LTX and LSX Putting LT1s, LS1s, and their variants into Third Gens is becoming more popular. This board is for those who are doing and have done the swaps so they can discuss all of their technical aspects including repairs, swap info, and performance upgrades.

Lq4/4l80e swap that works

Search this Thread

Old 09-09-2017, 02:57 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Car: 1987 Sports coupe/z28
Engine: 2.8/ swapping 5.3
Transmission: 700r4
Axle/Gears: Open 3.42
Lq4/4l80e swap that works

I am planning on doing a lq4/4l80e swap into my 1987 2.8 sports coupe. I have been doing a lot of research so I can do everything once and the right way. I will be paying for labor to get the engine in and running. The problem is a lot of things seem to be out of date or contradicting. I want to put the engine in with as least work possible. I had the lt1 in my last camaro but I know there is a lot more work involved in this one. Maybe.
example I seen use spohn motor mounts and another thread saying the engine won't sit correctly. Or the truck intake won't fit and others who have got it in beating and massaging things.

So my plan is drop the motor in with the truck intake and accessories.

(I know most will say just go to car accessories. I plan on getting a tbss intake in the future. I want to keep the alt because I can upgrade to escalde 210 amp alt in the future for my car audio.)

I plan on getting long tube headers with a 4th gen speed engineering true dual exhaust.
I want to go to 3.23 gears from my 3.42
for a daily driver. I will make up the gears with a small converter later. I am not sure all the 4l80e will need to fit.

So I am looking for some advice. Like I can i swap the ls1 fuel pump or is it not strong enough. Which motor mounts. Which radiator hoses work. I know I will need a corvette fuel pressure regulator I believe. Most of the info that says one thing won't work another thread they have it working. Any other questions you need from me let me know please. Thank you.
Old 09-09-2017, 04:32 PM

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Car: 1992 Pontiac Trans Am Convertible
Engine: 6.0l LQ4
Transmission: T56
Axle/Gears: 3.73 True Trac
Re: Lq4/4l80e swap that works

Originally Posted by jaybdaboat
I am planning on doing a lq4/4l80e swap into my 1987 2.8 sports coupe. I have been doing a lot of research so I can do everything once and the right way. I will be paying for labor to get the engine in and running. The problem is a lot of things seem to be out of date or contradicting. I want to put the engine in with as least work possible. I had the lt1 in my last camaro but I know there is a lot more work involved in this one. Maybe.
example I seen use spohn motor mounts and another thread saying the engine won't sit correctly. Or the truck intake won't fit and others who have got it in beating and massaging things.

So my plan is drop the motor in with the truck intake and accessories.

(I know most will say just go to car accessories. I plan on getting a tbss intake in the future. I want to keep the alt because I can upgrade to escalde 210 amp alt in the future for my car audio.)

I plan on getting long tube headers with a 4th gen speed engineering true dual exhaust.
I want to go to 3.23 gears from my 3.42
for a daily driver. I will make up the gears with a small converter later. I am not sure all the 4l80e will need to fit.

So I am looking for some advice. Like I can i swap the ls1 fuel pump or is it not strong enough. Which motor mounts. Which radiator hoses work. I know I will need a corvette fuel pressure regulator I believe. Most of the info that says one thing won't work another thread they have it working. Any other questions you need from me let me know please. Thank you.
I have done a LQ4 4L80E swap before. You can use the truck intake but you'll need a cowl hood or cut a hole in the hood. I am pretty sure the truck alternator is going to stick out as well ( I used F-Body accessories), I used the Spohn mounts without issue. You will need a custom trans cross-member I had one from my swap but not sure if I kept it or threw it out I will have to look around. This is a good site for info on wiring http://www.lt1swap.com/dbw.htm . You can get away with the stock 5.0/5.7 L98 pump but recommend using a higher volume aftermarket. You will need a corvette fuel filter/regulator for sure there are kits you can get on ebay. As far as hoses I used the 4th gen upper with my 4th gen accessories, with the truck water pump you may need to get creative, the 4th gen lower hose will work as well you will just need to twist it slightly while you are tightening the clamps to keep it off the idler arm.
Old 09-09-2017, 05:19 PM

Thank you for the quick response. I plan on getting a cowl hood to clear the Intake. Would it clear the accessories too? If a tpi fuel pump will work I will swap to the ls1 fuel pump. I know there are little things I could be forgetting in this thread as well. You already doing the swap would you be able to tell me what else is needed. I am trying to swap over as many junkyard parts from other gm cars that will help with the swap.
Old 09-09-2017, 06:12 PM

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Car: 1992 Pontiac Trans Am Convertible
Engine: 6.0l LQ4
Transmission: T56
Axle/Gears: 3.73 True Trac

Originally Posted by jaybdaboat
Thank you for the quick response. I plan on getting a cowl hood to clear the Intake. Would it clear the accessories too? If a tpi fuel pump will work I will swap to the ls1 fuel pump. I know there are little things I could be forgetting in this thread as well. You already doing the swap would you be able to tell me what else is needed. I am trying to swap over as many junkyard parts from other gm cars that will help with the swap.
No problem, not sure if the Alt will clear the hood or not honestly. As you get questions just ask away.
Old 09-09-2017, 06:54 PM

That's is my biggest concern is the alt. Trying to decide which hood to go with. I will have to have every part dropped off since I am not doing the swap. That's why I am trying to gather a list now. I been searching for months no clear answers.
Old 09-12-2017, 05:43 PM

So to make it fit
Any lsx motor mounts should work?
Will everything clear with a 3" cowl hood including alt?
Which crossmember will I need for the 4l80e?
Old 09-12-2017, 07:17 PM
Supreme Member

Received 408 Likes on 259 Posts
Car: 1984 TA (1 stock / 1 custom)
Engine: LG4 / turbo LQ4
Transmission: 700R4 / 4L80E
Axle/Gears: Stock / 4:11 Moser 9"

I'm using UMIs LS motor mounts. They worked much better than Spohn's. I couldn't get the engine to sit level with Spohn's mounts.
For the 4L80e crossmember, I used one made by PA Racing. It fit fine. I had to massage the tunnel slightly in 2 spots.
I have a build thread but photobucket broke all my picture links.
Old 09-14-2017, 04:25 PM

Are there certain years to look for, for the lq4. I know 01+. I am asking for the pedal to hook up will I need anything else. I know my lt1 about nickel and dimed me to death. So this one can't be this simple, can it?
Old 10-07-2017, 10:40 PM

So my 2.8 caught on fire! I will not be able to do the lq4 build. Looks like a 5.3 build as cheap as possible to get in. Any help? I did some research and found out the s10 swap mounts should would with a shaved truck intake and stock hood. If so, this would be a big savings.