Interior Discussion about interior restoration, repairs, and modifications.

Steering Column Cover Repair Help.

Search this Thread

Old 09-02-2013, 12:08 AM

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Car: 89' IROC-Z
Engine: HSR B2L 350ci w/LT4 hotcam and AFR 195's
Transmission: Transgo'd 700R w/Yank 2800
Axle/Gears: 9 Bolt, 3.45
Steering Column Cover Repair Help.

I bought a column collar sleeve from steeringcolumnservices.com (even though it was heavily nicked), a new blinker switch, and a NOS gm dimmer switch cap. All 3 pieces off my original column were damaged during a failed hot wire attempt.

I sanded, primed & painted the new covers with duplicolor trim paint.
I am getting a wheel puller & lock plate rental tool from autozone to try and take it apart and start my replacement.

Both videos show a loose column repair on a GM but they both leave the part I need to replace hanging with the wiring attached through it, not removed. There is a big white plastic plate that the wires appear to be riveted to in the videos which may prevent the collar to be removed without cutting the wires and re-attaching them.

I know the set of wires can be un-plugged under the dash somewhere, but I do not think the entire harness can be snaked back through.

Any advice before I start this?
Old 09-02-2013, 12:27 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Car: 1990 Camaro RS
Engine: L31
Transmission: 700R4
Re: Steering Column Cover Repair Help.

That is the turn signal switch, it can be unplugged under the dash and snaked up. It's not as hard as it looks. Here it is out of the column:

http://www.autozone.com/autozone/par...ier=65848_0_0_
Old 09-02-2013, 12:30 AM

thanks for the reply, however these are the parts I am replacing. Not just the switch. Even if you are referring to the wiring connector, how can that entire plug be snaked back through the column?
MY NEW PARTS:

MY OLD PARTS:

Old 09-02-2013, 12:46 AM

You turn the plug sideways and stuff it down the hole. I have done it a few times. It really does fit. You will have an advantage of having the bowl off so you can put it down the bowl and then the rest of the column before you bolt the bowl down. The steering column is not as intimidating as it looks. The new repair parts will really make your interior a lot nicer, good luck and let me know how it goes.
Old 09-02-2013, 01:00 AM

Originally Posted by Spaceboy1980
You turn the plug sideways and stuff it down the hole. I have done it a few times. It really does fit. You will have an advantage of having the bowl off so you can put it down the bowl and then the rest of the column before you bolt the bowl down. The steering column is not as intimidating as it looks. The new repair parts will really make your interior a lot nicer, good luck and let me know how it goes.
OK, so to get it out, go from underneath and unplug it. Then it can be pulled up all the way through and out? Then for re-assembly, run the plug on its side and then down and it will go through?

Thanks for you super quick help man! Now I'm not so worried.

Steve
Old 09-02-2013, 01:38 AM

I ran out and took a picture of my parts column I have for you.

Name:  temporary_zpse6e15a7c.jpg
Views: 521
Size:  92.6 KB

The hole at the top is where the harness will snake through. It's a tight fit, but it will go. There may be a cover over the wires on the underside, but that will slide off pretty easy.

Do you have the tools for this? You will need a steering wheel puller and a lock spring compressor or else you cannot do the job. Once you have done a few of them, you can actually do it fairly quickly, lol.
Old 09-02-2013, 01:41 AM

I ran out and took a picture of my parts column I have for you.

The hole at the top is where the harness will snake through. It's a tight fit, but it will go. There may be a cover over the wires on the underside, but that will slide off pretty easy.

Do you have the tools for this? You will need a steering wheel puller and a lock spring compressor or else you cannot do the job. Once you have done a few of them, you can actually do it fairly quickly, lol.
http://www.autozone.com/autozone/acc...er=555516_0_0_

http://www.autozone.com/autozone/acc...er=112102_0_0_

These are the tools I am using, autozone rentals.

Steve
Old 09-02-2013, 01:50 AM

Just to clarify something, on my picture, the column is upside down, that hole will be on the bottom.

You're good to go on tools, the hardest part is getting the lock ring off after compressing the lock plate. I used a couple of picks with 90 degree ends.

After you get the lock plate off, unscrew the turn signal switch, and remove the horn ring, you can pull the wiring out about 6-8 inches. Remove the screw holding the ignition switch in and it will slip out the side. That will then let you unscrew the bowl. Don't forget to unplug your cruise wand and turn signal switch. All the wiring will come out from the bottom, it may be easier to pull the bowl up while fishing the wires out. Same with going in, fish your turn signal wires through the bowl and then down the column as you put the bowl in position.

Before you put it all back together though, it would be a great time to tighten your tilt as well and make sure your bushings are not walking out on the sides.

I hope I didn't leave anything out, it's been a while since I've done one.

Last edited by Spaceboy1980; 09-02-2013 at 01:58 AM.
Old 09-08-2013, 09:56 PM

Just to clarify something, on my picture, the column is upside down, that hole will be on the bottom.

