History / Originality Got a question about 1982-1992 Camaro or Firebird history? Have a question about original parts, options, RPO codes, when something was available, or how to document your car? Those questions, answers, and much more!

First time buying 3rd gen, what should I look for?

Search this Thread

Old 03-11-2017, 11:38 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
First time buying 3rd gen, what should I look for?

I have $1,500 to spend on a project 3rd gen but I don't have a lot of knowledge of them. What should I look for when buying a 3rd gen? I really wanted the 5.7 with a T5 but I have learned that you cant get that out of the factory, would it be worth getting a camaro with a 350 over 305, and swapping in a t-56? how hard is that?

What are common areas to look at? I looked at a 92 z28 but the rust over the passenger door on the roof and under the roof was too much of a project. I wouldve had to cut the roof off of another camaro and I wasn't willing to do that.

Would it be better to lookout for a 91/92 vs 82-90?

I will be buying an 87 RS as a parts car, the interior is complete and the outside body is in good shape with minimal rust/dents. Not restoring it because there is no title and the dude only wants $500 for it
Old 03-11-2017, 12:30 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Car: 92 Trans Am Conv
Engine: LB9
Transmission: T5
Axle/Gears: 3.08
Re: First time buying 3rd gen, what should I look for?

'Round here $1500 won't get you a car with a drivetrain worth buying.
Sounds to me like you're better off applying for a lost/abandoned title and "restoring" the $500 car. Use the $1500 on a drivetrain.
Old 03-11-2017, 12:45 PM
pgs

Well around my area 1500 could get u a running driving 3rd gen. Just gotta look in the right places.but like ice said, u might be better off trying to get that title, it's doable. Use rest of money on repairs.
Old 03-11-2017, 04:29 PM

Originally Posted by Vanilla Ice
'Round here $1500 won't get you a car with a drivetrain worth buying.
Sounds to me like you're better off applying for a lost/abandoned title and "restoring" the $500 car. Use the $1500 on a drivetrain.
There are a few around me

https://mcallen.craigslist.org/cto/6031101981.html

https://mcallen.craigslist.org/cto/6029510618.html

The sellers have not had the chance to show me the cars, but both of them say the Camaros run and drive just fine and will make it home
Old 03-11-2017, 04:55 PM
Supreme Member

Received 1,052 Likes on 748 Posts

You're on the wrong sub-forum if your plan is to modify. History and Originality...

$1500 isn't much of a budget. You can pick up a basket case for $2k or less, but it's a basket case. Take for example the red RS you linked, first it's as basic as a V8 thirdgen gets. It lacks really desirable options even if it were immaculate. Then you've got huge red flags like missing body parts, and the farm fresh 350 with a Chinese dress-up kit and a spare T5 laying in the backseat. As a general rule, a carb on a thirdgen built after 87 is usually a warning sign. Lack of an aircleaner or it's BFF the hole cut in the hood because most aftermarket carbs, intakes, and aircleaners won't fit under the stock hood are other ways to spot cars to avoid. I don't mean to pick on those cars, but there are virtually tons of poorly modded cars that have been subjected to the wrenches and ignorance of teenagers, and the best thing you can do is avoid those cars like a plague.

Save your money, and buy a nice thirdgen to start with... You'll get a lot more car for your money. A worn out car that hasnt been monkeyed with, is usually a better buy than the modded basket cases.

Get friendly with the search feature and google. After 20+ years, nearly anything you can think of has already been done, documented and discussed in detail, like T56 swaps.
Old 03-12-2017, 10:03 AM

Originally Posted by Drew
You're on the wrong sub-forum if your plan is to modify. History and Originality...

$1500 isn't much of a budget. You can pick up a basket case for $2k or less, but it's a basket case. Take for example the red RS you linked, first it's as basic as a V8 thirdgen gets. It lacks really desirable options even if it were immaculate. Then you've got huge red flags like missing body parts, and the farm fresh 350 with a Chinese dress-up kit and a spare T5 laying in the backseat. As a general rule, a carb on a thirdgen built after 87 is usually a warning sign. Lack of an aircleaner or it's BFF the hole cut in the hood because most aftermarket carbs, intakes, and aircleaners won't fit under the stock hood are other ways to spot cars to avoid. I don't mean to pick on those cars, but there are virtually tons of poorly modded cars that have been subjected to the wrenches and ignorance of teenagers, and the best thing you can do is avoid those cars like a plague.

