Interior Discussion about interior restoration, repairs, and modifications.

HOW DO YOU REPLACE/ REMOVE THE WHOLE STEERING COLUMN ON A 92 CAMARO RS???

Search this Thread

Old 08-01-2010, 06:54 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Car: 1992 Camaro RS 25th Anniversary
Transmission: Manual
HOW DO YOU REPLACE/ REMOVE THE WHOLE STEERING COLUMN ON A 92 CAMARO RS???

hey i have a 1992 Camaro RS and im looking to replace the whole steering column with a better one so i wont have any problems starting the car( plus when i bought the car, the previous owner had a later year steering column installed and i bought the RIGHT year steering column for it...)...sooo how do i remove the steering column and install the better one? Please describe this in detail, because in very new to the steer column area, i can also post pictures of it if you need...thanks
Old 08-01-2010, 07:13 PM

Car: 1982 z28
Engine: 400
Transmission: 700r4
Axle/Gears: 3:23
Re: HOW DO YOU REPLACE/ REMOVE THE WHOLE STEERING COLUMN ON A 92 CAMARO RS???

well thats a little more tricky than youd think...replacing the column is very simple take down trim panel under dash... 3 screws at the firewall and 4 bolts hold the steering column in the car,,, than one bolt under the hood holds the steering column to linkage... than just unplug and go

the problem your going to run into is with your anti theft device yours is a 92 so i think it has passkey (possibly vatts not sure what 92 had for certain)
unless you took the passkey module out of the car you to the column out of ?
Old 08-01-2010, 08:21 PM

yeah i have the passkey too...so how do you take that out?? Appreciate the information though
Old 08-02-2010, 01:32 PM

and yeah it does have vatts...so would i need a pljx bypass kit first to install the other steering column?
Old 08-02-2010, 02:11 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Car: 92 RS
Engine: a slow one
Transmission: a crunchy one
Axle/Gears: a whiny one

Is your column being a problem confirmed? You might be causing more problems by creating new ones before another is fixed. There isn't much in a column itself that will break and not allow you to start it besides an ignition switch or a VATS lock cylinder. Its usually something else. Just something to think about.

You say "later" column... Yet you have the last year of these cars. Did you mean from a 4th generation Camaro? Or from any later GM car? It kind of leaves us hanging, and wondering what situation you have here.

If your car has functioning VATS (Vehicle Anti Theft System) the column still doesn't matter too much as long as your lock cylinders are interchangeable. The only thing for VATS in your column is two white wires that run up the length of it, and connect to the ignition lock cylinder. They sense the resistance of the key. If your new and old columns have interchangeable cylinders (probably do if the car still has VATS working) you should have no problems. If they are different cylinders, you'll have to buy a new VATS lock cylinder and key for your new column as the previous owner did for the one you have, and snake the wires back down your column to connect it to the VATS connector.

I have a suspicion your car probably was not done the "right" way though (just because that is the usual) for a column swap with VATS. They probably just jumped the VATS connection under your dash with the resistor matching the resistance in your key. You should check to see if your VATS connection under the dash is still hooked up properly to affirm or deny this before you get started to avoid headaches. Search for "vats bypass" on this site and you will come up with all of the info you need in those threads. The VATS is very simple and easy to understand, you shouldn't have much of a problem doing this swap if you have a bolt-in column.
Old 08-02-2010, 08:45 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Car: 92 RS
Engine: a slow one
Transmission: a crunchy one
Axle/Gears: a whiny one

I also don't think the 4th gen columns work. So you might have a column from any number of GM vehicles that may or may not have had VATS.

I'd try to fix the starting problem if the column is fine besides that.
Old 08-03-2010, 03:02 PM

Yeah the column thats currently installed is really nothing but a bunch of wires hanging out, where i have to pull a grey stick to start it, with the lock cylinder (two white wires hotwired to it) positioned underneath the column held in place by some metal...i defintely think your right about that car not being done the right way...thats the main reason why i want to switch it out...as for which year or generation this column is...well, its kind of hard to explain...because i've been researching its style, (fully padded steering wheel with four legs coming out the center and a slit across the middle and "CAMARO" written above it) and i could've sworn i've seen that exact type in a 4th gen (i could be wrong though)...the tricky thing is that when i went to go purchase another steering column from a junkyard, we found a 92 camaro where the steering wheel was a completely different style (metal painted black with the camaro SYMBOL in the center and sewn leather around the three legs) and i got that one
Old 05-06-2011, 06:48 AM

Car: 91 camaro rs
Engine: 305 (350 vortec in dec.)
Transmission: Wc-T5
Axle/Gears: 3.08 (3.42 in dec.)

What would I do if the steering column is broke at the tilt part? I have a 92 rs 305 wc-t5. The inspector broke my column by pulling himself out the car using my steering wheel. I have to pull down, slightly to the left, til the tilt is straight, then crank it, and the same to cut the car off, how do I fix that?