove it from Albequerque to St.louis to bring it home. Please help me out if you have any knowledge to my questions.
thanks a lot.
Hello 5speedfan!!

Welcome to the TGO forums!!

Answers to your questions!!

1. AC Delco 75-6YR = 650 CCA with 90 min reserve, works great!!
2. Check out www.compnine.com has lots of part numbers that are still good, with diagrams/pictures!! Try the repairs first!! It could be something really simple, that will save you $$$.$$
3. Try disconnecting the connector at the switch on the transmission, and jumping the wire to see if the reverse lights work!! The switch replacement is easy, be careful with the aluminum threads, do not over tighten!! I had to replace mine once, about ten years ago!!! This would be a good time to replace your transmission fluid, if you don't know when it was done last!!

P.S. Post a picture!!

Last edited by 87IROC-DAN61; 11-29-2010 at 11:03 PM.
Old 11-30-2010, 10:49 AM
Supreme Member

Received 1,052 Likes on 748 Posts

Up until a few years ago, the AC Delco service replacement for our cars was virtually identical to the original Delco Freedom battery, except for the color of the plastic case (black vs white), and the labels. However, in the recent past AC Delco has dumped the Delco "eye" and redesigned the plastic case. Other then brand, the currect AC Delco battery shares as much in common with the original as any other car battery. The last 6yr Delco battery I bought died three months before the warranty was up. I would have to really want that brand name to justify buying another one.

The reverse lights on the T5 are controlled by a switch into the side of the transmission's main case. I wouldn't be surprised if the harness isn't even plugged into the transmission.
Old 11-30-2010, 12:03 PM
Supreme Member

Received 63 Likes on 52 Posts
Car: '02 T/A WS6, '91 T/A, '91 Camaro RS
Engine: LS1, LB9, L03
Transmission: T56, 700R4, 700R4
Axle/Gears: 4.10 10 bolt, 2.73 10 bolts

Originally Posted by Drew
Other then brand, the currect AC Delco battery shares as much in common with the original as any other car battery. The last 6yr Delco battery I bought died three months before the warranty was up. I would have to really want that brand name to justify buying another one.
Ditto -- batteries are about the only thing that I *DON'T* insist on being Delco. I had three different Delco's in my 02 that were replaced under the factory 3/36 warranty. The only good thing I can say about them is that the label says Delco, which of course matches the rest of the car.

You're much better off with an Optima (if funds permit), or a Bosch.
Old 11-30-2010, 12:45 PM

Car: 83 Z28
Engine: F-body LT1 swap
Transmission: T-56 swap
Axle/Gears: 10 bolt w/ 28 spl posi, 4.10, disks

I run a Bosch in my Ion Coupe (good so far), an Autozone gold in my camaro (used my points so it was super cheap), and a Diehard Platinum in my Jeep (great battery, never drops below 10 volts even on long winch pulls).

Unless you are dead set on Delco batteries there are better batteries out there for less money.
Old 11-30-2010, 03:10 PM
Supreme Member

Received 756 Likes on 512 Posts
Car: 1989-92 FORMULA350 305 92 Hawkclone
Engine: 4++,350 & 305 CIs
Transmission: 700R4 4800 vig 18th700R4 t56 ZF6 T5
Axle/Gears: 3.70 9"ford alum chunk,dana44,9bolt

Napa carries a battery that looks the same as a Delco replacement.
Old 11-30-2010, 05:03 PM

Thanks a ton for the responses, and anyone elses continuing input would be greatly appreciated as well. Would still like to know the part # for whole antenna assembly replacement. As far as battery, the one in it is in good working order, was just wondering if with the heavy duty option the car had if it was something special of a delco replacement. And sorry, I am pretty "die hard" delco even if there is better out there which I know there is, just how I was raised, no offense. The transmission, I will try and get under the car soon and check it out, just seeing if that was a common problem. I'll try to get a picture up asap. the weather here has been crap lately and haven't had a good time to clean it up and take a good picture. thanks again for the responses.
Old 12-01-2010, 01:02 AM

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts
Car: White 1987 IROC-Z
Engine: 305 TPI LB9, 215 HP
Transmission: Borg-Warner T5 NWC
Axle/Gears: Borg-Warner 7.75 with 3.27 ratio

Originally Posted by 5speedfan
Thanks a ton for the responses, and anyone elses continuing input would be greatly appreciated as well. Would still like to know the part # for whole antenna assembly replacement. As far as battery, the one in it is in good working order, was just wondering if with the heavy duty option the car had if it was something special of a delco replacement. And sorry, I am pretty "die hard" delco even if there is better out there which I know there is, just how I was raised, no offense. The transmission, I will try and get under the car soon and check it out, just seeing if that was a common problem. I'll try to get a picture up asap. the weather here has been crap lately and haven't had a good time to clean it up and take a good picture. thanks again for the responses.
Hello 5speedfan!!

1984-1988 Camaro Power Antenna Part # 88891017 $252.38 US?

I hear you on the battery.........I too use only AC Delco stuff, as much as possible, they always say "Keep your GM car, all GM"!! (or something to that effect )