Save your money, and buy a nice thirdgen to start with... You'll get a lot more car for your money. A worn out car that hasnt been monkeyed with, is usually a better buy than the modded basket cases.

Get friendly with the search feature and google. After 20+ years, nearly anything you can think of has already been done, documented and discussed in detail, like T56 swaps.

thank you for the advice, you saw the car without even seeing the car I did not notice a t5 laying in the backseat. What do you think of the green one? I'm going to look at it today, considering offering $800 and giving it to my little brother who is about to get his license this month haha, he is dying to have a 3rd gen and does not care if it is green.

What are the options to keep an eye out for? I saw a 91 z28 last night, it had a 305 with an auto, power windows, and no t-top.

Old 03-12-2017, 10:16 AM
Supreme Member

Received 124 Likes on 91 Posts
Car: 1989 IROC Convertible
Engine: 350 TPI L98
Transmission: WC T5
Axle/Gears: 3.42

I like the green one.

The red one looks really messed with. The wiring is a mess. I didn't see the engine bay on the green one but if you can get a shot of it, I'd be happy to comment.

Also, the green has T-Tops and and automatic Both of which I think add enjoyment to the car.

You will likely need to fuss with the T-Top seals if they aren't any good.

As far as the Z28, it will be more substantially more fun in the power and handling department but only once you refresh the powertrain and suspension. The interior is pretty good in my book. Seats (the expensive item) appear to be in good shape but the dash cover and door panels are a disaster. Tach looks weird. I would like to see the engine bay.

Provided the engine bays are not a disaster and the cars run well, I would low ball the green or Z28 guy with some money sticking out of your pocket.

Last edited by Tootie Pang; 03-12-2017 at 10:21 AM.
Old 03-12-2017, 10:26 AM

Originally Posted by Tootie Pang
I like the green one.

The red one looks really messed with. The wiring is a mess. I didn't see the engine bay on the green one but if you can get a shot of it, I'd be happy to comment.

Also, the green has T-Tops and and automatic Both of which I think add enjoyment to the car.

You will likely need to fuss with the T-Top seals if they aren't any good.

As far as the Z28, it will be more fun in the power and handling department but only if its been kept up. By now the stock struts, shocks, brakes are shot and need replacement. Adding to the budget.

And, yes, I would low ball the green guy with some money sticking out of your pocket.
the z28 has a bad valve, maybe rounded cam, runs and drives but has no power the way it is right now. Not really as an issue for me as I will be doing a 350 swap. It has 120k miles, so for a 26 year old car it really isnt too bad.

I figured I would offer $700-$800 on the green one, and see if he bites.

However I did offer $2,500 and my archangel mosin for another 91 z28 and im going to look at it today. I don't really like the mods I would rather have had it stock but there is a what looks to be new factory intake being sold near me for $50 so that can be changed to look a little more stock.

I dont know if it would be worth getting the t-top z28 for more then the cost of what i would spend buying both the green rs and the no t-top z28

Old 03-12-2017, 05:32 PM
Supreme Member

Can't tell much from the limited photos of the green car. The white Z doesn't look too bad. A little TLC would probably go a long way.

What I usually look for is a relatively straight body and paint, because body work is a huge money pit to get into. Crash damage that goes beyond the cosmetic panels is absolutely a deal breaker. T-tops are a pain, if you aren't sure you want them, hardtops are where it's at. The later t-top cars are certainly better than early ttop cars.

Next I look at the drivetrain. 87-92 350 TPI cars and 305 TPI/5spd cars rank at the top. The rest of the 305s are pretty much a wash, with a slight preference towards 5spds, TPI, and carbed cars. Something like an 84 Z28 with the 305 HO and a 5spd is a lot more fun to drive than an 89 RS with TBI and an auto. Even with the 305 & 350 TPI cars, you have to look at the details - dual cat cars are nearly always faster. If the RPO code sticker is still in the glovebox or locking compartment in the trunk, I look at the G?? codes to determine the gear ratio. GU5 is 3.23, GU6 is 3.42, generally anything with 3.08 or 2.73 gears is going to be short on performance options. The Borg Warner 9-bolt cars use a few different codes for their axle ratios, it'd be worth looking up those codes and any codes for options that are important to you, and either memorize them or scribble down some notes so you can decode some of the basic RPO codes.

Other codes to look for are FE2 for the level 3 suspension. F41 is level 2 which usually will be lower performance Z28s, Trans Ams, and somewhat improved V8 RS's. Z28 for Z28s, B4Z for 85-87 Irocs, WS4 for T/A's, W66 Formulas, Y84 for GTA, etc.

