LTX and LSX Putting LT1s, LS1s, and their variants into Third Gens is becoming more popular. This board is for those who are doing and have done the swaps so they can discuss all of their technical aspects including repairs, swap info, and performance upgrades.

Easier to start with a rolling body?

Old 02-11-2014, 01:04 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Easier to start with a rolling body?

Hey everybody,
New to the forum here. I've been lurking for a while but this is my first post. Seems like a great deal of information to be had here. I've read a lot of the threads regarding LS swaps into third gens and it may be a project I'd like to undertake.

Anyways, I'm not new to wrenching, just new to third gens. Most of my experience is with diesel trucks but performance upgrades are too darn expensive for me to consider anything serious (full motor builds end up being $10-20k depending on just how ridiculous you want to get). Anyways, my goal would be a third gen (camaro, firebird, doesn't matter to me) with ~400 whp if possible. After doing a bunch of reading on this forum as well as other web sites I think I'm primarily interested in swapping a 5.3L in. My question is, is it easier to just start with a rolling body, given that very few components will be shared between a 305 and an LM7? For me that seems like a logical place to start especially given that I have seen some rolling bodies as low as $600.

Thanks
Old 02-11-2014, 07:21 PM

Re: Easier to start with a rolling body?

I am in your same boat new to the 3rdgen butn I am going with a lq4 I am going with a v8 car as my foundation either a 89-92 so it can be easier for the t56 and hopefully I can use some factory suspension
Old 02-12-2014, 11:52 AM

Received 35 Likes on 34 Posts
Car: 82 Berlinetta/57 Bel Air
Engine: LS1/LQ4
Transmission: 4L60E/4L80E
Axle/Gears: 12B-3.73/9"-3.89
Welcome aboard thirdgen.org.

I moved this to the LTx and LSx Engine Swap subforum, since that seems to be the direction you're headed.

400 whp takes a lot of crank HP. Not that it isn't possible with a 5.3, but for best driveability, you'll probably want a power adder (turbo, super charger) for that power level. On the other hand, you can get a 480 crank HP 6.2l crate engine that would be there without any mods.

Whether or not it's better to start with a running car or roller is too open ended a question for 22+ year old cars. An argument could be made for a running car so you can sell off removed stuff, or for a roller if available work space is limited.

I'd say overall condition should be the deciding factor. Going with a later year with electronic speedometer also has merit. But, bottom line is, most any non-rust-bucket 3rd gen is a viable candidate.
Old 02-12-2014, 12:12 PM
Supreme Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Chances are, if a car is being sold as a roller, there's gonna be other stuff besides simply the engine and trans that you will have to source. I agree with five7kid about condition being the deciding factor, but as far as buying a running car, there's not really a whole lot of desirable parts that you can sell off... I got around $500 for all the OE stuff I didn't need (TPI 305 700r4). Maybe if you're not worried about which trim package your car has, look for a base model with a v6? Those can be had a lot cheaper.
Old 02-12-2014, 01:04 PM
Supreme Member

Received 58 Likes on 42 Posts
Car: 92 Firebird
Engine: Supercharged 6.0
Transmission: T56
Axle/Gears: 8.8 3.73

Find a body you like. Running gear, present or not makes no difference

Remember a decent paint job will cost as much if not more than the drivetrain
Old 02-12-2014, 02:35 PM

Thanks for the replies. I wasn't even aware of the subforum-ill be a bit more vigilant next time I'm posting a new thread.

A 5.3 with a turbo is the general direction I'd like to go. I know turbos fairly well (albeit really all of my experience is with diesel) and the price for a turbo+plumbing is a little more wallet friendly than the supercharger kits I've seen.
I always sort of went by the general 25% rule as far as drive train loss, I.e. for 400 whp I'd need ~525 flywheel hp. Honestly to me the whp isn't specifically important, I'd really like to be able to run a 12ish second 1/4 mile (while being street driveable if i wanted to, i already have a DD) and that was my rough estimate of what I would need. Is that about right? I know the suspension setup and the driveline itself is just as big of a factor at that horsepower level too.

Is it more common to use a 700r4 or a 4L60 behind a 5.3? I would figure if I could get the two already paired it might be easier even though there are more electrical components. Is that about right?
Old 02-13-2014, 06:10 AM
Supreme Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Car: 89 IROC
Engine: LSX 6.0 370, TU2 Cam, Fast intake
Transmission: T56 w/ lots of goodies
Axle/Gears: 8.8, Posi, 4.10, 31 Spline

To me Ive done the 3rd gen route from both sides. Ive bought complete cars and rollers. So far the rollers won as they are usually clean and well kept. Ive had good luck this way as the previous owner either gave up on the project or took the drivetrain for another project and the 3rd gen was a stepping block. Depending on where you live for emissions as Im not sure about the U.S. laws I would look into ones that dont need it. Im actually doing that right now for my car as im tired of giving my money away to the government and them not raising the bar on the years of emission exempt cars.

What ever you swap in will work out great as its something you want. Ive seen some 5.3 turbo builds that mop up alot of other swapped cars with huge money in them.
Old 02-13-2014, 04:30 PM

Received 35 Likes on 34 Posts
Car: 82 Berlinetta/57 Bel Air
Engine: LS1/LQ4
Transmission: 4L60E/4L80E
Axle/Gears: 12B-3.73/9"-3.89
4L60E is probably the most common overdrive tranny used. The TH700R-4 needs a throttle valve cable, which is a bit of a challenge with an LS engine (although you can get a valve body that eliminates the TV cable). I think the LS version of the 4L60E is superior to the previous versions, but I suppose that's open to debate. If you get a 5.3 from from a 4x2 light truck, if auto trans it'll have a 4L60E behind it. It can be used, but you'll need to handle the torque arm mount in some fashion or another.

Check my vBGarage. '82 Berlinetta, LS1/4L60E swap (LS1 upgraded to basically an LS6 clone, sans block upgrades). 3.73 gears, sticky tires, has a 11.82 @ 114.8 mph timeslip to its name. Daily driver (by my son at the moment, as his '01 S10 Blazer with LS/4L60E swap with earlier version 4L60E is down with tranny troubles - again).
Old 02-15-2014, 10:21 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Car: 88 trans am 72 olds cutlass
Engine: soon to be 5.3 455 olds
Transmission: soon to be t-56 2004r
Axle/Gears: 3.23 3.73

My personal choice would be to find a car with the least amount of rust and or the cleanest paint and interior as possible. Wether or not it has a drivetrain is a matter of opinion. On one hand if you bought a roller then there is less work because you dont have to pull, store, try and sell parts. On the other hand if there is a market in your area for parts then there is money to be had and your more likely to have all the fasteners you need. To me rust, damage repair, paint is the most expensive, time consuming part of a build.
Old 02-16-2014, 09:40 PM

Car: 91 Camaro RS
Engine: 305 TBI
Transmission: T-56 w/hurst short throw
Axle/Gears: unknown

The easiest yet would be a good car with a LS1/2 4L60E swap already and then improve the car.