History / Originality Got a question about 1982-1992 Camaro or Firebird history? Have a question about original parts, options, RPO codes, when something was available, or how to document your car? Those questions, answers, and much more!

Wildfie Firebird

Search this Thread

Old 09-22-2011, 10:44 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Car: 84 Bird-28k original miles
Engine: LT1
Transmission: M29 T56
Axle/Gears: Moser 9" 3.89 Detroit Locker
Wildfie Firebird

Has anyone heard of a Wildfire Firebird. I just purchased an 84 Firebird limited edition by Wildfire Motorsports( was a Dallas based company in yhe 80's. The car was bought new at a dealership in Lewisville, Tx with all modifications done to the car. Engine is a 350 from RHS with an Edelbrock intake and Holley 600 carb, hooker #2138 long tube headers no cat, and an Hei. Computer and harness was removed along with the emission equipment. Trans is a Doug Nash 4+1 5 speed with scattershield. Car also has bigger sway bars, front is adjustable, and koni shocks. Wheels are some old school 15 inch enkei wheels. It had some fender flares and body kit which ard gone but still has this NASCAR looking wing on it. Interior has konig front seats, trim bezels, and a 160 speedo. The car has 28k original miles on it and is very clean. Like I said the car was bought new this way from a dealer for get this, 26k in 84. I have all paperwork, dealer invoice and letters between wildfire motorsports and the original owner. I know this car was bought this way because I purchased it from a family friend who got the car from his boss(original owner). If anyone has heard of these cars and has more info I would greatly appreciate it. I plan on putting an LT1 6 speed in it, but would just like to know more about these cars. Thanks
Old 09-22-2011, 10:48 PM
Supreme Member

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
Car: 1992 Formula Firebird
Engine: 305CID (LB9)
Transmission: World Class T5
Axle/Gears: 10-bolt, 4.10 gears
Re: Wildfie Firebird

Originally Posted by RKinney
Has anyone heard of a Wildfire Firebird. I just purchased an 84 Firebird limited edition by Wildfire Motorsports( was a Dallas based company in yhe 80's. The car was bought new at a dealership in Lewisville, Tx with all modifications done to the car. Engine is a 350 from RHS with an Edelbrock intake and Holley 600 carb, hooker #2138 long tube headers no cat, and an Hei. Computer and harness was removed along with the emission equipment. Trans is a Doug Nash 4+1 5 speed with scattershield. Car also has bigger sway bars, front is adjustable, and koni shocks. Wheels are some old school 15 inch enkei wheels. It had some fender flares and body kit which ard gone but still has this NASCAR looking wing on it. Interior has konig front seats, trim bezels, and a 160 speedo. The car has 28k original miles on it and is very clean. Like I said the car was bought new this way from a dealer for get this, 26k in 84. I have all paperwork, dealer invoice and letters between wildfire motorsports and the original owner. I know this car was bought this way because I purchased it from a family friend who got the car from his boss(original owner). If anyone has heard of these cars and has more info I would greatly appreciate it. I plan on putting an LT1 6 speed in it, but would just like to know more about these cars. Thanks
Never heard of that one.
Old 09-22-2011, 11:02 PM

I haven't either. I think it was some optioned car sold through a dealer. There were some issues about options it was suppose to have but doesn't. The motor was suppose to be more heavily built and was suppose to have a 12 bolt according to the options sheet. Those are the only options that don't check out. Doesn't really matter to me, I'm swapping it all out anyway. Anyone need a DN 4+1 w/shifter and scattershield?
Old 09-22-2011, 11:11 PM
Supreme Member

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
Car: 1992 Formula Firebird
Engine: 305CID (LB9)
Transmission: World Class T5
Axle/Gears: 10-bolt, 4.10 gears

I haven't either. I think it was some optioned car sold through a dealer. There were some issues about options it was suppose to have but doesn't. The motor was suppose to be more heavily built and was suppose to have a 12 bolt according to the options sheet. Those are the only options that don't check out. Doesn't really matter to me, I'm swapping it all out anyway. Anyone need a DN 4+1 w/shifter and scattershield?
Unless it went for a ton of money, I don't think any dealer would have swapped the engine out. I've heard of that being done in super rare cases such as the LS2 equipped Solstices that some Pontiac dealer used to sell, but regardless I don't see any dealer removing emissions equipment and selling vehicles that couldn't pass emissions testing, visually or otherwise.