As a rule, I'd be looking for a straight solid car, that hasnt been messed with too much, with as many performance options as I can find. Making a 305TBI auto RS drive like a Z28 with a 350 TPI will require replacing nearly everything under the skin.
Old 03-12-2017, 07:15 PM
Supreme Member

Received 46 Likes on 37 Posts
Car: 1987 IROC Original Owner
Transmission: M39 MM5
Axle/Gears: G80 G92 J65

White car is the best so far - stop buying parts cars and get the best one you can.
Old 03-12-2017, 07:18 PM

Received 29 Likes on 22 Posts
Car: 92 Z28
Engine: Ramjet 350
Transmission: T-56
Axle/Gears: 3.23 Torsen

Look for a crack iin the frame around were the steering gearbox bolts up.
Old 03-13-2017, 12:55 AM
Supreme Member

Received 47 Likes on 34 Posts
Car: 1991 Camaro B4C
Engine: 305
Transmission: T-5

If you only have $1500, and you have to spend it on a thirdgen vs. saving or spending on something else...

I would put priority on the best body possible - I'd rather have a rust-free, structurally good shell with a shot drivetrain than the opposite.
Old 03-13-2017, 11:00 AM
Supreme Member

^^^ agree. Body and interior
Old 03-13-2017, 10:49 PM

Well guys, I checked out the white z28, and that car does not have a SINGLE spot of rust. Bad news was the title was signed and dated in 2008 but never transfered, thats like a 3000 late fine. The car was bought in 2008 and parked under a car port. Good news is that I was able to track down the original owner who is still on the title and I offered him $100 to take a ride with me to the tax office and get a copy of the title and sign it over to me and he just laughed and said he'd be happy too.

Also to everyone doubting my $1500 budget I PROVED YOU GUYS WRONG lol.

After looking at the white z28 on the way home my brother spotted an 86 covered in leaves at a house in the middle of nowhere. I stopped and knocked on the door and chatted with the owner and he said I could take it for $500 the T-Tops are in AMAZING condition compared to what I have seen. The only rust on this car is in the center of the T-Tops. I am having trouble finding the part I need and its too dark to take a picture now but I will tomorrow. In the center between the two tops is a little metal strip that screws down, im sure you guys know what im talking about. That little metal strip is all rusted out and needs to go, but the rest of the metal around the t-top is rust free. It is a carb 305, but I found someone locally who will sell me a complete 350 TPI with computer, wiring and everything for $300.

I had more then $1500 I was just trying to get a good car for me and a good project car for my little brother and I did just that to about $3000 not including the engine or title transfer/taxes.

Also, I know you guys know what these codes are, I found them in the center console in the 86, is there anything special about it?

Old 03-14-2017, 03:32 AM
Supreme Member

Originally Posted by SuperMacDaddy
Also, I know you guys know what these codes are, I found them in the center console in the 86, is there anything special about it?
It's a Camaro. Looks pretty white bread from the RPOs. It used to be two tone, and if it's an 86 it's got the wrong front bumper on it. Not that it matters, the 82-84 front bumper looks better anyway.

Don't TPI that car. It's an LG4. Lift up the carburetor, slide an old school 350 under it, uncork the exhaust, swap out the salt flat gears, and have fun. No reason to jump through all the TPI hoops, the carb is simpler, will support as much or more power, and all the support systems for it are already there. No reason to reinvent the wheel.
Old 03-14-2017, 06:12 AM
Supreme Member

Received 46 Likes on 37 Posts
Car: 1987 IROC Original Owner
Transmission: M39 MM5
Axle/Gears: G80 G92 J65

I still like the white car better.
Old 03-14-2017, 07:08 AM

im bringing her home today hopefully
Old 03-14-2017, 10:34 AM
Supreme Member

Dude. White car hands down. (If you can avoid that $3K fee which sounds like you can)
Old 03-14-2017, 07:04 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Car: 1989 IROC G92 LB9 MK6
Transmission: MK6
Axle/Gears: 3.45

White car gets my vote.
Old 03-14-2017, 11:07 PM
On Probation

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
Car: 1982 Trans Am KITT Replica
Engine: LU5 305 CROSSFIRE
Transmission: TH-350
Axle/Gears: Limited Slip 3:23

100%........White Car

'91-92 third gens are the BEST built out of all em !!

Dave