You're good to go on tools, the hardest part is getting the lock ring off after compressing the lock plate. I used a couple of picks with 90 degree ends.

After you get the lock plate off, unscrew the turn signal switch, and remove the horn ring, you can pull the wiring out about 6-8 inches. Remove the screw holding the ignition switch in and it will slip out the side. That will then let you unscrew the bowl. Don't forget to unplug your cruise wand and turn signal switch. All the wiring will come out from the bottom, it may be easier to pull the bowl up while fishing the wires out. Same with going in, fish your turn signal wires through the bowl and then down the column as you put the bowl in position.

Before you put it all back together though, it would be a great time to tighten your tilt as well and make sure your bushings are not walking out on the sides.

I hope I didn't leave anything out, it's been a while since I've done one.

Alright, I will first say there is no way in hell you can get any of those wires pulled through the column....UNLESS you unbolt the column support brace from underneath the dash. Once that is unbolted (6 13mm bolts I believe) you can open up the plastic harness sleeve and set it aside and start slipping the wires through.

If that support cover isn't removed, there is too much force pushing up on the plastic sleeve and holding the column in place, you cannot get any wire connectors to fit through, it has to be unbolted for slack.

It took me about 3 hours but i got everything off and replaced last night.
Unfortunately i did not properly align my turn signal lever during the install and the pull forward/push back part of the mechanism is not catching so my brights aren't working. Ahhh I have to do it over.

Oh well I figured i would rip into it again this afternoon since I'm familiar with all the parts now...but problem #3,405 with this install was my Grant steering wheel hub somehow got locked onto the column shaft like a mother. Which is weird because it came off easy last night?

Of course my steering wheel puller doesn't work on a grant hub since its a funky design.
Off to O'reailys tomorrow because they have a grant brand hub & wheel puller in stock for 12 bucks.

Will post pics soon, it looks a lot better.

Spaceboy!

Last edited by 89Kicker_IROC-Z; 09-08-2013 at 09:57 PM. Reason: grammar
Old 09-08-2013, 10:27 PM

I forgot about the wire cover underneath, glad you got it. The plastic piece that links the bright light switch to the turn signal lever can be a pain. What I do is put a little grease on the part it slides in to hold it. Keep at it, you'll get it! Little repairs make a huge difference in the interior.
Old 09-09-2013, 01:48 AM

I forgot about the wire cover underneath, glad you got it. The plastic piece that links the bright light switch to the turn signal lever can be a pain. What I do is put a little grease on the part it slides in to hold it. Keep at it, you'll get it! Little repairs make a huge difference in the interior.
Its already covered in orange-ish grease from 1989 and im pretty sure its metal. <- CORRECTION, I TOTALLY LOST THIS PEICE IN THE CARPET! No wonder the brights didnt work.
But after you remove it, trying to figure out how it goes back in is a PITA. <- I was referring to the turn signal metal connector, not the plastic peice that I didnt even realize was AWOL.

Last edited by 89Kicker_IROC-Z; 09-09-2013 at 09:37 PM.
Old 09-09-2013, 09:30 PM

Originally Posted by 89Kicker_IROC-Z
Its already covered in orange-ish grease from 1989 and im pretty sure its metal.
But after you remove it, trying to figure out how it goes back in is a PITA.
Finished it up today, what a huge pain it was...glad its over though!

Old 09-09-2013, 10:40 PM

Looks great, huge improvement!
Old 11-14-2013, 11:11 AM

Car: 1989 iroc-z conv
Engine: 305 tb
Transmission: auto

Have you heard of any problem reinstalling the lock plate? I have a 1989 iroc-z, if i push the lock plate down enough to get clip in , the turn signal switch won't work because it is being smashed by lock plate? And steering hard to turn.
Old 11-14-2013, 04:10 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Car: 1991 Z28 1LE
Engine: LS1
Transmission: T56
Axle/Gears: 3.42

Originally Posted by osco
Have you heard of any problem reinstalling the lock plate? I have a 1989 iroc-z, if i push the lock plate down enough to get clip in , the turn signal switch won't work because it is being smashed by lock plate? And steering hard to turn.
Are the grooves on the lock plate lined up correctly?
Old 11-14-2013, 09:34 PM

Originally Posted by osco
You use a tool to push the lock plate inwards, slip the clip on and remove the tool. The clip keeps the lock plate on. It should be under heavy spring tension.
Old 11-14-2013, 11:00 PM

Car: 1989 iroc-z conv
Engine: 305 tb
Transmission: auto

I understand this, but when clip is in place, the lock plate is smashed up against the turn signal mechanism and won't allow it to move. Yes , line up ok. removal tool will allow you to bearly get the clip in, seams to stop solid. It seems the shaft should come up a 3/16 farther. I have done this job before to other vehicles. Thanks, osco