It doesn't check out or make much sense. Though you are the one with the documentation.

Do you have pics of the car? I'd like to see it just the same.
Old 09-22-2011, 11:26 PM

I agree with you on that. From what I know and was told the dealer did not do any of the modifications. I am thinking it was bought new then sent to this company for the modifications. There are letters from a Bill Rea to the owner. I researched his name and found an article talking about the company he started in Dallas. It said he used to be involved with Don Yenko way back in the day. I have never found any pics of the wildfires supposedly built. I do have a few pics of what it looked like when I bought it and will post when I can. I have already started the swap process, 4th gen rear and rear suspension.
Old 09-23-2011, 06:31 AM
Supreme Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'd check for links at Hot Rod or Car Craft. They did articles on cars like that, all the time in the 80s.
Old 09-23-2011, 06:59 PM
Supreme Member

Received 44 Likes on 42 Posts
Car: 86 Trans Am, 92 Firebird
Engine: 408 sbc, 3.1L of raw power
Transmission: TKO600, T5
Axle/Gears: Moser 9", 3:70 trutac, 3:23 torsion

post lots of pics!

i highly doubt the car has a 12 bolt, since a torque arm 12 bolt didnt exsist back then. Unless the rear suspension has be changed entirely.
Old 09-23-2011, 10:24 PM

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Car: 1983 Daytona 500 Pace Car
Engine: CFI - 305
Transmission: Automatic-700R4

Gale Banks was using Ford 9 inch rears in 1983 and other turners were using the GM 10 and 12 bolts.

Name:  Image1.jpg
Views: 97
Size:  109.9 KB

Name:  Image2.jpg
Views: 95
Size:  97.7 KB
Old 09-23-2011, 11:25 PM

The car does not have a 12 bolt. I have already put a 4th gen rear with disc brakes in the car, I'm putting zr1 style wheels on it. I never post pics on forums so I'll have to find a way to post. I only have a few before I started swapping parts. What's the best way? I'm not too worried about the history, just wanted a clean low mileage 3rd gen to swap over my 4th gen stuff to. I have always had Camaros so it's nice to make the change to a bird.
Old 09-23-2011, 11:50 PM
Supreme Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Car: 84 Trans Am, 84 Fiero, 86 944
Engine: 5.0, 2.5, 2.5
Transmission: 5spd

i want pictures, sounds interesting, or like complete crap, pics and time and alot of searching will tell
Old 09-25-2011, 12:32 AM

Name:  image-2.jpg
Views: 62
Size:  14.0 KB
Name:  image-1.jpg
Views: 62
Size:  14.0 KB

I hope these pics posted. The interior bezels have glue on them from removing the fake wood trim that was peeling. Found a gauge bezel already, now just need to address the center console bezels. Will get some more pics up when I get them. 4th gen rear is in and now just waiting for the wheel spacers for the front. Replaced the header gaskets, valve cover gaskets, plugs, and wires. Gonna drive her for a bit before winter hits then swap the power train and front brakes.
Old 09-25-2011, 01:23 AM
Supreme Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Car: 84 Trans Am, 84 Fiero, 86 944
Engine: 5.0, 2.5, 2.5
Transmission: 5spd

steering wheel is odd o_0 and those appear to be corbuea (cant spell it) seats so there not stock and as for the wood grain on the dash anyone could have put that on, paint is nothing special i've seen a few like that before, wheels look aftermarket, so far i'm not sure its anything special sorry, nice looking car though and hey its still a firebird
Old 09-25-2011, 08:05 AM

Steering wheel is a grant, seats are konig, and I know the trim could be put on by anyone. I've also seen the paint scheme before. I never said the car was special, but thanks for your opinion. Though I didn't ask for opinions. I did find an older post on another forum of someone else asking about an 84 wildfire trans am. Like I said before, I know this car was made this way by wildfire motorsports in 84. I have all paperwork. I know who the original owner is and I've known the person who I bought the car from since I was 6(second owner). I know most of the history of the car, I just wanted to know if anyone had heard of thes cars cuz I know there was more made. I can't complain, I got a clean car that needs a little work on the exterior, not much in the interior, and I got it for $1500. I will make most of my money back by just selling the Doug Nash trans.

