History / Originality Got a question about 1982-1992 Camaro or Firebird history? Have a question about original parts, options, RPO codes, when something was available, or how to document your car? Those questions, answers, and much more!

You must be joking

Search this Thread

Old 04-26-2012, 01:17 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Car: 1983 camaro z28, 1981 honda cb650
Engine: Lu5 305 crossfire v8
Transmission: 700r4
Axle/Gears: 2.93
Re: You must be joking

Originally Posted by hardon85
Very well said here and just to add a few things to what you already said. First off I should say that I turned 30 this year and I guess I'm as old as the first 3rd gens so these cars are basically the same to me as the muscle cars I hear my parents talk about, basically I remember seeing the later ones that were new and awesome to when I turned 16 and was ready to buy a car these were now in my price range (even though my parents never let me get one ;( ) and am now seeing them close to moving into the classic stage. From what I see on this board I see a lot of younger kids that got 3rd gens for a 1st or 2nd car which was probably not their first choice, but once they have it they have big dreams of totally restoring their cars (whether it be the right way or wrong way) and that's why they joined this board, which is awesome don't get me wrong but unfortunately most of the time they end up getting rid of these cars for a more practical daily driver. Then I see the people who are my age or a little older and now have a little more disposable money and really want to get that car of their dreams (at least their high school dreams) maybe a mid life crisis. Then their are others who I really don't see on this board that see these cars as junk and will destroy them or do whatever to them just look on Craigslist. And I know not everyone fits into one of these categories exactly but I'm sure we all fit into one of these categories somewhat.

I know what I just wrote seems pointless but let me ask you guys something from the 3 basic groups of 3rd gen owners which one would you rather buy from? I know which group I would want to buy from. To this day I could still show my grandpa a picture of a '57 Chevy or '64 Chevelle and he would say "Boy that would make a nice stock car"

Now that I'm done with all that being said it looks like he has taken really good care of the car. Would it be my first choice? No absolutely not but only because I don't like the 82-84 3rd gens and I don't like CFI as TPI seems to be much more reliable. Maybe he has an important job and doesn't have time to be on this board all the time and if he's not real 3rd gen knowledgeable and was told by a previous owner that it was a special edition and he really believes it then he's not really lying. And if you were to walk down the street and poll 100 people how many of those do you think would be able to tell you this wasn't a factory shifter? My guess would be 1 or 2. Are these people all stupid and jerks too? My point is this guy has taken really good care of this car, at least he had the sense for that. And if I had an extra $5,000 and was into CFI 3rd gens I'd definitely take a look.

I'm sorry I see posts about this all the time where someone posts a car they see on ebay or craigslist and they post it here to laugh at. And if you don't plan on buying it why do you care to post this to begin with? This may sound offensive but it's like seeing the largest woman in church and laughing out loud and pointing her out to everyone if you don't plan on marrying her why do you care?
I'm sorry but I simply disagree. The way I see it, these cars are not yet "classic status" and I also don't see how people can look at this car and see a really nice well-kept thirdgen. Is it a pretty decent car? Sure. It's simply not going to command high dollars though and it annoys me when people treat these things like they are in the league of corvettes and the like.

My car is my fifth car and I got it because it has always been my dream car. I got the CFI because it was a good deal and I jumped on it since it was the only time I had the money around. But I knew good and well it would probably never be worth much. No biggie, it's my car and it's worth a lot to me, especially after the effort I've put into restoring it (it's now appraised for 7k, not that I particularly care).

I think it's absolutely bogus to think people wouldn't think that shifter's aftermarket. Really dude? Do you see a single speck of chrome or brushed aluminum anywhere else on that car? Even if you took a bunch of people, I'm more than certain the majority would say "what the heck is with that shifter?"

This thread is about history and originality. Both are called into question in regard to the auction and both are tremendous factors in determining the value of a vehicle, especially a "classic" like so many of you think you drive. Is this car original? Obviously not. Is the seller advertising it as all-original? You bet. Therein lies the problem, and it is up to the seller to provide honest information to prospective buyers and educate themselves on what they are selling if they want to make any decent amount of money on it.

Get as miffed as you want about people picking on guys for what they post in ads, but I get particularly peeved by this sort of thing. But its your guys' money, so far several people have stepped forward and said they'd pay the asking price, so I guess perhaps I'm more of a stickler.

