Interior Discussion about interior restoration, repairs, and modifications.

Gauge swap question

Search this Thread

Old 07-09-2018, 02:10 PM

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Car: 1985 Trans Am
Engine: 5.0 305 High Output V8
Transmission: T5 Manual
Axle/Gears: Yup, still there
Gauge swap question

I found a guy locally who's parting out a 1990 Firebird. I was mostly interested in the headliner, but I also started eyeing the gauges. As it has the electronic speedo that goes above 85mph, I'm interested in buying the gauge cluster as well for my '85. But before I put any money down, I wanted to check out a few things. I tried the search function, but I didn't seem to find the exact scenario I'm hoping for, so my apologies if I missed an old post that answers my questions.

I know I'll need to the adapter from Dakota Digital to get my cable driven setup to work with the new speedometer. But will any of the other gauges work with the existing connections to my 85's circuit board and gauges? Or to put it differently, will my older circuit board connections be compatible with the newer gauge cluster?

The other question I have is related to the temp and gas gauges in the new cluster. I've got either faulty gas and temp gauges in my existing cluster, or wiring/connection problems elsewhere. If I just wanted to cannibalize just the temp/gas gauges out of the newer cluster to test and possibly swap with my '85 gauges, would they be compatible and work in place of my existing gas/temp gauges? Or will they require the whole cluster and circuit board from the '90 in order to work?
Old 02-10-2019, 06:42 PM

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts
Car: 1985 Pontiac Firebird S/E
Engine: 350, .5 lift cam, Holly 650
Transmission: Monster Transmission 700R4-2K stall
Axle/Gears: 4th gen 10 bolt, 3.42
Re: Gauge swap question

I'm kind of curious about this same topic. I really want to get rid of the 85mph cable driven speedo, in exchange for a 145mph speedo. Also want to get a 8k rpm tach. Have you had any luck with this?
Old 04-08-2019, 02:29 AM

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Car: 1985 Trans Am
Engine: 5.0 305 High Output V8
Transmission: T5 Manual
Axle/Gears: Yup, still there
Re: Gauge swap question

Well, to update, my quest for knowledge wound up costing me the gauge cluster. While I was trying to find out whether they'd work or not, someone else swooped in and bought them. Given what he would have sold them for and what they're selling for on eBay, I probably should have just bought them and worst case scenario flipped them on eBay myself. Oh well, live and learn.