ABS HARDTOP HEADLINER VS OEM - Third Generation F-Body Message Boards

Go Back  Third Generation F-Body Message Boards > Tech Boards > Interior
Reload this Page >

ABS HARDTOP HEADLINER VS OEM

Interior Discussion about interior restoration, repairs, and modifications.

Old 01-19-2019, 06:40 PM
BHR

Car: Multiple 91-92 Camaro Z28s
Engine: Gen II SBC's
Axle/Gears: 3.23

pics for those would think about buying the aftermarket plastic abs headliner for hard top, couldn't find many after pics on here except for one guy in car after install but he didnt have the A-pillars on to show how bad it is

basically the abs headliners (think there all the same) i bought mine from rock auto 170 shipped arent long enough, besides the fact that they are much heavier, the shape isnt correct, and has the bar down the middle

i was on the classifieds a bout a week ago looking for a original one but was finally able to get my hands on one from a junk yard for 40 bucks gonna reinforce it and recover it along with deleting the sun visors and dome light holes

before i sell, return, or throw out the new abs headliner i thought id take some pics now that i have the two together keep in mind that i also modified the abs board by un glueing the fabric on the front two corners and reglueing it down in a different position to make it a bit wider to hide the gap shown in last 2 pics

Last edited by BHR; 01-21-2019 at 08:43 PM.
Old 01-19-2019, 06:41 PM
BHR

Re: ABS HARDTOP HEADLINER VS OEM

Old 01-19-2019, 06:42 PM
BHR

last 2 pics show how i modified the abs board by reglueing the front coners a little wider first few show original under and over the abs headliner
Old 01-20-2019, 11:25 PM

Car: 87 GTA
Engine: LQ4
Transmission: 4L60e
Axle/Gears: Ford 8.8 3.55 gears

I had this issue on the abs one i bought from hawks. it was at least an inch short all the way around
Old 01-21-2019, 08:55 PM
BHR

Originally Posted by punkmaster98 View Post
I had this issue on the abs one i bought from hawks. it was at least an inch short all the way around
i got my car with an abs headliner it was installed really bad and the front by the windshield was warped (another bad thing about the plastic backing) so it was hanging down i was able to sell that one and thought just maybe the original owner didnt take his time to install it

been driving headliner less since then and thought id buy another aftermarket abs headliner hoping the original owner installed it wrong.. nope was the same

i did get it to fit pretty good by moving the headliner toward the front windshield to cover the gaps around the A pillars but then the back was short so i had to unglue and reglue the fabric to "make" it longer in the end though i was within return period so i sent it back right after i found a original one

this was the only other pics i found but doesnt do justice since he doesnt have the trim on but you can see alot of black on his front windshield meaning the headliner isnt long enough he also has a pretty good sized dimple warpage by his dome light

https://www.thirdgen.org/forums/inte...headliner.html

dont think its worth the almost 200 i paid and 3-400 other vendors are selling them for and forget about the t-top version