Interior Discussion about interior restoration, repairs, and modifications.

Clunk in drivers door/door panel removal

Search this Thread

Old 10-02-2007, 06:27 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Clunk in drivers door/door panel removal

I got a clunking noise in my door when I hit bumps. I wanna to check the inside of the door but I don't know how to remove the door panel. How do you take the door panel off?
Old 10-02-2007, 09:37 PM
Supreme Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Car: 04 Silverado
Engine: 4.8
Transmission: auto
Re: Clunk in drivers door/door panel removal

Originally Posted by rs90 driver
I got a clunking noise in my door when I hit bumps. I wanna to check the inside of the door but I don't know how to remove the door panel. How do you take the door panel off?
Get a sawzall and a 20 pound sledge and blast away, the panel will eventually give and so will the door Just messing with you, I know the search function is sort of down but you can still search using the google feature
Old 10-10-2007, 09:37 PM

rs90, the door panel is held on by snap clips around the perimeter and about a half dozen or so torque bit style bolts/screws. The problem is, if you have not worked on one before, some are dummy screws, some actually hold things together, LOL.

Problem is, removing the door panel is the easy part, repairing the noises will take some real work, or money, maybe both.

Most of the rattles are from the down stops if it rattles when down. Most of the window up or part way up rattles are from the front glass guide, under the rear veiw mirror inside the door. The rubber deteriorates so bad, it lets teh glass bang around on the metal. Sometimes the linkage rods also make some noise, if someone didn't reinstall them correctly, guides or clips are broken, etc.

The last thing to look at is the upper window felts, inside on the door panel upper trim and outside on the inner edge of the weatherstrip.

So, getting the door panel off is the easy part, .

Maybe someone local can help you out?

...Jim
Old 10-11-2007, 05:50 AM

Received 93 Likes on 68 Posts
Car: Met. Silver 85 IROC/Sold
Engine: 350 HO Deluxe (350ci/330hp)
Transmission: T-5 (Non-WC)
Axle/Gears: Limited Slip 3.23's

While you're inside the door panel:

https://www.thirdgen.org/forums/body...servation.html

JamesC
Old 12-10-2007, 05:11 PM

Car: 2002 MINI Cooper S
Engine: 1.6L Inline 4 Supercharged
Transmission: 6 SPD

Are these snap clips still in stock? if not where can new replacements be found.

I have a feeling I'm gonna break a few.
Old 12-10-2007, 07:37 PM

Kscamaro, some dealers may have inventory on some of the items, since alot of things interchange up to 1992. If not you'll need someone like one of the advertisers on the 3rd gen forum, . I find alot of stuff on ebay, but be carefull with used parts, since you may buy something like the borderline stuff you already have. Look for new old stock, or reproduction new parts.

I have also had some luck looking at better auto parts stores for generic clips, retainers, rubber for making some anti rattle glass pads, etc.

...Jim
W.E.D.
Old 12-10-2007, 07:50 PM

you can still get them from gm i have a couple of bags they come in 10 pack bags
Old 06-02-2008, 07:35 PM

Car: 85 z-28 and 96 z-28
Engine: 383 storker and a 350LT1
Transmission: 700R4 and 4L60E
Axle/Gears: 3.23 and 3.73

well i need to replace the window motor in the driver door and the only thing left holding the door panel on is the top peace with the window seal and i dont know how to get it off with out brakeing it please help
Old 06-02-2008, 09:13 PM

Originally Posted by bkcamaro
well i need to replace the window motor in the driver door and the only thing left holding the door panel on is the top peace with the window seal and i dont know how to get it off with out brakeing it please help
https://www.thirdgen.org/forums/inte...pper-door.html

JamesC

Last edited by JamesC; 06-03-2008 at 06:20 AM.
Old 06-03-2008, 10:19 PM

BK, in case I may be able to help, i'll post what I do to get it off.

It takes some patience, but if you push in and then up, at the rear edge, then middle, towards the front about 6 inches apart each time, it should come right off. If the "catch" is pushed up before pushing in, it wedges in tighter and won't release. Don't lift the door panel away from the door first either, since this wedges the "catches" also.

_
\ <,this is what it looks like when you are looking at the door panel from the left of this diagram, there are several of these catches to release to be able to lift up on the door panel.

Good luck!

...Jim
W.E.D.
Old 04-04-2009, 12:17 AM
Supreme Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Car: 1990
Engine: 305
Transmission: 700r4
Axle/Gears: stock

Originally Posted by wedjim
rs90, the door panel is held on by snap clips around the perimeter and about a half dozen or so torque bit style bolts/screws. The problem is, if you have not worked on one before, some are dummy screws, some actually hold things together, LOL.

Problem is, removing the door panel is the easy part, repairing the noises will take some real work, or money, maybe both.

Most of the rattles are from the down stops if it rattles when down. Most of the window up or part way up rattles are from the front glass guide, under the rear veiw mirror inside the door. The rubber deteriorates so bad, it lets teh glass bang around on the metal. Sometimes the linkage rods also make some noise, if someone didn't reinstall them correctly, guides or clips are broken, etc.

The last thing to look at is the upper window felts, inside on the door panel upper trim and outside on the inner edge of the weatherstrip.

So, getting the door panel off is the easy part, .

Maybe someone local can help you out?

...Jim
speak for yourself. removing the panels is the hard part. that bit about lifting and pressing and doing it from the front, after you use a special tool [cheap you can get it at pepboys] to release all those plastic push pins - IS A PAIN. someone hi up in gm management had a kid just got out of engineering school and thought up the worst possible system to put panels in, and take them out.
REMEMBER TO START FROM THE FRONT NOT THE BACK - AT LEAST ON MY 90 CAMARO. IF YOU START FROM THE BACK ITS CLOSE TO IMPOSSIBLE TO GET THE FRONT DONE, BECAUSE YOU KEEP PUTTING THE MIDDLE BACK INTO THE LOCK POSITION.
you will see what i mean when you start on it.
AND GET A MANUAL, LOOK ON THE NET FOR DETAILED INSTRUCTIONS, OR YOU WILL GO NUTS!
THERE WERE NEVER MADE TO ACTUALLY TAKE OUT. WHAT A PAIN!

Last edited by tony_cogliandro; 04-04-2009 at 12:20 AM.
Old 04-04-2009, 07:17 AM

Back from the dead?

JamesC