Last edited by tlandoe; 04-26-2012 at 01:23 AM.
Old 04-26-2012, 02:03 AM

Originally Posted by tlandoe
I'm sorry but I simply disagree. The way I see it, these cars are not yet "classic status" and I also don't see how people can look at this car and see a really nice well-kept thirdgen. Is it a pretty decent car? Sure. It's simply not going to command high dollars though and it annoys me when people treat these things like they are in the league of corvettes and the like.

My car is my fifth car and I got it because it has always been my dream car. I got the CFI because it was a good deal and I jumped on it since it was the only time I had the money around. But I knew good and well it would probably never be worth much. No biggie, it's my car and it's worth a lot to me, especially after the effort I've put into restoring it (it's now appraised for 7k, not that I particularly care).

I think it's absolutely bogus to think people wouldn't think that shifter's aftermarket. Really dude? Do you see a single speck of chrome or brushed aluminum anywhere else on that car? Even if you took a bunch of people, I'm more than certain the majority would say "what the heck is with that shifter?"

This thread is about history and originality. Both are called into question in regard to the auction and both are tremendous factors in determining the value of a vehicle, especially a "classic" like so many of you think you drive. Is this car original? Obviously not. Is the seller advertising it as all-original? You bet. Therein lies the problem, and it is up to the seller to provide honest information to prospective buyers and educate themselves on what they are selling if they want to make any decent amount of money on it.

Get as miffed as you want about people picking on guys for what they post in ads, but I get particularly peeved by this sort of thing. But its your guys' money, so far several people have stepped forward and said they'd pay the asking price, so I guess perhaps I'm more of a stickler.
Cool I'm glad you got the car of your dreams and honestly that is not a sarcastic remark. I too purchased my dream 3rd gen too unfortunately I think it's to far gone to save . I too have the same dreams of restoring a car to perfection not to really care what it's worth. currently I'm looking for a convertible roller as I really wanted a convertible 5 speed to begin with and now I can transfer my good drivetrain into a good body.

I don't want to turn this into a big argument here so I'm just gonna say this, we can all read the history of these cars and it's not hard to figure out what these cars came with from the GM factory but if you have your dream car and obviously have no intentions on purchasing this car I still have to ask why do you care? Honestly if you think the guy's an idiot don't buy it. Simple as that but don't try to run him down for it. When I was 18 I bought a 1997 Camaro 30th Anniversary with a V6 5 speed. In case you don't follow 4th gens they never created such a car, Every 1997 Camaro got 30 of some kind logos imprinted in the seats and somebody painted racing stripes on it but back in 2000 when I bought this car there was no one to "flame" it but guess what I loved it that car rocked at least for an 18 year old kid and now I have found out it wasn't legit but I don't care.

My only point is if you're not interested in buying it why do you care? Just leave it alone and don't buy it, if everybody passes maybe he will wonder why.

Also I am married and I guessing if you would show an interior pic to her and asked her about the shifter she would respond "what's a shifter?" Now my wife is not stupid nor a jerk. What I'm saying is a lot of people don't know what the shifter is let alone if it has matching aluminum anywhere on the car.

Again I'm not trying to start an argument just asking questions.
Old 04-26-2012, 06:19 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Car: 1992 Z28
Engine: 305
Transmission: 5 speed
Axle/Gears: 3.42

Reading thru the ad and I get a different vibe. I'm thinking the guy bought the car and was told this. I'm sure he does not belong to a club or frequent a forum so he probably knows no different. I dont think that he is any less of a person for not spending a bunch of time on a car forum to gain all the knowledge about the car. I dont think any of the people that commented on this person is in any position to purchase his car so why worry about it? I would think if the person that posted it would take the time to inform the seller about the things that dont ad up instead of coming here and insulting their intellegence then maybe one by one people would know what they have. You have some people that mislead on purpose and you can tell that by reading a ad but I dont think so in this case. To each his own though. It is his car and he will ask what he wants for it. No one can argue that. If he finds someone to pay it then good for him. Both sides win. I'm sure we all paid more for something in our lives cause we really wanted it. That does not make us a sucker nor the seller a con artist. That is good old capitalism for you. In my opinion I paid way to much for my car. Not to say the car is crap, it is a good car. The seller was a nice guy. The car had what I wanted, it was in good shape, it was convenient so I paid it. I'm happy, the seller is happy so that is all that matters. But, we are all intitled to our opinions though. The other thing is if someone here is interested in the car they should go out and look at it. You never know what he'd take for it. He may have listed it high to weed out all the tire kickers. If someone was really interested they'd go to him with their best offer and may get it. Ever try to sell a car in the $2 to low $3k range? It is more of a hassle than selling a $20k car.