Last edited by RKinney; 09-25-2011 at 08:13 AM. Reason: Add text
Old 09-25-2011, 10:28 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Car: 89 RS Vert, 89 Formula, 89 Bird
Engine: L03, TBI 350, none
Transmission: 700R4, 700R4, none
Axle/Gears: 3.42, 3.45, none

The spoiler looks like RPO Z20, the 88 Firebird appearance package that included the four wheel spats.
Pictures here --> https://www.thirdgen.org/forums/hist...e-package.html
Old 09-25-2011, 10:59 AM

Yeah, it does look similar. Based on receipts, the one on my car was part of the appearance package installed back in 84 by the company that did all the mods. I kinda like it, so I'll keep it on there.
Old 07-25-2014, 08:27 AM

I built them. Any info you want, I have. Bill Rea 814-229-3402
Stage I through Stage IV. Most sold through Chevy and Pontiac dealers...David McDavid, Steakley Chevrolet, Friendly Chevrolet, Johnson Chevrolet and more. 367 sold between 1982 and 1987.

Also google: bill rea yenko Wildfire to see what we've done since.
Old 07-25-2014, 08:31 AM

I hope these pics posted. The interior bezels have glue on them from removing the fake wood trim that was peeling. Found a gauge bezel already, now just need to address the center console bezels. Will get some more pics up when I get them. 4th gen rear is in and now just waiting for the wheel spacers for the front. Replaced the header gaskets, valve cover gaskets, plugs, and wires. Gonna drive her for a bit before winter hits then swap the power train and front brakes.
That's a car that was built for a doctor in Denton, Tx. He came in and wanted a car built that would beat his friend's 911. We built him a stage IV with 620 hp. It beat the Porsche in the 1/8, 1/4 and flying mile.

Hadn't heard about it in years.
Old 07-25-2014, 08:36 AM

Originally Posted by ex-x-fire
I'd check for links at Hot Rod or Car Craft. They did articles on cars like that, all the time in the 80s.
Appeared at Eagle 97 car show at DCC. Was in Car Craft and Hot Rod.
Later cars were in Restomod Annual.

Several of our cars are now in 6 museums. Had a car at Corvette Museum in Bowling Green and the only Corvette ever at Auburn Cord Duesenburg Museum in Indiana.

Google Bill Rea Yenko Wildfire for history, pics, video.
Old 07-25-2014, 08:41 AM

I agree with you on that. From what I know and was told the dealer did not do any of the modifications. I am thinking it was bought new then sent to this company for the modifications. There are letters from a Bill Rea to the owner. I researched his name and found an article talking about the company he started in Dallas. It said he used to be involved with Don Yenko way back in the day. I have never found any pics of the wildfires supposedly built. I do have a few pics of what it looked like when I bought it and will post when I can. I have already started the swap process, 4th gen rear and rear suspension.
Dealers did none of the work. It was all done by my shop. Later we did work in Pennsylvania, Texas and Arkansas. In all 657 cars, many customer cars and 25 Yenko Wildfire Commemorative vehicles were built.
Most can be seen by googling bill rea yenko wildfire
billrea33@comcast.net
Old 07-25-2014, 08:47 AM

Each car was spec'd out prior to the build and ALWAYS was completed by the checklist. Our Mild To Wild banner meant what it said.
Approx. 300 to 625 hp.

We have done several now with over 800 hp....though mild by twin turbo standards.

0-60 in 3.7 1/4 mile best of 10.33/133 mph. Top Speed...206.54
plus road course and grand prix wins. We're happy.
Old 07-25-2014, 08:48 AM

Originally Posted by kmcn47
i want pictures, sounds interesting, or like complete crap, pics and time and alot of searching will tell
billrea33@yenko-wildfire.net