LTX and LSX Putting LT1s, LS1s, and their variants into Third Gens is becoming more popular. This board is for those who are doing and have done the swaps so they can discuss all of their technical aspects including repairs, swap info, and performance upgrades.

Hooker Crossmember Questions

Search this Thread

Old 02-25-2017, 01:48 PM
Supreme Member

Received 635 Likes on 535 Posts
Hooker Crossmember Questions

Has anyone used Hooker's LS/T56 swap crossmember?

https://www.holley.com/products/exha...ts/71222005HKR

I'd like to see some installed pictures.
This particular part number is designed for the swap mentioned and also "to accomplish an LT1/LT4 T56 transmission swap behind a Gen 1 SBC engine."
Which is not exactly what I'm doing but should work nonetheless. Sort of.

Clearance around the exhaust is what I'm most interested in.
Old 02-27-2017, 12:33 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Car: 91Firebird Formula
Engine: 5.0 TBI / Now LS1
Transmission: Auto / Now T56 with stage 2 monster
Axle/Gears: 4/10
Re: Hooker Crossmember Questions

https://www.thirdgen.org/forums/ltx-...1-z28-ls1.html

Hear is a link to badnblks build that used it. I have it as well but it is not installed yet as I'm in the cleaning up the engine bay now.
Old 02-27-2017, 01:20 PM
Supreme Member

Thanks for that. I've actually checked out Bad's build thread. Unfortunately he didn't post any pictures of the actual crossmember install but that said, it does give an idea of what to expect.
Thanks again.
Post up when you get around to installing yours.
Old 02-28-2017, 06:07 AM
Supreme Member

Received 17 Likes on 10 Posts
Car: 91 Firebird
Engine: 6.0
Transmission: T56
Axle/Gears: 3.73

Here is the development thread that was posted here. Toddoky is the engineer for Holley who designed the system

https://www.thirdgen.org/forums/ltx-...roduce-lt.html

Bad used Hookers engine mounts that the trans crossmember is designed for.

If you are using a different engine mount setup, then it may not work.

I know Qwktrp tried to use it as a stand alone and had a issue with the torque arm mount hitting the reverse lockout solenoid.

https://www.thirdgen.org/forums/ltx-...ml#post6000127

In the development thread that was posted about the whole Holley system, they did successfully use that crossmember on a car with an L98 that they swapped in a T56.

https://www.thirdgen.org/forums/ltx-...ml#post5999662

I am debating buying one later this year when I get back around to working on the firebird.... got some other irons in the fire that I need to finish and send down the road.

Last edited by Jaysz28; 02-28-2017 at 06:20 AM. Reason: links because no one searches anymore
Old 02-28-2017, 09:19 AM
Supreme Member

Thanks for that Jay. I think I've gone through those looking for bits of information.
I've also been in conversation with Toddoky about this adaptation and he has contributed to a couple of my threads and answered a few questions.
He jumps in at the end of this thread. Post #554.

https://www.thirdgen.org/forums/exha...xhaust-12.html

Maybe you'll find something useful there for your project.
As it is, I'm adapting outside of their described application in that I'm installing a differently cased 4L60. It's measurements are very close to that of a TH400 or 200R4.
I was ready to pull the trigger on this however what I've found is that my current y-pipe has 100% interference with the crossmember at it's lowest point.
Now it's a question of what I'm going to do about it. Personally I'd rather keep my exhaust and build my own crossmember to suit but it's sort of like six of one, a half dozen of the other. I need a new exhaust system in it's entirety. It's just that, like you, I have a few other "irons in the fire". For now, I'm going to limp around using the crossmember adapter that I've built. It's not designed to take any abuse but it will allow me to be mobile. That may open options for me regarding what I'll do next.
Old 02-28-2017, 10:59 AM
Supreme Member

Received 17 Likes on 10 Posts
Car: 91 Firebird
Engine: 6.0
Transmission: T56
Axle/Gears: 3.73

Thanks for sharing that link Skinny..... I am going to peruse that now.

just amazing how tight that *one* area is under these cars.

If they had just left the "frame rails" straight, there would be soooo much more room... and options for us to take.

I have seen someone cut the rails off of the floorboard and move them outwards. However, that is way more fab work than 1) I can afford and 2) am able to do myself.
Old 02-28-2017, 11:18 AM
Supreme Member

This what I'm up against.
The picture below shows where my "new" transmission mount is going to be . (Moved from the transmission case to the extension housing). My y-pipe is smack in the middle of the crossmember.
At one time, I was managing a small chassis shop . This sort of thing was routine for us. Unfortunately, I've since left that and I don't have the resources available any longer. The y-pipe you see in the pic below (although old and beat up now) and the crossmember were all produced in the shop. I'd hate to cut the pipe up because as a system with headers, y-pipe, cat back and crossmember it's a drop in replacement for anyone looking for an upgrade.

Circled in red is where the rear transmission mount is going to be located.

Last edited by skinny z; 02-28-2017 at 11:24 AM.
Old 02-28-2017, 11:23 AM

Received 21 Likes on 17 Posts

I think the only people that have had fitment issues with the crossmember have been using the BMR tubular K member for their LS swap with a T56. This moves the motor back about 1/2 inch and the Hooker crossmember hits the transmission case. As long as your motor is within 1/4 inch or so of stock, you should have issues with the crossmember hitting the transmission. It does look like your exhaust will need to be modified though based on where you're saying the mount will be.
Old 02-28-2017, 11:43 AM
Supreme Member

Talking with Toddoky, he's provided the exact dimensions for the LT1 and LS1 T56's as well as that of the TH400/200R4 which is similar to but not exactly as mine. I can leave my OEM mounts in place on the Gen 1 small block and deal with the fitment from there. I'm off by an inch and a bit and the crossmember would have to have the trans mount holes slotted. But, as you saw, the pipe is the deal breaker here.
Old 12-15-2017, 04:27 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by skinny z
Talking with Toddoky, he's provided the exact dimensions for the LT1 and LS1 T56's as well as that of the TH400/200R4 which is similar to but not exactly as mine. I can leave my OEM mounts in place on the Gen 1 small block and deal with the fitment from there. I'm off by an inch and a bit and the crossmember would have to have the trans mount holes slotted. But, as you saw, the pipe is the deal breaker here.
old thread but I'm using it since beginning of 2017. It's a miracle worker crossmember for 3" SS and no ground clearance issues. However, the pipe gets the trans mount hot, so don't expect the poly mounts to last very long
Attached Thumbnails Hooker Crossmember Questions-4-1280.jpg   Hooker Crossmember Questions-8-1280.jpg  
Old 12-15-2017, 07:21 PM
Supreme Member

Thanks for the insight. I can't say I've had any issues with my stainless pipes and the modified OEM crossmember I've been using. Clearance is 3/16ths (and less since I've had to build a temporary rear trans mount until I get this Hooker part in place. There's definitely contact now). I've had the cross member and mount in and out of the car a dozen times over the years but you never know.

Good looking exhaust you have there. Whose panhard bar is that? I can't make out the decal. Looks like a required piece of equipment to get a big pipe over the axle.