BTW, the car is not in that bad of shape. For $5k you are going to do some work. If it truly is not rusty and mechanically sound then all you have to do is some cosmetic stuff which is easy and you'd have a nice car with a original look. Which most cars are, very few original ones left.

Last edited by Damon23; 04-26-2012 at 06:25 AM.
Old 04-26-2012, 08:46 AM
Supreme Member

Received 546 Likes on 376 Posts
Car: 1989 IROC-Z. Original owner
Engine: LB9. Dual Cats. Big Cam
Transmission: World Class T-5
Axle/Gears: BW 3.45

I run across alot of people who are uninformed with inaccurate info about their cars and have a belief that their's is some sort of one of one rare model. It's almost impossible to try to educate them in most cases, they simply won't believe you and they will probably get offended. Most of the time you simply have to walk away and let them try and sell it for afew months.

This car would be okay if the buyer were asking $5K, but he/she is not. They have $5K as the opening bid.
Nothing wrong with buying such a car and fixing it. Me personally though, I'm not willing to pay a premium for a car, simply because the owner insists or believes that some tacky aftermarket item is a rare factory performance feature.
Old 04-26-2012, 10:21 AM
Supreme Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Car: 1984 Trans Am
Engine: LT1
Transmission: T56
Axle/Gears: 10 bolt w/ 4.10 gears

I guess we just get a different feeling reading his ad. I see him as a decent guy that has a pretty decent car but he is misinformed on certain aspects of it. Since I dont perceive him as being malicious and trying to deceive someone, I thought it strange that you would mock him. And honestly, the thread title led me to expect a total joke of a car. I expected bondo, bad paint, an ugly spoiler and lime green wheels.

There other area where my opinion differs from yours is that I think these cars can and should be in the same class as corvettes an the earlier generation f-bodies. I rarely see nice ones on the street any more and I think their styling has withstood the test of time. My car is 28 years old, and I decided to modifty it rather than do a stock restoration, but I see no reason why it shouldn't be worthy of the "classic" title. Let's not let the baby-boomers have a monopoly on declaring things they remember fondly from their youth to be Classics! It's our turn to be old! haha

Last edited by JeremyNYR; 04-26-2012 at 10:32 AM.
Old 04-26-2012, 10:48 AM

"B&M tranny?" I think that's a typo as there is no such animal. He probably meant to say "S&M tranny."
Old 04-26-2012, 12:17 PM
Supreme Member

Originally Posted by JeremyNYR
I guess we just get a different feeling reading his ad. I see him as a decent guy that has a pretty decent car but he is misinformed on certain aspects of it. Since I dont perceive him as being malicious and trying to deceive someone, I thought it strange that you would mock him. And honestly, the thread title led me to expect a total joke of a car. I expected bondo, bad paint, an ugly spoiler and lime green wheels.

There other area where my opinion differs from yours is that I think these cars can and should be in the same class as corvettes an the earlier generation f-bodies. I rarely see nice ones on the street any more and I think their styling has withstood the test of time. My car is 28 years old, and I decided to modifty it rather than do a stock restoration, but I see no reason why it shouldn't be worthy of the "classic" title. Let's not let the baby-boomers have a monopoly on declaring things they remember fondly from their youth to be Classics! It's our turn to be old! haha
You've got the gray T/A with the snowflakes? I think that your car rocks! Nicely done.
Old 04-26-2012, 01:15 PM
Supreme Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Car: 1984 Trans Am
Engine: LT1
Transmission: T56
Axle/Gears: 10 bolt w/ 4.10 gears

Originally Posted by chazman
You've got the gray T/A with the snowflakes? I think that your car rocks! Nicely done.
Thanks I was just looking at your thread last night with all 3 of your kick-*** Camaros in your amazing garage and I have to admit that I started drooling! How'd you do that garage floor? It's shinier than most cars I've seen!
Old 04-26-2012, 01:28 PM
Supreme Member

Originally Posted by JeremyNYR
Thanks I was just looking at your thread last night with all 3 of your kick-*** Camaros in your amazing garage and I have to admit that I started drooling! How'd you do that garage floor? It's shinier than most cars I've seen!
Thanks. I might do it differently if I were to do it again, but it's epoxy with a coat of clear epoxy over it.
Old 04-28-2012, 03:57 AM
Supreme Member

Car: 1991 Christine Z28
Engine: RV Cam and Intake 350 SBC
Transmission: 5speed
Axle/Gears: 3.08 ls Posi

That last craigslist ad is kind of odd...an 83 with a 5.0 is a collectible? My car is one of 290 and it isn't a collectible...