History / Originality Got a question about 1982-1992 Camaro or Firebird history? Have a question about original parts, options, RPO codes, when something was available, or how to document your car? Those questions, answers, and much more!

Dealer code - Please Help !

Search this Thread

Old 04-15-2021, 10:21 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Car: Camaro Z28 1982 and Camaro 1LT 2017
Engine: 5.7L (1982) 2.0L turbo (2017)
Transmission: Automatic (both)
Axle/Gears: IDK !
Dealer code - Please Help !

Hi !

On my build sheet for my 1982 Z28 Camaro (Norwood), it says "charge to 96-249". I understand it's the dealer code, but I can't find where it is. I suppose it's in Ottawa, Ontario, Canada but I may be wrong. Somebody knows if there's a list of dealer codes somewhere ?

Also I have a "routing code" which is "VW3". I wonder what it means... It also says "Ramp-Windsor, Ont". What "Ramp" means ?

Thanks for your help !
Old 04-15-2021, 01:50 PM

Received 171 Likes on 106 Posts
Re: Dealer code - Please Help !

Ramp is probably where it was unloaded from a rail car.
Old 04-15-2021, 03:56 PM
Supreme Member

Location: *member since 1999, I think - just can't remember my old name, and the big site crash...*
Received 151 Likes on 105 Posts
Car: 89 GTA ASC Conv., Prev: 89 GTA 6.3L
Engine: 5.7L L98 TPI
Transmission: 700r4 Automatic
Axle/Gears: 3.27:1 w/ JG1 Options:B2L, N10, U1A

96 is a Canadian Code, for sure.

This is the only one which I could find, but it does not specify it's a Pontiac Dealer, just gives the GM Code. Should be your dealer though... Pontiac franchise is gone, of course.

96-249 GARAGE MCCONNERY (1983) INC. MANIWAKI QC CANADA

96249-Garage McConnery (1983) Inc.-Maniwaki QC 96250
Old 04-16-2021, 04:27 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Car: Camaro Z28 1982 and Camaro 1LT 2017
Engine: 5.7L (1982) 2.0L turbo (2017)
Transmission: Automatic (both)
Axle/Gears: IDK !

Originally Posted by Big&BadGTA
96 is a Canadian Code, for sure.

This is the only one which I could find, but it does not specify it's a Pontiac Dealer, just gives the GM Code. Should be your dealer though... Pontiac franchise is gone, of course.

96-249 GARAGE MCCONNERY (1983) INC. MANIWAKI QC CANADA

96249-Garage McConnery (1983) Inc.-Maniwaki QC 96250
Thanks for that... What's weird is that my car was bought in Quebec city which is really far away from Maniwaki, like 6 hours or so !

Where did you find that info ?

Last edited by Sandy Sodini; 04-16-2021 at 04:31 AM.
Old 04-16-2021, 03:03 PM
Supreme Member

Location: *member since 1999, I think - just can't remember my old name, and the big site crash...*

Originally Posted by Sandy Sodini
Thanks for that... What's weird is that my car was bought in Quebec city which is really far away from Maniwaki, like 6 hours or so !

Where did you find that info ?

Vehicles are dealer traded all the time. The one listed, is where the car was ordered, but it could have not sold quickly, or or some other reason, got sold to another dealer. Happens all the time.
Old 04-16-2021, 03:50 PM
JT
Community Administrator

Received 260 Likes on 186 Posts

Originally Posted by Sandy Sodini
Hi !

On my build sheet for my 1982 Z28 Camaro (Norwood), it says "charge to 96-249". I understand it's the dealer code, but I can't find where it is. I suppose it's in Ottawa, Ontario, Canada but I may be wrong. Somebody knows if there's a list of dealer codes somewhere ?

Also I have a "routing code" which is "VW3". I wonder what it means... It also says "Ramp-Windsor, Ont". What "Ramp" means ?

Thanks for your help !
The build sheet would not just list the dealer code, but the entire Bill To and Ship To dealership name and address. Is that missing from your build sheet? It's located in the lower-left corner.

As Big&BadGTA said, it's not unusual for a new car to get transferred as part of a dealership trade between two dealerships. If a dealership has a customer looking for a specific car and the dealership locates one from another dealership, they work out a trade deal to bring the car to their dealership so that they can then sell it to their customer. The buildsheet will not reflect this because the buildsheet is done up before the car is delivered to the original dealership and it's not reprinted with the change.
Old 04-17-2021, 11:55 AM
Supreme Member

Received 753 Likes on 579 Posts
Car: 1988 Trans Am
Engine: L03
Transmission: 700R4
Axle/Gears: 10 Bolt 2.73 Open

Originally Posted by Big&BadGTA
Vehicles are dealer traded all the time. The one listed, is where the car was ordered, but it could have not sold quickly, or or some other reason, got sold to another dealer. Happens all the time.
When I traded my '91 RS in on a new S-10 extended cab in '92, the dealer that had the truck I wanted was quite a ways from home. The local dealer that was offering me the most money for my trade-in swapped with that faw-away dealer for a truck the local dealer had in their inventory. So if you look at my old S-10's window sticker, it was ordered by and shipped to a dealer in Walled Lake, MI. But I bought it new from a dealer in Rochester, MI.

Old 04-17-2021, 05:41 PM
Supreme Member

Received 426 Likes on 257 Posts
Car: 92 Heritage Camaro Z28
Engine: 350 TPI
Transmission: auto
Axle/Gears: 3.23 Limited Slip

Trades always happen at dealerships.

My son brought his 2019 challenger scat pack from a dealer who traded it for another challenger in Austin.
w
Old 04-18-2021, 09:43 AM
Supreme Member

Originally Posted by topduarte
Trades always happen at dealerships.

While true, trades "always happen" at dealerships, they also do not always happen. Let me explain...

In 2000, my wife wanted a 4 door. We decided a Pontiac GTP would be ideal. The one we found at the local dealer had red overspray on the rear 1/4 glass. Salesdork said it was from when the car was built, paint spray got on the glass. Yeah, right. Car was wrecked, and took 2 tries to close the rear door. Brand new car.

I contacted the buying service my employer used and they told me there were two others in the a 50 mile radius with the specs we wanted, but when we went to the one dealer, car was gone. Never found it... Whatever... (We had to buy through a specific dealer, BTW, so a DX, or Dealer Exchange was going to have to happen...)

The buying service dealer would not tell us which dealers had the cars, but with so few Pontiac dealers, it wasn't hard to figure out.

So the second car was in the showroom, right where I figured it would be... Walked in, looked at it, no damage... But it was not a GTP. It was an aftermarket GTX model. Had a Ram Air hood, exhaust, and wheels. Looked interesting enough, but that dealer would not budge on the price. Looking at the stock number, it was an EARLY car for the year. Low stock number. It was about to have a birthday on the lot... Still, they wanted FULL MSRP.

I called back to the buyers service dealer and told them to get the car. They claimed they would sell it to me for $200 over invoice.

Tuesday turned to Wednesday, to Friday night... I told them, if they don't get the car, I bet the dealer puts a spiff on the car and it's sold Saturday. Sure enough, we never heard from buyers service dealer and with that, drive to the dealer who hd the car... Guess what? It's not on the showroom floor... Could not see it from the lot. I asked a salesguy walking the lot, where did the Red Pontiac go? He said it sold around lunchtime. Shocker.

So while a DX can happen every day, the dealer who HAS the car, SETS THE PRICE and the other dealer might not jump at that, etc.